The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Fans Seem to Forgive Everything

BigRedMachine

"But even as a casual observer, I am at a loss to explain the unwavering devotion to a team that, in four decades of play, has failed to win a Stanley Cup."

Right, because if your team doesn't win the cup your supposed to pick a new team to cheer for?

it's a funny comparison, one which i think is derived more from hard feelings about the waldorf, than it is about the canucks.

the juxtaposition here is that during the lockout most fans seemed to express a real sense of frustration. it seemed difficult to find many who remained supportive of the leagues bargaining process while hoards tripped over themselves, frothing at the mouth, to disparage it. "boycott" "done with the nhl" "don't care anymore" "none of my money" were pretty common sights and sounds. now that the league is back, that stance is hardly visible, overshadowed by excitement for the games ahead.

lets contrast that with the situation at the waldorf. the place brought in great, and i really mean great, up and coming acts from all over. tickets were reasonable, we'll even call them cheap, and likewise with the drinks on the inside. the place was often pretty empty. now that it's closing down everyone and their dog is wearing a black armband.

so, after working this out in type, he's actually slagging us, over pretty ambiguous unrelated consumer habits.

weak premise.

I am a fan of hockey, not of cups or prizes. Have been since Stan Smyl was a rookie. I sometimes go to 5 or 6 games a year, some years no games depending on financial commitments. A fan of all hockey teams that play but of course the Canucks are the team i follow closely. I can see the writer does not think the same way!!

Stephen Quinn is nothing more than a CBC hack who fails to grasp the fact that all Canadian teams will have fans coming back in droves. It's only because he lives in a land of pixie-dust that he can criticize the Canucks while failing to grasp that Montreal fans are just as willing to come back (he even says that the FB fan page is made up of >1/2 of Habs fans)

"But even as a casual observer, I am at a loss to explain the unwavering devotion to a team that, in four decades of play, has failed to win a Stanley Cup."

Right, because if your team doesn't win the cup your supposed to pick a new team to cheer for?

Archived