The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Newfoundland Students Can't Find Atlantic Ocean

nucklehead

That's right, these are Canadian University students. Memorial University is a stones throw from the Atlantic. It's not known what they believe that large body of water to be. There are no words...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/01/14/nl-students-dont-know-geography-115.html

Adler decided she had to make sure her students knew the locations she was talking about. She handed out a blank map, and gave her students simple instructions: Identify Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.

"The results were really mind-opening to me," she said.

"They should not be confusing Antarctica and the Arctic, and they should know that they live on the Atlantic Ocean ... and they should be able to know where North America is."

I've got to say...

Working with several Newfies for a couple of years now and having the good fortune of actually sailing into St. John's on one occasion - these students are screwing with their Professor.

If I asked a Newfie to do some stupid menial quiz then he'd give me some pretty ridiculous answers for no other reason than a laugh. They've got a twisted sense of humour... even to their own detriment at times.

So does that mean i have a better chance in getting into Memorial university now? Think i learned that in grade 5. Will admit geography isn't as forced as it use to be. This is kind of the same as my New Brunswickers not knowing where the Miramichi river is located.

I've got to say...

Working with several Newfies for a couple of years now and having the good fortune of actually sailing into St. John's on one occasion - these students are screwing with their Professor.

If I asked a Newfie to do some stupid menial quiz then he'd give me some pretty ridiculous answers for no other reason than a laugh. They've got a twisted sense of humour... even to their own detriment at times.

Archived