#1 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413673

With the new accelerated compliance buyout in mind, the New York Rangers placed defenceman Wade Redden on unconditional waivers on Wednesday for the purpose of buying him out.
Redden has played the last two seasons with the Connecticut Whale of the AHL but according to his agent Don Meehan, he would prefer to be playing in the NHL.
"Yes, (he) is anxious to resume play in the NHL," said Meehan on TSN Radio 1050's Cybulski and Company. "If the opportunity affords itself he'd very much like that."
The new policy adopted on Tuesday allows teams to buy out one player with at least a $3 million average salary and incur a full cap hit this season, but no cap hit in the future.
If Redden clears waivers on Thursday at Noon et, the Rangers will exercise their one accelerated compliance buyout.

Edited by George_Costanza, 16 January 2013 - 12:39 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm glad he gets a second chance.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#3 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

http://www.freep.com...roit Red Wings)

The Detroit Red Wings want to improve their defense and are looking at Wade Redden as a possible solution.

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Omg Never saw this coming!!!

Who would have guess the possibilty of this 3-4 seasons ago lol
Posted Image

#5 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

They took a chance on Commodore last year and they need D even more this year. I could see them definitely taking a chance. A return to Ottawa isn't out of the question either.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#6 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

They took a chance on Commodore last year and they need D even more this year. I could see them definitely taking a chance. A return to Ottawa isn't out of the question either.

I bet the oilers will get Gretzky to call him
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#7 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I wonder what his contract value is.

His AHL stats are fine: 12 goals, 62 points in 119 games, -9. 7 points in 16 playoff games.

He's 35, probably wanting a 1 year contract to prove himself. It's a 48 game season (obv.), so there's very little risk in signing him for a team with cap space and contract space.

He's 3 1/2 years away from his successful Senator years, and 2 1/2 years away from a 26 point season.

He hasn't complained at all about being an AHLer, which makes me think he is a character guy.

He has the size 6'2, 210.. has anybody seen him skate lately? Is he quick enough?

Honestly, depending what he wanted, he might be an upgrade on the 7th spot over Andrew Alberts, and Vandermeer can already replace the toughness that Alberts brought.

I am curious to see what he'll be offered.

#8 CrazyAL

CrazyAL

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I bet the oilers will get Gretzky to call him

Okay that was good :lol:

#9 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I have always liked Redden and think MG should atleast talk to his agent on a one year deal,plus Gomez's agent and get them both for one year as they will be playing for a contract next year.
Posted Image

#10 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I could see the OIlers, Wings, Sharks, possibly Philly to give this a look.

#11 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

His AHL stats are fine: 12 goals, 62 points in 119 games, -9. 7 points in 16 playoff games.

He's 35, probably wanting a 1 year contract to prove himself. It's a 48 game season (obv.), so there's very little risk in signing him for a team with cap space and contract space.

He's 3 1/2 years away from his successful Senator years, and 2 1/2 years away from a 26 point season.

He hasn't complained at all about being an AHLer, which makes me think he is a character guy.

He has the size 6'2, 210.. has anybody seen him skate lately? Is he quick enough?

Honestly, depending what he wanted, he might be an upgrade on the 7th spot over Andrew Alberts, and Vandermeer can already replace the toughness that Alberts brought.

We won't get him, other teams have more need. Certainly no shortage of YouTube highlights from his AHL team last year, The Whale, though.

Interview with him:
http://youtu.be/2s6RH_r4ksc
Highlights from last year, starting with a couple of assists:
http://youtu.be/yoRE5T8nAak
Goal at the 2:27 mark:
http://youtu.be/lAdvluRIs7E
Goal at the 2:00 mark:
http://youtu.be/506a3FM3A0E

Edited by elvis15, 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#12 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

When there are plenty of teams who would use him in the top 6, why would he go to a team that already has 9 NHL defencemen on it?

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

When there are plenty of teams who would use him in the top 6, why would he go to a team that already has 9 NHL defencemen on it?

Because we're trading Edler and Ballard with Luongo to get all the first round picks - haven't you been reading the threads around here?

But seriously, Ottawa with Cowan out would be my first guess, but Detroit and others will pursue him as well.

#14 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ottawa and Edmonton should call his agent.

So should MG

#15 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I see him ending up with either Ottawa or Detroit. It's nice to see him get a second chance.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Watch him end up in Detroit and win the Norris...

#17 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Apparently he has had drug/alcohol problems and has been to rehab multiple times. But who knows, maybe he's clean now?
Did anyone see him play in the AHL last year? If he can play anything like his old days then he'd be a solid 7th D man for us.
I wouldn't want him to replace Tanev though, so unless Ballard bombs or there's an injury, I'd sit him in the press box.

#18 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I bet now that Detroit has shown interest, the people calling Redden overrated will now want him on the Canucks.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.