Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Schroeder or Ebbett?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would you choose to replace Kesler? (126 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would you choose to replace Kesler?

1. Jordan Schroeder (98 votes [78.40%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 78.40%

2. Andrew Ebbett (27 votes [21.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,568 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

So after watching some Wolves games this year and tonight's scrimmage, if you were the coach, who would you choose to replace Kesler?

Schroeder or Ebbett?

307mg00.jpg

#2 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Can someone else be an option?
If so, I choose someone else.

Neither Ebbett nor Schroeder are 2nd line calibre players.

Edited by Jägermeister, 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image

#3 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

If it's between only the two of them I'd have to say Schroeder. We need to get younger and we need to give our draft picks a chance to prove themselves. Otherwise, why are we drafting anyone? We should just trade our picks for players and not even show up on the draft floor lol
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#4 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

i voted schroeder though i've been saying ebbett up until today. start with schroeder, keep ebbett around for his versatility. he played well for us last year but i think this is schroeders time.

#5 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I dont like ebbett, I think arniel was stupid to say ebbet was the better forward.

Posted Image

#6 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I like Ebbett but I'm going with Schroeder.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#7 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

They both pretty much bring the same thing to the table at this point.

Ebbett has pretty much shown what his celiling is in the NHL, whereas Schroeder is just getting his chance.

I don't think either of them are second liners at this point, but I would go with Schroeder as a center on the 2a/2b line. Even if he's not part of this teams future, they've gotta start boosting his value. They're not doing that by keeping him from playing.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#8 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Ebbett isn't a NHL quality player, he should be playing in the AHL full time.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#9 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,843 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

This is the third line c position in a shortened season with the second line demolished,already.

One candidate has played 2c with Getzlaf and Perry and one has never played an NHL game.

I agree there is a necessity to slot Schroeder in for all the progressive reasons but with the lockout scenario and now both Booth and Kesler out the conclusion seems all but a foregone conclusion.

Schroeder will get fair time and probably see a few NHL games for the experience.

Ebbett is a veteran,can play/has played all three forward positions and has hundreds of games of professional experience under his belt,including second round playoff duties.

Edited by nuck nit, 16 January 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#10 mancaesar

mancaesar

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Shroebbett.

John Paul II made a saint. John Garrett next?

#11 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

We've seen what Ebbett brings to the team. He's good for depth, but not a 2C. Schroeder also doesn't look like 2C material, but at least he has a chance to be one.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#12 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,154 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

Higgins.

Shroebbett.

Schrobbett (sounds an awful lot like Hobbit doesn't it? :P)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#13 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

They're both kinda bad

Posted Image

#14 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

With the given roster I'd probably use Lapierre on the second myself. I'd put him between either Higgins and Hansen or Raymond and Burrows. I think he could handle the minutes if he's in such great shape. :bigblush:

To answer your question though, I'd give Schroeder the first shot at the third line spot with a couple good two way players on either side - either of the pairs above I think give him a good chance to be successful. However I haven't sat in AV's seat and watched the two this week, so my opinion is based upon the boost I think young players can bring to a lineup with their energy and enthusiasm. I can imagine Schroeder'd be dying for the opportunity.

I'd also start by giving Kassian time with the twins, which I think would be good for his confidence, development, and to have that pushback presence on the ice with them, particularly after Daniel's injury. He's also the only natural RW on the roster other than Hansen, with top 9/6/3 potential, so I say let it rip. If the Canucks really needed a goal they could always load back up with Burrows situationally. Again, deciding upon lines without knowing the opponent and matchups...

I think that could give the lineup as much balance as possible though with the absences of Kesler and Booth, and the two rookies would be matched up with solid veterans.
If they struggle, obviously we have other options, but I think they could both do well in those roles. Depending on the opponent, I might be tempted to use Ebbett in Lapierre's position as the 2nd C on the fourth line, particularly if the Canucks needed a bit more scoring from the bottom of the lineup as opposed to grit.

Schroeder centering the second - I don't know if I'd start him there - more pressure and tougher matchups - I'd reduce those by giving Lapierre the vote of confidence.

Edited by oldnews, 16 January 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#15 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

They both pretty much bring the same thing to the table at this point.

Ebbett has pretty much shown what his celiling is in the NHL, whereas Schroeder is just getting his chance.

I don't think either of them are second liners at this point, but I would go with Schroeder as a center on the 2a/2b line. Even if he's not part of this teams future, they've gotta start boosting his value. They're not doing that by keeping him from playing.

Why is he not part of this team's future? Because they took the time to develop him properly?

The kid has improved at every level/year, and is coming into his first REAL chance prepared physically, mentally, and able to play a two way game, sooo...why would you assume he's not in our plans?

Serious question. Alot of fans think just because a player isn't Tavares year 1 they can't develop. I beg to differ and so do Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Schnieder, Edler, Tanev, the Sedins, on and on...

Perhaps this is the year he shows he can sub in well for Kesler, then drops to the third to continue to hone his game when Kes is back (a la CoHo) and provides depth (maybe puts up 15 pts in a 45 game season - 30 pt pace) and is on his way?

He's a talented player, maybe he's in our plans and its time to give him a real shot.

#16 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

With the given roster I'd probably use Lapierre on the second myself. I'd put him between either Higgins and Hansen or Raymond and Burrows.

To answer your question though, I'd give Schroeder the first shot at the third line spot with a couple good two way players on either side, either of the pairs above I think give him a good chance to be successful.

I'd also start by giving Kassian time with the twins, which I think would be good for his confidence, development, and to have that pushback presence on the ice with them, particularly after Daniel's injury.

I think this would give the lineup as much balance as possible with the absences, and the two rookies would be matched up with solid veterans.
If they struggle, we have other options, but I think they'd both do well in those roles.

Schroeder centering the second - I don't know if I'd start him there - more pressure and tougher matchups - I'd reduce those by giving Lapierre the vote of confidence.

I love Lappiere but he hit the post on an empty net in a scrimmage, he is not the guy to be on the second line

#17 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I think everybody wants J-Schroed over Ebbett ...

Ebbett's an older journeyman, Schroeder's a young 1st round pick by the Canucks with potential.

Easy to see what the fans would want. Not so easy to see what the team wants right now.

I hope it's Schroeder because I'd love to see what he can do on the ice. But AV and the coaching staff doesn't make decisions based on "what they'd love to see what a player can do". They make decisions based on who can play better right now.

I hope their answer to the latter question is "Schroeder". But I really don't know. I just hope it is Schroeder.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#18 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Why is he not part of this team's future? Because they took the time to develop him properly?

He's a talented player, maybe he's in our plans and its time to give him a real shot.

I've defended him just as much as anybody on here. All I meant is that the team might want to go a different direction and add more size to this team. Nodbody really knows.

They've been reluctant to give him a shot till now. Hopefully this is it for him, we'll have to wait and see. But if he does become expendable next season, he'll have more value having played this season.

Posted Image

#19 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,275 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I love Lappiere but he hit the post on an empty net in a scrimmage, he is not the guy to be on the second line

I don't so much care about the convention of second line scoring and third line checking - my point is more about ice time, matchups and the pressure of putting a rookie in the second line center role, particularly when they haven't exceeded expectations to that point. For Schroeder, a role more like Hodgson's - on the third line centering two way veterans - I think is more appropriate.

Lapierre's first full season in the NHL was a 15 goal season btw.

And I've seen guys miss the net on breakaways - in NHL regular season games... Everyone has hit a post on an open net...

Edited by oldnews, 16 January 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#20 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

I've defended him just as much as anybody on here. All I meant is that the team might want to go a different direction and add more size to this team. Nodbody really knows.

They've been reluctant to give him a shot till now. Hopefully this is it for him, we'll have to wait and see. But if he does become expendable next season, he'll have more value having played this season.

ah fair point...thought you were suggesting they'd given up...but agree if there's any trade with lou where a center is coming back a la coutourier, may see him go the other way, which is fine, just dont want to see him in any bozak/kadri garbage

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,041 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

I don't so much care about the convention of second line scoring and third line checking - my point is more about ice time, matchups and the pressure of putting a rookie in the second line center role, particularly when they haven't exceeded expectations to that point. For Schroeder, a role more like Hodgson's - on the third line centering two way veterans - I think is more appropriate.

I agree.

Give him third line minutes with Higgins and Hansen, 2nd unit powerplay time, and offensive zone starts. He should be able to play well enough in that capacity to start.

But he's gotta work on his faceoffs. Can't be a centerman if you can't win faceoffs. Unless he gets Malhotra in there to win them for him.

Edited by DeNiro, 16 January 2013 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

#22 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Me.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#23 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Knowing AV he'll probably choose Ebbett. I want and hope that it is Schroeder though; he's been more consistent for the Wolves this season, and he plays all kinds of minutes on the PK/PP. Ebbett only started putting up points in December for the Wolves, he had all of 5 points in 16 games before that. Just because he's on a bit of a tear shouldn't negate the consistent effort of Schroeder all season.

The potential with Schroeder is there and it's visible, time to start tapping into it.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#24 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Schroeder.

Skillwise they all ready about the exact same IMO except Schroeder is faster and has better offensive skill, Schroeder is also younger and is still developing so if we give him the shot it should go a long way for his development and it isn't like Ebbett is a better option really, so their isn't any risk.

Hoping Schroeder gets that chance and I honestly think he will, I'm an AV hater but I am optimistic he will choose JS, unfortunately I missed the game though so I didn't get to see them both for myself.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 16 January 2013 - 11:17 PM.

zackass.png

#25 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,419 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

I would pick Schroeder only because it is a chance to see what he can do at the NHL level. He hasn't really dominated at the AHL level so it is a stretch to pencil him in on the 2nd line. If it was me, I would put him on the 3rd line and use Lapierre on the 2nd until either Kesler returns or an upgrade arrives via the Luongo pending trade.

#26 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

I think it's about time for Schroeder to get the chance, but it looks like it's going to be ebbet.

#27 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Knowing AV he'll probably choose Ebbett.

I agree, Given a close call between a young guy and a veteran, AV almost always goes with the vet.
Right now it is close. And the people saying neither one is a real 2C are right. Let's face it, the Canucks will have a first line, two thrd lines, and a 4th line. But, we should be okay with the best goal-tending combo in the NHL AND maybe the best defense AND the first line that has put up more points and a better +/- than any other line in the league over the last 3 year (and figures to be one of the best lines in the league again this year).

I would like to see Sterling get a shot. (I know he is small and I know he has Wolves contract and I know he is a winger, but none of those things should stop him from getting a shot.) He has been lighting things up all season -- while playing against a lot of NHL players during the lockout.

Edited by JamesB, 16 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#28 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I thought Ebbett should get the second line position just because you can't just slot someone on the second line on a cup contending team when they don't have NHL experience. Ebbett was also an offensive threat every time he was on the ice in the wolves games I watched, whereas Schroeder seemed to be struggling often. With that said, I wouldn't have a BIG problem with him being given a shot, but if it were me I'd go with experience (since it's a 48 game season).

However if I was the coach I wouldn't pick either of them to center the second line, here's what my lineup would look like:

Raymond-Henrik-Kassian
Daniel-Lapierre-Burrows
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen (Higgins and raymond could potentially switch spots)
Volpatti-Manny-Weise
Ebbet/Pinizzotto (Ebbett can slot in anywhere on the LW or C position, he's a pretty versatile player with a big heart)

I'd put Lapierre on the second line with Burrows because they have really good chemistry, and Lappy can create havoc in front of the net while Danny sets them up with his excellent passing. On paper they just seem to me like they'd mesh well together.

Charlotte-McKinney-21-155x160.jpg

#29 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I like Ebbett but I'm going with Schroeder.

Posted Image

#30 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

They're both similar players and are about the same size, so its a toss up lol.

But If i were to choose, id go with Schroeder first just to see what we have in him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.