The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tide Has Turned in Vancouver: A Prediction

King of the ES

In a sentence, I am officially predicting that the Vancouver Canucks will MISS the playoffs in 2013.

Here's why:

-Goaltending fiasco. Don't care about PC responses from the players or the GM, this will be a major distraction that will have an adverse effect on team morale. Awkward locker room. Poor allocation of cap dollars. I've said for a long time that the Canucks really missed the boat by not trading Schneider for something that could've seriously helped up in a Cup run last year, and it will for a long time be a regret of ours, IMO. Whatever we get for Luongo will be unexciting and we'll still have a relatively unproven goalie backstopping an alleged "team built to win now". Not a good combination.

-Complacency. Why didn't anybody go to Europe? Practicing with the UBC team is hardly an adequate preparation for the season. Makes me think that this bunch has largely lost their hunger. A 5-game post-season exit last year adds credence to this thought. By not going to Europe/Russia, the message in essence is that they'd rather stay in their posh Vancouver homes than be bothered to go try and compete to help stay sharp. Not a good sign. Of course, this doesn't include everybody, but the vast majority of the team chose to not play hockey in the downtime. I expect it to cost them.

-Calgary has gotten better. Added good scoring depth in Hudler, and late-season acquisition Cammalleri. Got rid of Jokinen, which is addition by subtraction. Got a proven PP QB in Wideman. Most importantly, a new coach. Would not surprise me at all to see the Flames win the division, somewhat like the Canucks did in '06-'07, out of nowhere and under AV's rookie year behind the bench.

-Edmonton has gotten better. Justin Schultz is going to be a star. I like the Fistric acquisition a lot. Dubnyk was very good at the Spengler Cup. Heavy momentum going into the year. Key guys are already in mid-season form.

-Minnesota has gotten better. Granlund, Parise, & Suter should all have an immediate and material impact.

David Booth's injury announcement yesterday just makes me more confident that this is one of those years where essentially everything's going to go wrong for the Canucks. The Jason Garrison signing is also one that I was/am vehemently against. Don't expect it to turn out good. Sami Salo's presence on the back end will be sorely missed.

And no, I am not "hating", so please don't suggest that I am. This is an opinion of mine that I am fully entitled to. Feel free to debate and/or include your own prediction.

I don't see how King of the ES hasn't repeatedly violated forum rule #7:

7. If you are a fan of a rival NHL team, you will not attempt to antagonize Canucks fans.

This is a Canucks site and Canucks fans have a right to a place where they can discuss the team amongst themselves in peace.

In a sentence, I am officially predicting that the Vancouver Canucks will MISS the playoffs in 2013.

Here's why:

-Goaltending fiasco. Don't care about PC responses from the players or the GM, this will be a major distraction that will have an adverse effect on team morale. Awkward locker room. Poor allocation of cap dollars. I've said for a long time that the Canucks really missed the boat by not trading Schneider for something that could've seriously helped up in a Cup run last year, and it will for a long time be a regret of ours, IMO. Whatever we get for Luongo will be unexciting and we'll still have a relatively unproven goalie backstopping an alleged "team built to win now". Not a good combination.

-Complacency. Why didn't anybody go to Europe? Practicing with the UBC team is hardly an adequate preparation for the season. Makes me think that this bunch has largely lost their hunger. A 5-game post-season exit last year adds credence to this thought. By not going to Europe/Russia, the message in essence is that they'd rather stay in their posh Vancouver homes than be bothered to go try and compete to help stay sharp. Not a good sign. Of course, this doesn't include everybody, but the vast majority of the team chose to not play hockey in the downtime. I expect it to cost them.

-Calgary has gotten better. Added good scoring depth in Hudler, and late-season acquisition Cammalleri. Got rid of Jokinen, which is addition by subtraction. Got a proven PP QB in Wideman. Most importantly, a new coach. Would not surprise me at all to see the Flames win the division, somewhat like the Canucks did in '06-'07, out of nowhere and under AV's rookie year behind the bench.

-Edmonton has gotten better. Justin Schultz is going to be a star. I like the Fistric acquisition a lot. Dubnyk was very good at the Spengler Cup. Heavy momentum going into the year. Key guys are already in mid-season form.

-Minnesota has gotten better. Granlund, Parise, & Suter should all have an immediate and material impact.

David Booth's injury announcement yesterday just makes me more confident that this is one of those years where essentially everything's going to go wrong for the Canucks. The Jason Garrison signing is also one that I was/am vehemently against. Don't expect it to turn out good. Sami Salo's presence on the back end will be sorely missed.

And no, I am not "hating", so please don't suggest that I am. This is an opinion of mine that I am fully entitled to. Feel free to debate and/or include your own prediction.

No second line to start the year is not exactly what is needed to have a winning year,especially out of the gate.

Kes and Burr are the heart of this team.Kes and now Booth are gone so what do we have for a second?

Ebbett and Manny and Lappy can all have turnaround years so the center position does not bother me for a few months of waiting on Kes.The wingers-solid second line ,tough,veteran wingers that could seriously challenge any other team in a cup run are not here.

Gillis is now forced to trade Luongo,no matter what kind of happy face he would like to paste on the situation in and through the media.

The Lou deal makes this team and is a very significant juncture in this version of Gillis at the helm of the Canucks.

I think the Canucks will struggle a bit this season.

But i think we will make the playoff between 3-6 (still a weak division) and like the kings, will step it up towards the end. However, i'm not saying(realistically) that we will go all the way, but i think we win our first round matchup, maybe 2.

The team has issues but this team has had issues going into every season.

Goaltending is what it is and really it's nothing.

Not every player has to go to Europe to prove they have drive and desire. It seems silly to even have to say this but really most of these guys who weren't healing up were either training on their own, with co-workers or they were in Europe. There seem to be moles coming out of your mountain.

Calgary has gotten slightly better but in all honesty much more needs to be done for that team than adding big contracts with less than big players. Their best players are getting older and...well that's all really for now. Pissing and moaning about Garrison all off season and then talking about Wideman is laughable. Bottom of the division for them if they don't make more changes.

Edmonton hasn't gotten better they've gotten more experienced. I see them coming out of the gates strong(ish) but adding one young player to a team full of young players isn't going to do much. They'll see an improvement this year and they'll easily leap from Calgary in the standings; hell maybe even a push for the playoffs.

Minny got better. Parise will be a big improvement and Suter will actually give them somebody who can lead by example on D. Adding 2 players though won't be enough. They'll make the playoffs this season or at least they should. They have more work to do though.

Booth is unfortunate but we'll survive it. Garrison will bring everything Salo brought and more.He'll have good nights and he'll have bad nights.

If you're not simply hating on the team (you are btw, anyone who feels the need to say they aren't just hating is in fact hating) then you're being a drama queen. (You're that as well.) There will be stumbling blocks; hell there are stumbling blocks but this is nothing new...just like your posts.

Glad you started this thread, because it saved me from doing it.

I am also predicting they will miss the playoffs, for most of the same reasons. This organization and the players have grown complacent. It really bothers me that so few players went to play in Europe, especially when you compare to a team like the Bruins.

The Canucks are typically slow starters to the season anyway. In a short season there is allot less time to make up for that. Add the facts that they had fewer players active than almost any other team, that they have some key injuries (most of their second line), that they don't really have a third line centre to begin with let alone one who can move up to the second line to replace Kessler, and that they haven't dealt with the Luongo situation and I think you have a recipe for disaster.

I hope we're both wrong, but I'm not expecting much this year.

Here's why:

If you're not simply hating on the team (you are btw, anyone who feels the need to say they aren't just hating is in fact hating) then you're being a drama queen. (You're that as well.) There will be stumbling blocks; hell there are stumbling blocks but this is nothing new...just like your posts.Employee

I think you are full of it,Employee.

Any fan can be objective all the time,especially when going on five decades without a cup.

Drama queen ,your posts are stumbling blocks,you are a hater,sucking up to Deb.etc..

Pretty ugly stuff first thing in the morning.

I think the Canucks missing the Playoffs is a bit of stretch, KoES.

The way I see things, the season will probably start out high scoring. Teams will make tons of mistakes in costly areas while they work out rust and build chemistry. As time passes by and teams get a feel for where they stand, the games will probably take on a more defensive style. This will suit the Canucks because, in my eyes, goaltending and defense are the team's strengths right now. The boys are going to have a more difficult time scoring without Kes and Booth, so, a focus on team defence and special teams is imperative. A good PP, a good PK and solid goaltending will go a long way towards being successful until injuries have healed.

The Northwest has improved, KoES, I agree there. I also agree that you are nothing short of a fat, little, bearded troll who enjoys stirring up the sh!t here on a Canuck's message board.

Good day to you, Grumpy!

Thanks for the early morning laugh King :lol::picard:

And for the billionth time, the goalies will not be a distraction. Luongo an Schneider have stated many times that they're great friends, when will this get through your thick skull? You're almsot as annoying as Canucks Hockey 101 refusing to believe Luongo is being traded.

People stating that "not going to Europe" will be a bad thing - it may (or may not) be. There's a flipside to not getting a jump on things and that is that the players who haven't been playing will be fresh, rested and chomping at the bit. They're eager to get out there.

We point to the grueling schedule and travel as grinding the team down by playoffs in regular seasons....maybe this year the difference will be that our guys will have enough in the tank and head in fully charged? Healthy (for once). Things just might line up that way.

So I don't see the negative projection thing coming into play until it's warranted with at least some signs that things are faltering. For crying out loud, the puck hasn't even dropped on game one and you're throwing in the towel? What's the point in you even bothering at all then? To say you're right if it pans out the way you've expected? "Fanboys" are simply people who are excited about the team and the game of hockey...is that a crime? Or are the negative nellie know it all naysayers maybe depriving themselves of the real joy in the game and missing out on that? Do you go into Christmas saying "I know there's not going to be anything I like under the tree"?. Kind of spoils it....there's a big picture and you miss out in a lot of happy times by doing that. It's the Eeyore factor and some of us take a different route. There is no wrong/right - it's all about what you get out of the game I guess. I will see some great hockey leading UP to the playoffs and that's a positive. I'll think about the playoffs at the playoffs.

While you're entitled to your opinion, "fanboys" suggests we're wrong but it's all about how you view the game (and life in general) and what you take out of it. I love hockey and am thrilled that it's back...I don't know that not having a negative feeling surrounding it is a bad thing.

Archived