Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Thank You Roberto Luongo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Wasn't there a Luongo appreciation thread just the other day?

#32 Brendan Gaunce

Brendan Gaunce

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

You made me so much sadder now that he will most likely leave. :-(

Posted Image

#33 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Watching him play was an absolute privilege. My first Roberto Luongo memory was probably when he robbed Stu Barns in Game 7 vs Dallas, which was my first ever playoff game. What a game that was, Luongo absolutely stole the show. He carried our team on his back throughout the entire season, and without him we would've been in contest for a lottery pick.

2007 NHL Entry Draft

#1 - Patrick Kane
#2 - James Van Reimsdyk
#3 - Kyle Turris

DAMN YOU ROBERTOOOOOO!!!!
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#34 canucksrulee

canucksrulee

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I agree. Lu is a great goalie and has made an outstanding impact on this team

#35 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I have a feeling he won't get traded until the offseason. The team might even decide to run with two goalies and if Luongo has an issue he will open up the options for teams he will play for.

Unless we get a top player we are better off keeping him. I'd rather have Luongo and Schneider both manning the nets in a "play the hot goalie" scenario than have say the difference in talent level between Bozak and Schroeder (if there is any). Also when healthy this team can compete with either goaltender. If we had say Brian Boucher as a backup we would be screwed if Schneider got injured.

So either an impact player, a young player who will can jump in a top 6 role (40-60 points), or a second line player and solid goalie. In some trades we might have to add some small pieces.

Here are some potential combos:
Chicago: Hossa, Leddy, Bolland & Crawford
Colorado: Duchene, O'Reilly, Varlamov & Downie, Varlamov & Jones, Varlamov & McGinn
Edmonton: Dubnyk & Hemsky, Dubnyk & Gagner
Florida: Weiss & Clemmensen, Versteeg & Clemmensen, Bjudstad & Clemmensen, Gundbranson & Clemmensen
New Jersey: Hedberg & Henrique
Philly: Hartnell, Voracek, Couterier, Simmonds, Schenn
San Jose: Niemi & Clowe

In all of those trades we either get a top line player, a young top 6 ready player (with or without backup goalie) or a second line player with a solid goalie.

Toronto isn't the best trading partner. Bozak is a low end second line player heading for free agency. His value is a bit higher than Raymond. Reimer is a bit of a toss-up and we don't need youth between the pipes. Lupul would be a great fit but he is a UFA.

In the summer I can see Luongo get traded for picks and prospects.

Edited by canucklehead44, 16 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

Sig too big.

#36 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Totally agree. Can't wait til he's gone. A Cancer to our great city

Kids look up to Luongo, he is a hero to some kids suffering through life threatening illnesses and they get a smile when they see him. He has done so much for our city and charity work and your calling him a cancer?

Edited by hockeyville88, 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#37 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

luongo the greatest canucks goalie ever , ummm try kirk mclean , he was the prime time goalie he carried that 94 team on his back , got a standing ovation in montreal from the montreal fans , and hey i dont even hate on luongo

Stats don't lie, Luongo is. But if all you people say Luongo has done nothing for this team or city, what more has Linden and Mclean done?

I am not saying those guys are nothing they are legendary Canucks, but the perception of Luongo has done nothing but Linden and Mclean have done so much makes no sense. If you want to compare. They have all done a lot for this team and city, cannot argue this at all.

Edited by cmpunk, 16 January 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#38 nucks_rule1

nucks_rule1

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Growing up i always remember having a Luongo poster when was still on the panthers. I always loved him, one of my most memorable days was when the Canucks management robbed Keenan of Luongo, the day he signed a life long contract was one of happiest as well. Since i am Realistic i see it coming to an end, i cant agree more with the OP.
Thanks for the good times, LUUUUU
Posted Image
my thread!

100th post on September 9th 2008
1000th post on june 24th 2010

THANK YOU MIKE GILLIS FOR GREATEST OFF SEASON EVER!

HANK= H(ART ROSS)

#39 dangler696969

dangler696969

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

Kids look up to Luongo, he is a hero to some kids suffering through life threatening illnesses and they get a smile when they see him. He has done so much for our city and charity work and your calling him a cancer?

Yes I am. As far as true canucks fans are concerned, Luongo has only caused pain and agmony to our city. He constantly has teased us and made us believe he is the greatest until it actually matters, when he fails miserably. He has crushed so many others who actually believed in him and then failed us all, making us all look stupid.

#40 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Yes I am. As far as true canucks fans are concerned, Luongo has only caused pain and agmony to our city. He constantly has teased us and made us believe he is the greatest until it actually matters, when he fails miserably. He has crushed so many others who actually believed in him and then failed us all, making us all look stupid.

See your so stupid and immature your missing the clear point. All you care about is Luongo the hockey player and the game. Like I said you wouldn't know anything about doing something for someone else or doing any charity work for this city. For some of kids, Luongo is their hero and they smile when they see him and nobody can take that away from him no matter how good or poorly he plays.

I actually take serious offense you saying he is a cancer in this city, when kids having to deal with cancer can get a smile on their faces going through what they do when they see Luongo and other players, they look up to.

Your honestly trying to say Luongo and the Canucks not winning is such a suffer and pain for you, more than kids going through a rough time, that are just happy to see their hero's. Don't know how old you are, but you got some serious growing up to do.

Edited by cmpunk, 16 January 2013 - 10:58 PM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#41 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Without Luongo, we would've lost Game 7 vs the Hawks, hands down.

Schneider would've just been deeked out of his jockstrap again and cramped himself.

Edited by Django, 16 January 2013 - 11:28 PM.

Posted Image

#42 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

best of luck to LU if he goes...

#43 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

I couldn't have said it any better than you have.

It's weird knowing that the one player that got me into watching Canucks hockey is on his way out. He really inspired me and gave me belief that this team would reach a Cup with him being in net. I still cringe at the thought of him not being in the net, if/when we win a Cup one day.

While not everyone sees it, he's actually a really warm-hearted guy, and a great goal-tender. Once his @strombone1 came out, everyone seemed to get Luo on their good side as he was suddenly this really funny and entertaining guy. He was always like that, his words have always been twisted to portray him as this player that throws people under the bus. I've been a Luo supporter since Day 1 and whatever team he gets traded to I will wish him the best and cheer for him.

Even watching him today at the scrimmage makes me wish that he could end his career here as I always thought it would end up like that. All the memories we've made with him: winning Gold in Vancouver, that save on Sharp in Game 7, that game against Dallas, the 3-0 S/O against the Blackhawks (yeah it was a regular season game...but still) and I'll even miss the relentless chirping against Lu and trying to ward off the haters.. I guess all of that is passed onto Schneider now.

Schneider is a very talented goalie and we will see what he brings for us as I am confident he will be stellar. But I guess the tandem Lu and Schneids had going for a little while was too good to last.

Thanks for the memories, Lu.

#44 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

luu :wub:
Posted Image

#45 the grinder

the grinder

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Stats don't lie, Luongo is. But if all you people say Luongo has done nothing for this team or city, what more has Linden and Mclean done?

I am not saying those guys are nothing they are legendary Canucks, but the perception of Luongo has done nothing but Linden and Mclean have done so much makes no sense. If you want to compare. They have all done a lot for this team and city, cannot argue this at all.

#46 Spodermen

Spodermen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

k

#47 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

The malice some "fans" have towards Luongo is disheartening and disgusting. I've been a fan and a fair critic since he's been here, and it's ridiculous how many "fans" selectively pay attention to all of the bad things he's done and brush off his accomplishments as if they're nothing.

Stahp.

#48 VanNuck

VanNuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Luongo not only established his place in Vancouver by elevating it to this level - he's gone and immortalized it when he helped lead Canada to gold as the one Vancouver Canuck on that team. I was all in favour to keep him at all costs, but he wants out, doesn't feel welcome here anymore.

If he gets traded - I would expect nothing less than his full value. That's why I suggested dealing him for someone like Zetterberg - see "Luongo Random/Merged thoughts" thread.

Another idea I had was to make a whole series of trades that would eventually see Carey Price, Shea Weber, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins in Vancouver. Won't enter all the details, but I can tell you, it'll involve giving up not only Luongo, but Schneider, the Sedin twins, Bieksa, Kesler - almost the entire roster. Hamhuis, Edler, Lapierre, and Malhotra would be just about the only cornerstone players left. It's tough to get rid of all those guys who made their home here, but the incoming players will be largely BC-born who will be at home back in Vancouver.

#49 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,485 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

If thats his last game as a Canuck...

Posted Image

#50 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

See your so stupid and immature your missing the clear point. All you care about is Luongo the hockey player and the game. Like I said you wouldn't know anything about doing something for someone else or doing any charity work for this city. For some of kids, Luongo is their hero and they smile when they see him and nobody can take that away from him no matter how good or poorly he plays.

I actually take serious offense you saying he is a cancer in this city, when kids having to deal with cancer can get a smile on their faces going through what they do when they see Luongo and other players, they look up to.

Your honestly trying to say Luongo and the Canucks not winning is such a suffer and pain for you, more than kids going through a rough time, that are just happy to see their hero's. Don't know how old you are, but you got some serious growing up to do.

I dont deny that Luongo has done great charity work, and if the kids love him that's terrific. I'm not a fan of Luongo but a cancer to this city, I think he is not. My opinion is that he simply has no place on this team anymore. If Luongo still wants to swing by after he's traded and visit children's hospital or whatever, that would be awesome, if not, that would be understandable. For most of us though, I believe what Luongo does on the ice is our primary concern.

#51 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,772 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Without Luongo, we would've lost Game 7 vs the Hawks, hands down.

Schneider would've just been deeked out of his jockstrap again and cramped himself.

You know that for sure eh? And let me guess, if we did lose game 7 with Schneider in net you would've laughed your ass off, right? Seriously, based on your OP, I think your'e a die-hard Luongo fan and not a fan of the Canucks. Where ever Luongo goes in a trade, dont let the door hit you as you follow him out.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.