The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

sign Gomez and Redden

fatman169

I don't think gomez would be a bad idea if he came cheap but redden we'd have absolutely no need for. Gomez would probably do a better job filling that 2nd line C position then that we got now and would be just fine on the 3rd line C once kesler got back

Here is what i wrote in another thread:

At 7+ million Gomez is not worth getting. At somewhere around 1 million though especially when putting him into a system like ours with shoot-first wingers? That is the very definition of a sleeper situation. He is still a skilled playmaker and puck possession center. Just not at 7 million bucks per year. The weight of that contract has been huge and he has played in two of the biggest and most harsh hockey cities in NY and MTL. About the only real risk at a million or less is if he can handle the pressure of playing in Van and raise his game. But at a million even if he can't is it a really big loss?

At the very least, how much better would our 2nd PP look even if that is the only place he ever played?

Risk/Reward, people......its the name of the game.

We already signed some defensive depth, would be nice to add another forward too. Gomez if the price is right, maybe a change of scenery is all he needs. I also wouldnt object to Arnott either for the right price.

In this shortned season injuries are going to be key so more depth at forward as well couldnt hurt. Depending on the asking price.

Just to be clear, whoever signs these two will NOT be responsible for their salaries? If so I'd P.T.O. Gomez and sign him, ONLY if he performs well, for near base salary for one year on a two-way deal to keep him motivated. On paper it would've looked okay several seasons ago and I hope he can recover that form, having won Cups with the Devils all those years ago.

With Kes and Booth out the team has question marks and could certainly use all the help it can get.

Twins - Burrows

Higgins - Arnott/ Gomez/ Schroeder - Kassian

Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen

not great, but the team can use any help it can get.

Archived