The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder or Ebbett?

-Vintage Canuck-

Who would you choose to replace Kesler?  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well until the score actually matters I don't care who is in the 2nd line centre position..................but when the first real game comes around I would like to get off to a winning start so I would obviously go for Ebbett. The guy was a pocket beast until he was injured last season.

Ebbett for me is/was one of the few outsiders who when given a chance in the Canucks line up actually looked like he wanted and thought he should be there and grabbed it with both hands. He is fearless and plays "more than his size" He has swagger.

I don't see the same "drive" in Schroeder. However this may change once/if he gets a taste of the NHL, I hope so.

"No speed to overcome his lack of size. Schroeder doesn't have that problem."

Firstly, it takes more than speed to be effective, even when you are small. Secondly can you back this up with figures. I mean what are we talking about here? Schroeder doesn't exactly leave players in his wake as say Raymond does so no he doesn't look particularly quick to me.

I thought Ebbett should get the second line position just because you can't just slot someone on the second line on a cup contending team when they don't have NHL experience. Ebbett was also an offensive threat every time he was on the ice in the wolves games I watched, whereas Schroeder seemed to be struggling often. With that said, I wouldn't have a BIG problem with him being given a shot, but if it were me I'd go with experience (since it's a 48 game season).

However if I was the coach I wouldn't pick either of them to center the second line, here's what my lineup would look like:

Raymond-Henrik-Kassian

Daniel-Lapierre-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen (Higgins and raymond could potentially switch spots)

Volpatti-Manny-Weise

Ebbet/Pinizzotto (Ebbett can slot in anywhere on the LW or C position, he's a pretty versatile player with a big heart)

I'd put Lapierre on the second line with Burrows because they have really good chemistry, and Lappy can create havoc in front of the net while Danny sets them up with his excellent passing. On paper they just seem to me like they'd mesh well together.

This is the third line c position in a shortened season with the second line demolished,already.

One candidate has played 2c with Getzlaf and Perry and one has never played an NHL game.

I agree there is a necessity to slot Schroeder in for all the progressive reasons but with the lockout scenario and now both Booth and Kesler out the conclusion seems all but a foregone conclusion.

Schroeder will get fair time and probably see a few NHL games for the experience.

Ebbett is a veteran,can play/has played all three forward positions and has hundreds of games of professional experience under his belt,including second round playoff duties.

Logical sir.

I'm afraid as I've said many times performance matters little to CDC until after a defeat. They see "young" "prospect" "speedy?" and the hormones take over until the reality of the score brings them tumbling back down to earth.

I suspect AV will go with your assessment as it is a REAL WORLD decision for him.

I feel Ebbett has vastly outplayed Shroeder and is the better choice but I have a feeling Shroeder will get the nod just to give him a chance to showcase what he is capable of against other teams. To start I think Ebbett will play the same depth role like he did last year. That being said, I don't expect Shroeder to last long at the NHL level and will quickly be replaced by Ebbett after a couple of games.

Shroeder has failed to really impress anyone at the AHL level this season, so I really don't see him stepping up at the NHL level. Though I'll be happy to be proven wrong with this one. I'm not very confident in our ability to win with the second line we currently (don't) have.

Personally I don't think we're starting the season with a "second" line. We'll have a 1st line, a 3A, a 3B and a 4th line.

My guess barring returns from an impending Luongo trade:

1 - Dank, Hank, Bur

3A - Higgins, Lappy, Raymond/Hansen (let's assume Raymond)

3B - Some mix of Hansen/Raymond/Schroeder/Ebbett/Kassian (depending on who earns the spots...let's assume Hansen, Ebbett, Kassian).

4 - Manny (centre) with a mix of Volpatti/Weise/Kassian etc (Though personally, if Kas can't earn a spot on 3B, I'd rather see him playing more minutes on the Wolves).

3A will get the majority of D-zone faceoffs/harder match ups/shut down roll. 3B will get more O-zone starts, easier match ups etc.

After all this schroeder talk i wanted to see what scouts and everyone else drafted him as. He was a unanimous top 15 pick and often in the top 10 on most lists. He was also one of the stronger prospects at the rookie testing camp. I think he can do better then a lot of people give him credit. Also feel like some Dman may move out of position to lay out the "little guy" once in a while opening up the pass.

Schroeder just because he's younger, and he has more potential.

And if he's not in the Canucks' long term plans, then They've got to get him playing time, so that teams know what he's capable of.

He's got talent, there's no question about that. It's whether all that talent can be translated into the NHL. no better season than this one shortened season to test to see if he can, and is able.

Schroeder, for many reasons. The main reason I'll provide, though, is that he's a young, talented player with lot's of potential and room to improve. Ebbett, on the other hand, is what he is at this point.

To make a roster like the Canucks you have to earn it, yes, but at the same time I think that can be delicately balanced with giving young players like Schroeder the opportunities, regardless of if there is a safer option, like Lapierre. It's an even bigger leap of faith for the coach to do something like this in a shortened season, where key mistakes by a rookie can lose you games, which can lose you a playoff spot, but I think it's necessary if you want these kinds of players to actually develop into the players you envisioned them to be. Confidence or lack thereof is a significant element in a young player's progression. If AV were to go up to Jordan and say "Jordan, we're short on offensive players because of the injuries to Kesler and Booth. The 2nd line center spot is currently open and you were drafted and developed by this organization for this kind of a role so we're going to put you there to start the season", I think it would do wonders for Schroeder's confidence going forward, knowing he hasn't exactly earned it in terms of beating out other more established players but the coach has faith in him anyways.

In my opinion, this is also a matter of good asset management. You've got a guy who was drafted 3 and a half years ago and he hasn't even been called up to the bigs once, let alone actually seen some NHL action. At some point, you've got to evaluate what you have from a draft that took place a whole 3 years ago. Schroeder and Connauton are two names that are overdue for a look in the NHL.

Archived