The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mattias Ohlund's Career May Be Over

UNHAPPY ENDING: D Mattias Ohlund, who has not been on skates since Nov. 11, said the surgery he had in February to repair his left knee has not had the desired effect, and for the first time acknowledged what so many have been thinking: His career might be over.

"I'm not even close to skating," Ohlund said. "Clearly, it's not going the way I thought or everybody wanted when I had my surgery done. My normal life is fine but I'm not close to where I want to be."

Ohlund, 36, had what amounted to a partial knee replacement as a thin layer of titanium resurfaced the bottom of his femur at the joint behind the kneecap. Cartilage there had worn away causing painful bone-on-bone friction.

"Nobody has told me it's impossible to ever play again, but clearly the longer it goes the chances of that are getting tougher and tougher," Ohlund said. "You have to be realistic that the chances are not great."

The problem for the team is the $11.75 million Ohlund has left on a contract that runs through 2015-16. Because he is injured he can't be bought out. Ohlund and Yzerman will chat this season about Ohlund's future.

Considering the surgeries he's already been through and his age, it was likely he'd retire anyways or at best get another year or two. Good person and player, and hope he and his family can rest and enjoy his retirement if that's what it comes to.

Damn I miss this guy. I'm going to go watch Ohlund destroy people on youtube for a bit.

EDIT: 2 of my favorites with Ohlund on Tampa:

These two hits aren't that bad either

But my favorite one of all and one that proves that Ohlund will forever be a Canuck:

"The problem for the team is the $11.75 million Ohlund has left on a contract that runs through 2015-16. Because he is injured he can't be bought out. Ohlund and Yzerman will chat this season about Ohlund's future."

Why is it a problem? Ohlund can go on long-term injured reserve and insurance should cover his salary for the Lightning. :huh:

"The problem for the team is the $11.75 million Ohlund has left on a contract that runs through 2015-16. Because he is injured he can't be bought out. Ohlund and Yzerman will chat this season about Ohlund's future."

Why is it a problem? Ohlund can go on long-term injured reserve and insurance should cover his salary for the Lightning. :huh:

When Ohlund left it was probably one of the things that frustrated me with the Canucks the most. I still felt he had a good handful of years left in him, even if they weren't using him as well as Crawford did. I remember when Mitchell got hurt and Ohlund stepped up to the shutdown role and he dominated that role as usual, such a steady and useful player on both ends of the ice that could do it all.

Hands down my favorite defenseman of all time, used to pretend I was him when I was playing road hockey as a kid. Definitely should be in the ROH.

Archived