The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Wade Redden

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413673

With the new accelerated compliance buyout in mind, the New York Rangers placed defenceman Wade Redden on unconditional waivers on Wednesday for the purpose of buying him out.

Redden has played the last two seasons with the Connecticut Whale of the AHL but according to his agent Don Meehan, he would prefer to be playing in the NHL.

"Yes, (he) is anxious to resume play in the NHL," said Meehan on TSN Radio 1050's Cybulski and Company. "If the opportunity affords itself he'd very much like that."

The new policy adopted on Tuesday allows teams to buy out one player with at least a $3 million average salary and incur a full cap hit this season, but no cap hit in the future.

If Redden clears waivers on Thursday at Noon et, the Rangers will exercise their one accelerated compliance buyout.

I wonder what his contract value is.

His AHL stats are fine: 12 goals, 62 points in 119 games, -9. 7 points in 16 playoff games.

He's 35, probably wanting a 1 year contract to prove himself. It's a 48 game season (obv.), so there's very little risk in signing him for a team with cap space and contract space.

He's 3 1/2 years away from his successful Senator years, and 2 1/2 years away from a 26 point season.

He hasn't complained at all about being an AHLer, which makes me think he is a character guy.

He has the size 6'2, 210.. has anybody seen him skate lately? Is he quick enough?

Honestly, depending what he wanted, he might be an upgrade on the 7th spot over Andrew Alberts, and Vandermeer can already replace the toughness that Alberts brought.

I am curious to see what he'll be offered.

His AHL stats are fine: 12 goals, 62 points in 119 games, -9. 7 points in 16 playoff games.

He's 35, probably wanting a 1 year contract to prove himself. It's a 48 game season (obv.), so there's very little risk in signing him for a team with cap space and contract space.

He's 3 1/2 years away from his successful Senator years, and 2 1/2 years away from a 26 point season.

He hasn't complained at all about being an AHLer, which makes me think he is a character guy.

He has the size 6'2, 210.. has anybody seen him skate lately? Is he quick enough?

Honestly, depending what he wanted, he might be an upgrade on the 7th spot over Andrew Alberts, and Vandermeer can already replace the toughness that Alberts brought.

Apparently he has had drug/alcohol problems and has been to rehab multiple times. But who knows, maybe he's clean now?

Did anyone see him play in the AHL last year? If he can play anything like his old days then he'd be a solid 7th D man for us.

I wouldn't want him to replace Tanev though, so unless Ballard bombs or there's an injury, I'd sit him in the press box.

Archived