The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kulikov still in Russia, far from deal.

He's 22 and already has over 200 games of NHL experience.

"Because his base salary of $810,000 — total salary of $900,000 minus signing bonus of $90,000 — is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer."

A qualifying offer of $850k surely wasn't going to get it done.

I wouldn't be too quick to chalk this up to Kulikov (or being Russian) - the Panthers are a budget franchise... it's not hard to see some difficulty coming to terms.

I could see the Panthers wanting to dump some salary on us in order to afford Kulikov's raise and Luongo.

Florida obviously has an internal cap, so they may need to make a trade just to reach it. I can't see them spending another 9-10 million on salary, not when they're already well over the cap floor.

Candidates:

Versteeg

Upshall

Jovanovski

Unlikelies:

Campbell

Weiss

Fleischmann

I could see the Panthers wanting to dump some salary on us in order to afford Kulikov's raise and Luongo.

Florida obviously has an internal cap, so they may need to make a trade just to reach it. I can't see them spending another 9-10 million on salary, not when they're already well over the cap floor.

Candidates:

Versteeg

Upshall

Jovanovski

Unlikelies:

Campbell

Weiss

Fleischmann

Somehow I don't see Benn going over to Russia and playing.

I didn't say I blamed the guy. Why wouldn't you wanna play for your home town team? Especially if they're willing to give him lots of incentives to stay there.

It's just a scary thought to have a player that can basically bolt on you any time they feel like it.

He's 22 and already has over 200 games of NHL experience.

"Because his base salary of $810,000 — total salary of $900,000 minus signing bonus of $90,000 — is greater than $660,000 and less than $1,000,000, it is increased by 5 percent for the purposes of his qualifying offer."

A qualifying offer of $850k surely wasn't going to get it done.

I wouldn't be too quick to chalk this up to Kulikov (or being Russian) - the Panthers are a budget franchise... it's not hard to see some difficulty coming to terms.

Definitely would be a nice player to have.

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

Here's a look at the Top 5 Unsigned Restricted Free Agents... could any sign this weekend? http://www.thefourth...x.html …

in the link he gives some comparables for Kulikov's next contract:

ERIK JOHNSON

4-years, $15 million

LUKE SCHENN

5-years, $18 million

JOHNNY BOYCHUK

3-years, $10.1 million

So right around 3.5, which I would think is right on the money over a 2-4 year deal.

I'm sick of hearing about this dislike towards Russians for "bolting" to the KHL. It's rediculous. No one just ups and goes off to play in the KHL if they're signed and have a contract with an NHL team, and not many players prefer a KHL contract over an NHL contract. The only guy that comes to mind is Radulov - that's it.

The lockout and difficulty communicating in such a short window is why free agents are still in Russia playing in the KHL, not because they'd rather be there than playing for the Stanley Cup. Don't blame the player, blame the league for locking out its players. It's unrealistic to expect a free agent to sign within a few days of the lockout being lifted anyway.

As for Kulikov, he is one skilled defenceman who would boost any team's defence and will be signed eventually.

Archived