Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brewdog

Really obscure Canucks question (Mike Keenen era)

8 posts in this topic

Wayyyy back in the day, I remember someone (maybe Don Taylor) reporting that Mike Keenen had all the player numbers removed from the helmets as soon as he took over as coach. I can't remember if it was said that he did this everywhere he coached, but it was never explained why he did this.

Anyone know the story?

Jerk off coached the Rangers to that '94 Cup win...never been a fan of him so don't know a lot about him.

But it would be interesting to know :P

I don't have any insight into this...however I have a story about Keenan that would fan the hatred that we all have for him...

I think it was 1980 Memorial Cup when Keenan was coaching the Peterborough Petes...he tanked a game against Regina Pats so that his Petes could play against a weaker Cornwall Royals in the final game...Keenan tanking the game was obvious and I remember as a kid reading about it in the Winnipeg Free Press, my hometown paper. The sweet justice was the Cornwall Royals, led by Dale Hawerchuk, Scott Ariel (the same Wolves coach) and a midget defenceman named Dave Ezard laid the boots to Keenan's team.

I have hated Mike Keenan since the spring of 1980.

I remember that Keenan tankng a game in the Memorial Cup was the reason why John Ferguson senior refused to hire a young Mike Keenan to coach the Winnipeg Jets.

I don't have any insight into this...however I have a story about Keenan that would fan the hatred that we all have for him...

I think it was 1980 Memorial Cup when Keenan was coaching the Peterborough Petes...he tanked a game against Regina Pats so that his Petes could play against a weaker Cornwall Royals in the final game...Keenan tanking the game was obvious and I remember as a kid reading about it in the Winnipeg Free Press, my hometown paper. The sweet justice was the Cornwall Royals, led by Dale Hawerchuk, Scott Ariel (the same Wolves coach) and a midget defenceman named Dave Ezard laid the boots to Keenan's team.

I have hated Mike Keenan since the spring of 1980.

I remember that Keenan tankng a game in the Memorial Cup was the reason why John Ferguson senior refused to hire a young Mike Keenan to coach the Winnipeg Jets.

I don't know but I'd bet it has something to do with being a ballbuster.

:bigblush:

Sometime in I think 97? Keenan was brought in as coach and oddly then took over the GM job for a while...My best guess is this was a financial decision, or just to be a jerk.

He and Messier were a blight on this team. Players hated keenan and I am sure he hated them right back. He traded out almost half the roster, including Trevor Linden in just a few weeks time. I am not a Linden devotee, I wish he never came back to Vancouver, as it cast a shadow over Naslund's captaincy, however I would have preferred LInden to Messier/Keenan hands down. My overall guess is that this was a nuanced way to punish players..taking away some of their individual branding on the ice, as well as a money saving idea: no personalized helmets means helmet A can be used for player B when A is traded away, without too much fuss or work in the change over of the helmet.

Keenan Messier...now I am mad at you for reminding me of this tragedy in Vancouver history. >:o[