The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Scrimmage tonight

yogolol

Raymond Schroeder Kassian was the most noticable line. I'm thinking that's the line they wanna go with as the third line. With the Higgins Lapierre Hansen line being the 2nd.

Raymond looked pretty good out there. Only a limited amount of falling.

You could tell the Sedins were just toying with the other side though. They could have scored alot more if they really wanted to turn it up.

Some things I noticed:

1. Raymond looks good. He seems much more determined and...strong on the puck. He is making Zack Kassian look good as well. But we need Kesler back. Raymond is a smart player who can make others better, but I don't think he's the guy to "lead" a line.

2. Zack Kassian needs to be more patient with the puck and needs to use his size better but he seems like a really smart hockey player with good vision. Looked good (enough) out there with Raymond considering they are just starting to build chemistry.

3. Edler is a stud. Consistency (at both ends of the ice) has been an issue before, but at times he just seems a class above other players. He needs to take on more ownership of the game and play his smart physical two-way game consistently. Would have preferred Edler playing the left side, but Edler knows it's his contract year - I expect big things this season from Eddie.

4. Garrison looks steady. Needs to use his bomb a bit more when they set him up on the pp, but with Garrison demanding attention on the pp, it really opens things up even more. I guess it's debatable who between Salo and Garrison garnered more respect from the penalty killers, but I like Garrison's play. I think his biggest help to this team will be making Edler a much better player and adding that grit, which Salo admittedly did not have, to this pair. He looked okay today.

5. Burrows - talk about a smart player, a smart pesky player who can be very effective down low. I say that because with more space the Sedins and Burrows got (today being a scrimmage), they seemed particularly efficient with the puck and was a step ahead of others. Unlike the Sedins who put on a show today, Burrows I don't think has found his form yet though.

6. Ballard....needs to remember that he is a good skating puck moving defenseman. He's holding on to the puck way too long and is trying to do something with the puck. I'm sure if this wasn't a scrimmage, some of his poor decisions would have cost a turnover and/or scoring chance. Lucky Tanev is a very smart player who actually will move the puck. And Lucky that...

7. Canucks' defensive depth after the starting 6 drops significantly. Oh god I hope it never comes down to playing Barker. He looks a step behind everyone. in a scrimmage.

8. Schneider is a really good goalie.

9. You know who's also a really good goalie? Luongo. In this 48-game season, I would not mind having Luongo as our "back-up" at all. You never know what might happen. God forbid if Schneider gets injured, who do we play? Importance of goalies are bigger than ever in a shortened season. (And why are the Leafs going with Reimer and Scrivens again?)

10. Ebbett or Schroeder? Ebbett played better today. I've always liked Ebbett and I was very happy when we re-signed him. But I am also sympathetic to Schroeder. Or maybe I just don't want our first round selection to be a disappointment. Either way, I think Schroeder should also get some time with Raymond and Kassian tomorrow. One thing Schroeder needs to do to get on AV's good side is: face-offs. Every time Schroeder lost a defensive draw, I could sense AV's death stare.

11. Higgins-Lappy-Hansen line = AV's third line with "second line minutes" this season. Or at least until Kesler comes back. What does this mean? Won't be surprised if we become a defensive club again, especially in a shortened season and with so many injuries. We have Schneider and Luongo. Great defense group. Why not.

12. You know what Malhotra line needed tonight? Pinizzotto. Can't catch a break this guy.

13. Honestly, I can't believe we are going to start a season this Saturday. Most of these guys are clearly in pre-season form. Advantage goes to guys who have been playing overseas or in the AHL (i.e. the entire Oilers team).

Frankie Corrado is a beast.

Yelled out he's the next Weber like 50 times lol

Nah just kidding, kid needs to develop some more. Finish his year in the OHL, 1/2 years in the AHL before he becomes a full timer. Why rush him into the NHL just so he can play on the bottom pairing?

Frankie Corrado is a beast.

Yelled out he's the next Weber like 50 times lol

Nah just kidding, kid needs to develop some more. Finish his year in the OHL, 1/2 years in the AHL before he becomes a full timer. Why rush him into the NHL just so he can play on the bottom pairing?

I thought..

- Weise looked good

- Garrison looks like Johnny Canuck

- Raymond looks like he's doing a bit better

- Schroeder should get a shot on the 2nd line before Ebbett

- Schneider/Luongo look great

- Kassian's shootout move was awesome.. hoping to see more things from him

- Chris Tanev actually had multiple shots in the game, matching his total shots in the NHL overall (probably)

- Barker and Alberts tandem is the kryptonite to this team's Superman

Archived