The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mattias Ohlund's Career May Be Over

Disappointing news for Mattias.

Sorry to see his career end this way.

I wasnt even aware of this knee problem till now.

As someone that has had an athletic career cut short because of knee problems it sucks.

You know mentally, and everything else physically you can do it...but 1 defective piece stops you.

Ohlund deserves to be in the ring of honor.

Best defenceman the Canucks have ever had.

Absolutely. And not just for his play but also for the effect he had and the leadership he showed to our younger D men.

Really hope this isn't the end of his career but I do hope that he thinks wisely about it. No use forcing the knee to play pro-level hockey and risk damaging it further. As he said, his knee is fine for normal life stuff and that's more important than hockey.

Good luck to him.

Damn I miss this guy. I'm going to go watch Ohlund destroy people on youtube for a bit.

EDIT: 2 of my favorites with Ohlund on Tampa:

These two hits aren't that bad either

But my favorite one of all and one that proves that Ohlund will forever be a Canuck:

Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm a fan too. He was our version of Scott Stevens in that he could clean your clock with a big hit and he could score big goals as well. But he was pretty nasty too, like Stevens. He hit to hurt you and I remember many occasions where I would see him cream someone and think "Ouch, dirty hit. Thank God he's on my team". One thing I'll bet; if some soft Canuck player was on the recieving end of any of the hits in those clips and the hitter was, say, a Boston Bruin EVERYBODY here would be screaming blue murder about them. I respect Ohlund for coming back after his terrible eye injury and still being an effective player. If it really is over for him he has nothing to be ashamed of and has a great career to remember.

• 4 months later...

Bumping this with a new quote from Ohlund today. Doesn't sound like he has improved

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports 10h

Former #Canuck Mattias Ohlund tells St. Petersburgh Times - "My chances of playing again are very minor."

Very sad. I always thought he was one of our classiest players. And his departure was rather unceremonious.

Good luck to him

One of my favourite players when he was with Vancouver. Sucks, he can't play right now and doesn't seem like he'll play in the future.

Archived