256 replies to this topic

#211 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Thought Schroeder has a stronger game than Ebett overall. Even while playing with inferior linemates.

Kassian was very underwhelming besides the shootout goal.

Hard to really grasp much from the scrimmage though, it was sloppy

Posted Image

#212 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,531 posts

If one listened closely to the coach and GM the decision was made before the mini camp began.
Would have to be paying attention,though,so that is where the confusion comes in with some.

#213 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,917 posts

Ebbett's goal was only because Kass was plunked in the crease, doing his thing, causing a mess. Kassian was the one who generated that chance, not Ebbett. And yeah, Schroeder looked surprisingly good. Even K-Conn did. Arniel showing once again what a failure he is.

LOL Kassian tripped and fell. Hardly created anything except a subtle interference on Alberts which prevented him from defending Raymond who saw the opportunity and drove to the net to create 2nd chances.

I'd say Raymond made that happen.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#214 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,106 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Where is it, or did I just miss it?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#215 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ebbett's goal was only because Kass was plunked in the crease, doing his thing, causing a mess. Kassian was the one who generated that chance, not Ebbett. And yeah, Schroeder looked surprisingly good. Even K-Conn did. Arniel showing once again what a failure he is.

hey give MayRay some creds there too, he drove the net and caused the havok, something the coaches and fans have been begging him to do, everyone did what the were supposed to do. MayRay took it hard to the net, Kassian crashed caused problems and Ebbett was in the right spot to bang home the garbage.

#216 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thought Schroeder has a stronger game than Ebett overall. Even while playing with inferior linemates.

I don't see how you can say that. I thought he played really well. He dumped the puck in, got in on the fore check, made a couple nice back-checks, a few nice set-ups, drove to the net, and to top if off he scored one heck of a shoot-out goal. IMO Kassian played really good.

#217 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,350 posts

Raymond Schroeder Kassian was the most noticable line. I'm thinking that's the line they wanna go with as the third line. With the Higgins Lapierre Hansen line being the 2nd.

Raymond looked pretty good out there. Only a limited amount of falling.

You could tell the Sedins were just toying with the other side though. They could have scored alot more if they really wanted to turn it up.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#218 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Why is Yann Sauve not invited to this?
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#219 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

U guys have to understand that this scrimmage means nothing, its just so they get the feel for the game a little, players played at 50% today they did not try that hard. nothing will be based out of the scrimmages, everything is based on practice, but personally i hope schroeder gets placed on the 2nd line during keslers absence over ebbett because ebbett is passed his time, when schroeder is only emerging. Schroeder is the type of player who will only succeed in a top position meaning u do not play him on the bottom 6 like Hodgson, he only deserves to play on the first or second line. Basically if u see schroeder on the third or fourth line ever it means hes getting traded. My lines this season are.
Sedins- Burrows
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen
Weise-manny-Volpatti.

#220 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Are we really this hockey starved?!

Yes.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#221 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

I thought the best player tonight was Alex Edler. Not just because he had a goal, assist, and SO goal... But he was skating very well,and looked so calm and collected. This may be his year, if he stays healthy.

The play started to pick up nicley through the 2nd half. Higgins and Hansen were standouts up front for me, and even Malhotra and Weise looked alright.

I see a few posts about Schroeders play, however I really didnt notice him all that much.

Raymond looks... kind of the same. If I haddnt seen this before, Id probably be excited about him... but we all know that this amounts to nothing...lol. Honestly though, IM really hoping for him to have a bounce back year, not just for the team, but for him to utilize the talent he owns to the fullest potential.

#222 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,630 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Why would DJ Dave play zombienation when Lu was scored on

Should have played Chelsea's Dagger instead.

:bigblush:

#223 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yes, first game in how long as a group, missing kessler and booth and playing with a mix of guys, expect it to be a bit sloppy.
Signs I did like:

1. Sedins just don't seem to ever be off. They looked great (granted you give them room like they have in a scrimmage and its like playing vs boys for them, nonetheless happy to see they were playing well this early.

2. Burrows still right spots - never a concern

3. Kassian, liked his wheels and definitely the hands he showed on the shootout, and he did make a couple of nice passes. He also seemed to have some chemistry with MayRay, a good sign.

4. Schroeder - didn't see much of him/notice online but thats a positive, means he wasn't messing up and did see him win a few battles down in our defensive end for the puck, so AV will like that. Made some nice passes on the PP. Definitely seemed to have more of an impact than Ebbett, even though Ebbett scored.

5. Schnieder, was facing the tougher team but I was a bit surprised he didn't look like a guy who's been playing for a few weeks already. He'll come around but still the Edler goal was a bit weak, could see it and was clean.

#224 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Where is it, or did I just miss it?

You just missed it, but fear not, there's another one tomorrow.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#225 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Raymond Schroeder Kassian was the most noticable line. I'm thinking that's the line they wanna go with as the third line. With the Higgins Lapierre Hansen line being the 2nd.

Raymond looked pretty good out there. Only a limited amount of falling.

You could tell the Sedins were just toying with the other side though. They could have scored alot more if they really wanted to turn it up.

I dont think a 2nd line really exists with kesler and Booth out, I agree with u, i thought schroeders line and lapierres line had a pretty dominant performance overall considering the fact that there was no checking involved. Those will probably be the lines starting the season however i see them both getting similar play time.

#226 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,350 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

Why is Yann Sauve not invited to this?

He's injured. Has been for a few weeks.

Not exactly sure what it is though.

Posted Image

#227 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,581 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

The thought of having Schroeder and Kassian on line line scares the living crap outta me. I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but honestly. 2 rookies on one line, oh dang, a long side Mason Raymond? OH gosh, help us all.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#228 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Kassian silky smooth shootout moves .
Mayray.. Looking ok.
Lappy and higgy look good.
Lu looks good.
Twins and burr look like they could have had a few more..
Fun game wanted to see more in the shootour

Edited by surtur, 16 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#229 Drop Em

Drop Em

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Hansen looks like he is so close he can taste it. The Dutch Oven wants to heat it up! Go Jannik GO!

Except that he's not Dutch, he's a Dane.

#230 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,350 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Except that he's not Dutch, he's a Dane.

Not to mention he has already officially been dubbed the Honey Badger.

Posted Image

#231 Banksy91

Banksy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Anybody hear AVs post game comments on 1040?

#232 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Some things I noticed:

1. Raymond looks good. He seems much more determined and...strong on the puck. He is making Zack Kassian look good as well. But we need Kesler back. Raymond is a smart player who can make others better, but I don't think he's the guy to "lead" a line.

2. Zack Kassian needs to be more patient with the puck and needs to use his size better but he seems like a really smart hockey player with good vision. Looked good (enough) out there with Raymond considering they are just starting to build chemistry.

3. Edler is a stud. Consistency (at both ends of the ice) has been an issue before, but at times he just seems a class above other players. He needs to take on more ownership of the game and play his smart physical two-way game consistently. Would have preferred Edler playing the left side, but Edler knows it's his contract year - I expect big things this season from Eddie.

4. Garrison looks steady. Needs to use his bomb a bit more when they set him up on the pp, but with Garrison demanding attention on the pp, it really opens things up even more. I guess it's debatable who between Salo and Garrison garnered more respect from the penalty killers, but I like Garrison's play. I think his biggest help to this team will be making Edler a much better player and adding that grit, which Salo admittedly did not have, to this pair. He looked okay today.

5. Burrows - talk about a smart player, a smart pesky player who can be very effective down low. I say that because with more space the Sedins and Burrows got (today being a scrimmage), they seemed particularly efficient with the puck and was a step ahead of others. Unlike the Sedins who put on a show today, Burrows I don't think has found his form yet though.

6. Ballard....needs to remember that he is a good skating puck moving defenseman. He's holding on to the puck way too long and is trying to do something with the puck. I'm sure if this wasn't a scrimmage, some of his poor decisions would have cost a turnover and/or scoring chance. Lucky Tanev is a very smart player who actually will move the puck. And Lucky that...

7. Canucks' defensive depth after the starting 6 drops significantly. Oh god I hope it never comes down to playing Barker. He looks a step behind everyone. in a scrimmage.

8. Schneider is a really good goalie.

9. You know who's also a really good goalie? Luongo. In this 48-game season, I would not mind having Luongo as our "back-up" at all. You never know what might happen. God forbid if Schneider gets injured, who do we play? Importance of goalies are bigger than ever in a shortened season. (And why are the Leafs going with Reimer and Scrivens again?)

10. Ebbett or Schroeder? Ebbett played better today. I've always liked Ebbett and I was very happy when we re-signed him. But I am also sympathetic to Schroeder. Or maybe I just don't want our first round selection to be a disappointment. Either way, I think Schroeder should also get some time with Raymond and Kassian tomorrow. One thing Schroeder needs to do to get on AV's good side is: face-offs. Every time Schroeder lost a defensive draw, I could sense AV's death stare.

11. Higgins-Lappy-Hansen line = AV's third line with "second line minutes" this season. Or at least until Kesler comes back. What does this mean? Won't be surprised if we become a defensive club again, especially in a shortened season and with so many injuries. We have Schneider and Luongo. Great defense group. Why not.

12. You know what Malhotra line needed tonight? Pinizzotto. Can't catch a break this guy.

13. Honestly, I can't believe we are going to start a season this Saturday. Most of these guys are clearly in pre-season form. Advantage goes to guys who have been playing overseas or in the AHL (i.e. the entire Oilers team).

#233 gre10

gre10

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Can someone link me to some highlights please.

#234 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Frankie Corrado is a beast.

Yelled out he's the next Weber like 50 times lol

Nah just kidding, kid needs to develop some more. Finish his year in the OHL, 1/2 years in the AHL before he becomes a full timer. Why rush him into the NHL just so he can play on the bottom pairing?

Posted Image

#235 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,350 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

13. Honestly, I can't believe we are going to start a season this Saturday. Most of these guys are clearly in pre-season form. Advantage goes to guys who have been playing overseas or in the AHL (i.e. the entire Oilers team).

As are 90% of the players in the NHL.

Posted Image

#236 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Frankie Corrado is a beast.

Yelled out he's the next Weber like 50 times lol

Nah just kidding, kid needs to develop some more. Finish his year in the OHL, 1/2 years in the AHL before he becomes a full timer. Why rush him into the NHL just so he can play on the bottom pairing?

pretty sure he's only there for the experience, we have enough d depth. he was named at the beginning of the season by management as the player they would pull up from junior whenever trainnig camp were to start.

#237 JoshuaGuy

JoshuaGuy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

So damn sick of hearing that.. If they're in such great shape, why aren't they even in a playoff spot in the AHL? They still lack defense entirely.

Edited by JoshuaGuy, 16 January 2013 - 10:39 PM.

Posted Image

#238 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

How did Dutch Gretzky look?

Vandy or Barker?
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#239 Banksy91

Banksy91

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

12. You know what Malhotra line needed tonight? Pinizzotto. Can't catch a break this guy.

Actually I think the problem is that he catches too many breaks....ha ha

#240 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,219 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

So damn sick of hearing that.. If they're in such great shape, why aren't they even in a playoff spot in the AHL? They still lack defense entirely.

This. Nuge didn't get very far trying for gold, and Yakopov hardly did better. Meanwhile Schultz and Eberle put up huge points totals which had zero effect on OKC's standings. Oh and Hall was there too.

As for our guys, Mayray did look like he really has put last year and his injury behind him. He's always got a good battle level but seemed to be more planted on his skates, harder to knock off the puck and clearly has been working on his shot. Hansen and Higgins and Lappy look ready to bring it. Garrison looked rock solid. Never an inch out of position. Sadly didn't get to see the bomb but he'd never pull that out in a scrimmage. Edler looked amazing. All the confident puck moving and physical play he's known for without the flubs. Hope that consistency is really there in the season.

Honestly, with Kes and Booth out, this is our 3rd and 4th liners' times to shine. I'm pretty excited to see it. If they come back in good form to a team that's stepped it up a notch in their absence, I like our cup chances.

Keswho.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.