The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You Roberto Luongo

Avicii

I was a huge Luongo fan, and then it felt he was on this decline after his son was born and the signing of the ridiculously long contract. His stats don't lie, he's an excellent goalie! However when I count on him most it seems he just can't do it. Of course he himself is not to blame, defence plays a big role in stopping goals too, but after the one shootout when ALL of Columbus' shooters scored, I just shook my head. It could have been a bad night, who knows. Now before everyone attacks me for voicing my opinion, remember I don't HATE him, I just don't favor him as our starter. My opinion would change if we could make it deeper into the playoff rounds with him starting, but again we need a defence with presence as well. I haven't forgotten 2011! That was a stellar run we had!

He did save us and help big time for Canada to win the gold medal in 2010, I can't leave that out. He's an excellent goaltender, I don't buy into all the hate Vancouver seems to be dishing out though. We are extremely mean to our goalies and it doesn't help to see this when the rest of the NHL sees us like sore losers (94, 11 riots).

Going to tonight's scrimmage, and i feel like tonight may very well be the last time i will ever see Roberto Luongo dawn a Vancouver Canucks jersey on-ice in person. As much as i believe it is the wrong choice to trade him, it's inevitable and i've came to the conclusion that he will be with another team sooner rather than later.

Ever since he's came into the organization, he's been nothing but class, class and more class. Even in this whole debacle, he's remains loyal to the organization and to the fans. Us, as fans, seem to take most of our players for granted. He's been great in the community, leader on and off the ice, and most importantly served as our number 1 goaltender for 6 years.

Watching him play was an absolute privilege. My first Roberto Luongo memory was probably when he robbed Stu Barns in Game 7 vs Dallas, which was my first ever playoff game. What a game that was, Luongo absolutely stole the show. He carried our team on his back throughout the entire season, and without him we would've been in contest for a lottery pick. I found that on most nights, i wasn't excited to watch a Canucks game, i was excited to see Roberto Luongo play. The flashy gloves saves, diving stick saves.. It's been a fantastic 6 years.

People seem to forget what he truly brought to our organization. Before Luongo, we were this mediocre team after the WCE days that simply couldn't find success. We were pretty much like the Flames are today, a team with talent but nothing to show for it. With Luongo, he truly put his mark on the team. The moment we traded for him, Luongo was the team. This was before the Sedins emerged and all that. Luongo was the superstar of the team, and rightfully so.

He brought us to the Cup finals in 2011, and was there when we needed him most. That save on Sharp in Game 7 probably saved half our rosters careers in Vancouver.. 2 SO in the SCF, what more could you ask of from a goaltender? That 2011 run was one of the greatest couple of weeks of my life in recent memory, and it wouldn't have been the same with Luongo between the pipes. (Although Schneider was decent in his 1 game, i was laughing my ass off when he got completely destroyed in the shootout and ended up cramping up)

From all the fans who will always be fans of you Roberto, I'd like to thank you for everything you've done for our organization. You will always be my favorite goaltender, even if Schneider brings us to 50 cups. The screams and roars you could bring into the garage with one single save can never be matched by any goaltender.

Yes Roberto Luongo did represent the team with class and pulled the team out of the basement but he didn't do it alone. There were a number of aquisitions that also contributed in a big way (eg Malhotra, Higgins, Lapierre, Salo etc).

Vancouver still does not have a Stanley Cup so MG is doing what he has to do to make changes that will move the club closer to winning the Cup. It is a fact that Schneider had better stats than Lou last year and proved that he is a viable starter who has a smaller cap hit. He has represented the team with class and performed better than many gave him credit for. I find it hard to consider you a loyal fan when you state that you laughed when Schneider had a bad game. He is the #1 Canuck goalie now so move on with the tired 'you can't wait for Cory to fail' line.

In this cap era, management has to make changes wherever they can to ice a solid contender. If that means playing a goalie with a lower cap hit that you feel can do the job just as well or better, you would be delinquent if you didn't do that. Luongo will bring us another part of a Cup winning team and MG is rightfully holding out for fair value. If you say that the best players play, then Schneider has to be in because he was the superior goalie last season. I like both goalies and wish we could keep both (like Edmonton did with Moog and Fuhr) but in the new NHL that is not plausible. This team has to find players that will upgrade the team because what we had before didn't get the job done.

I have a big problem with everything bolded in your above statement.

1. Luongo has no choice but remain loyal to the organization, he is under contract. He remains loyal to the fans? I'm sure he couldn't give a sh!t about the fans. He said in an interview once that he plays for his family, friends, and teammates, no mention of the fans, end of story.

2. We were a mediocre team for 1 year before Luongo came on board. Before that there was a lockout and before that we were division winners and a high scoring, exciting team to watch. The team simply couldn't find success? Aside from a couple PTs, what great success has the team had in the Luongo era?

3. Luongo didn't "bring" the team to the Final in 2011. If you'll remember, he melted down halfway through round 1 and we were almost knocked out by a Chicago team who were only a shell of their championship team from the year before. He was there when we needed him most? Frankly I think this is part of the reason we didn't win. If he wasn't there when we needed him most, maybe we wouldn't have gotten blown out so many times.

4. 2 Shutouts in the Final, what more could you ask from your goaltender? Well, how about not giving up 20 goals in the other 5 games. How about not letting the most important games of your life get so far out of reach. Losing is one thing, that is acceptable, getting humiliated and losing all momentum is another. GAAs of 4+ dont win many cups.

5. You were laughing your ass off when Schneider cramped up in his first playoff start? Do you remember why Schneider was playing that game? It's because your hero had his annual meltdown the previous 2 games and all of our momentum was gone. Who ended up losing that game by the way? Oh right, it was Luongo!

Schneider's the man in Vancouver now so you should probably learn to deal with it. Unless of course you are going to jump ship and cheer for whatever team Luongo is on. That's probably for the best if your'e just going to go into hysterics whenever Schneider doesn't have a good game.

6. If Schneider brings us even 1 cup, nevermind "50", he will be above and beyond more successful than Luongo ever was. Go follow the MapleLeafs.

Sarcasm is "a sharp, bitter, or cutting expression or remark; a bitter gibe or taunt",[1] usually conveyed through irony or understatement.[2] Most authorities distinguish sarcasm from irony;[3] however, others argue that sarcasm may or often does involve irony[4] or employs ambivalence.[5] Many authorities have argued that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Watching him play was an absolute privilege. My first Roberto Luongo memory was probably when he robbed Stu Barns in Game 7 vs Dallas, which was my first ever playoff game. What a game that was, Luongo absolutely stole the show. He carried our team on his back throughout the entire season, and without him we would've been in contest for a lottery pick.

I have a feeling he won't get traded until the offseason. The team might even decide to run with two goalies and if Luongo has an issue he will open up the options for teams he will play for.

Unless we get a top player we are better off keeping him. I'd rather have Luongo and Schneider both manning the nets in a "play the hot goalie" scenario than have say the difference in talent level between Bozak and Schroeder (if there is any). Also when healthy this team can compete with either goaltender. If we had say Brian Boucher as a backup we would be screwed if Schneider got injured.

So either an impact player, a young player who will can jump in a top 6 role (40-60 points), or a second line player and solid goalie. In some trades we might have to add some small pieces.

Here are some potential combos:

Chicago: Hossa, Leddy, Bolland & Crawford

Colorado: Duchene, O'Reilly, Varlamov & Downie, Varlamov & Jones, Varlamov & McGinn

Edmonton: Dubnyk & Hemsky, Dubnyk & Gagner

Florida: Weiss & Clemmensen, Versteeg & Clemmensen, Bjudstad & Clemmensen, Gundbranson & Clemmensen

New Jersey: Hedberg & Henrique

Philly: Hartnell, Voracek, Couterier, Simmonds, Schenn

San Jose: Niemi & Clowe

In all of those trades we either get a top line player, a young top 6 ready player (with or without backup goalie) or a second line player with a solid goalie.

Toronto isn't the best trading partner. Bozak is a low end second line player heading for free agency. His value is a bit higher than Raymond. Reimer is a bit of a toss-up and we don't need youth between the pipes. Lupul would be a great fit but he is a UFA.

In the summer I can see Luongo get traded for picks and prospects.

luongo the greatest canucks goalie ever , ummm try kirk mclean , he was the prime time goalie he carried that 94 team on his back , got a standing ovation in montreal from the montreal fans , and hey i dont even hate on luongo

Growing up i always remember having a Luongo poster when was still on the panthers. I always loved him, one of my most memorable days was when the Canucks management robbed Keenan of Luongo, the day he signed a life long contract was one of happiest as well. Since i am Realistic i see it coming to an end, i cant agree more with the OP.

Thanks for the good times, LUUUUU

Yes I am. As far as true canucks fans are concerned, Luongo has only caused pain and agmony to our city. He constantly has teased us and made us believe he is the greatest until it actually matters, when he fails miserably. He has crushed so many others who actually believed in him and then failed us all, making us all look stupid.

Archived