The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

sign Gomez and Redden

fatman169

Signing Gomez for anything below 2 would be great. He won't put the puck in the net like he used to, but he could make guys like Raymond, Higgins, Booth etc better. He's a good playmaker. We won't get the Devils era Gomez, but I don't think we get the Habs era Gomez either. NYR Gomez is worth 2-3 million and we could probably get him for 1-2. Why not?

1) He's better than any Kesler replacement we have. By a lot. Schroeder? ... he's skilled, but probably a career AHLer. Too small for the bottom 6, not good enough for the top 6. Hopefully I'll eat my words, but I doubt it. There's a reason he fell so far in the draft and has yet to do much in the AHL

2) He's better than any FA available. Arnott would be a great 3rd line center, but we need a guy to replace Kesler.

3) It's a short season. Going with a veteran is the right move.

4) Huge bargaining chip in Luongo dealings. Canucks don't need a guy like Bozak short term, so shoring up that hole gives Gillis more room to negotiate. With Gomez, we don't really even have to trade Luongo, or we could trade him for prospects that won't make the team. Without Gomez, it'll be a mediocre stop gap like Bozak coming back.

5) Our second line is currently Raymond - ? - ?

As for Redden...I doubt he'd even come here when other teams with less competition could offer him a job, but he's probably worth approaching.

Both of these guys were overrated when they inked their deals, and became underrated because of them. People say they suck because they aren't marquee players...but if they were making under 2 million the last few years you guys would be drooling over the prospect of them coming here. They're both worthy low risk, huge reward risks. Even if Gomez is a complete bust, he'd still probably be about as good as Lapierre.

Anybody who wouldn't sign Gomez to a bargain basement contract given our injuries up front would be squandering a great opportunity at little risk.

It is quite possible that he is washed up like Cheechoo, but it's also quite possible that he isn't.

Plenty of players have had a garbage year or two, then come back to post great seasons. Even Ray "buy my Mexican Real Estate" Ferraro enjoyed a great unexpected comeback at a later age than Gomez.

If Gomez turns out to suck again this year, then we're out less money than we paid Rome last year (probably).

Gomez was about to spend the year trying not to go stir crazy on the treadmill. He will view this season in the NHL as a gift from god. If he's ever going to bounce back, these are the circumstances.

I strongly agree with BCNeckties.

Gomez is a decent playmaker and surprisingly effective defensively. He's slammed because he was signed by NYR to a massive contract despite only topping 20 goals once in his previous 7 seasons. Not surprisingly, he hasn't been able to surpass 16 goals in a season since being signed by the Rangers.

Also, having a pass-first center on the second line might be good for Raymond and Booth (once he's healthy). If all goes well, he could play on a line with Booth and Kesler to end the season.

There's no reason why the Canucks wouldn't sign him if the "price is right". Gomez might actually consider an inexpensive contract to rebuild his career. And MG has been known to make signings like this.

As for Wade Redden, I don't see how this would ever happen. The Canucks d-core doesn't have any room for him right now. He will most likely end up on a team making up its second pairing (depending on how he plays). There are several teams that can offer him far more ice-time and a larger salary.

Signing Gomez for anything below 2 would be great. He won't put the puck in the net like he used to, but he could make guys like Raymond, Higgins, Booth etc better. He's a good playmaker. We won't get the Devils era Gomez, but I don't think we get the Habs era Gomez either. NYR Gomez is worth 2-3 million and we could probably get him for 1-2. Why not?

1) He's better than any Kesler replacement we have. By a lot. Schroeder? ... he's skilled, but probably a career AHLer. Too small for the bottom 6, not good enough for the top 6. Hopefully I'll eat my words, but I doubt it. There's a reason he fell so far in the draft and has yet to do much in the AHL

2) He's better than any FA available. Arnott would be a great 3rd line center, but we need a guy to replace Kesler.

4) Huge bargaining chip in Luongo dealings. Canucks don't need a guy like Bozak short term, so shoring up that hole gives Gillis more room to negotiate. With Gomez, we don't really even have to trade Luongo, or we could trade him for prospects that won't make the team. Without Gomez, it'll be a mediocre stop gap like Bozak coming back.

As for Redden...I doubt he'd even come here when other teams with less competition could offer him a job, but he's probably worth approaching.

Both of these guys were overrated when they inked their deals, and became underrated because of them. People say they suck because they aren't marquee players...but if they were making under 2 million the last few years you guys would be drooling over the prospect of them coming here. They're both worthy low risk, huge reward risks. Even if Gomez is a complete bust, he'd still probably be about as good as Lapierre.

Gomez had a really terrible year in Montreal, but I don't think that's enough to dismiss him as "washed up" already. He JUST turned 33.

They're buying him out because of his contract, not because of his attitude or lack of ability

For the right price, Gomez would be a great addition to a team in need of C depth, I think. Canucks should be one of them.

On either player but especially Gomez, I would have said no way a week ago. However things have changed. We don't want to risk Kesler too early, Schroeder could bomb, and Booth is a bust (for now)

So unless we have other more likely irons in the fire and if these two are not looking for too much then I would say go for it. As for those who say we have enough defenders, the playoffs have taught us you can never have enough D if you want to go to the end of the line in the SC.

Who knows, Tanev may have been set back in Chicago, groin strains etc. Better being safe than sorry. Having said that, it's all about the money.

"Rather take a gamble with Brule than Gomez at this point."

Of course you're right, CDC is a great place to take gambles. Unfortunately MG has to perform and make decisions in the REAL WORLD.

Why would anyone in his right mind take a gamble on a low scoring, lightweight with little experience, when they could have a SC winning guy like Gomez who has proved he can cut it and can handle himself?

By the way "at this point"..............are you serious? A 48 game dash to the line with a team of notoriously slow starters, crippled with injuries and with an influx of "dodgy" prospects and you think this is the time to bring in a guy like Brule?

Archived