The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The lockout could not have come at a better time for Canucks

VicNuckleHead09

Woke up early this morning, excited for hockey and was thinking about the greatest team in the NHL, my beloved Canucks. I had been severely enraged by a recent article on 'Sportsnet.ca' written by one loud-mouthed writer (Spector) and had been thinking about and digesting the possibility that this may not be the Canucks year. ( I don't believe this but still I like to give other peoples ideas and thinkings a good once over - hint hint.) Frankly, I believe with all the current changes and the seemingly endless "questions" that people seem to have regarding the Canucks, I am only left with one. Can it really be so bad that this year will only be a shortened season??? Here is a few things/ideas I have come up with:

1) Goal-tending: This seems to be the hot topic and since I have not made a ridiculous thread I would appreciate if people would read what is written before making random/hater/troll comments. I believe that Cory needs a good shot at taking over the reigns from Luongo. I believe in a shortened season he can do this since most of the games are against division rivals and all the games are in the Western conference. In the least, this will give us a better picture of how he has developed as a goalie and where some of his strengths and weaknesses are.

**I hope he is successful in doing an amazing job for our team and I for one truly believe that he is deserving and up for the task. **

however -- if we find that this is not the case, it will give our team an idea of what he is worth 'market-wise' and also give us more insight on what we can do with Luongo. -- Which in the short-term means we have to keep his massive contract on-board and he will have to play second fiddle for a shortened season. Since the Canucks have ridden Luongo like the village mule in years past this should come as a well deserved break.

( I am reminded of a certain 'president hating' goaltender out East that has a smile like a 6 year old boy getting his very first erection and whom took a year off and went on to steal a cup)

post-56151-0-34057000-1358437905_thumb.j

I believe we should still offer Lou a few showcase style games to show other interested parties his skills and to help build up team and his own confidence -- even though I am fairly sure he is not lacking it.

post-56151-0-21025300-1358450394_thumb.j

At the end of the year, based on what has happened, the stats, and general impression from management (a.k.a FANS = D)... make a judgement call on whom should be once an for all our #1 goaltender going forward and put this issue to bed.

If Cory works out, then we can trade for areas that we are not strong in.... (insert any random post here from the 'billions' of items CDC deems the Canucks are lacking).

If not -- We have the option of either keeping Lou or --- Trading him to another team for a prospective goalie or one that has shown his skills in the past and is looking to move one -- If the Canadiens are not overly impressed with Price, I think he could be a very interesting straight up trade. This, I think, would be a good fit for both Goalies. I like Price and believe that there would be little lost from this trade.

2. Give the Core members of our team some much needed rest -- Except the Sedin brothers, cause lets face it.... they are freaks, beasts of men and can seemingly keep playing and playing and not get injured. ( unless the use of obvious illegal hits that the league seems to blink at the moment of impact as to think "this is going to hurt" ) -- This is NOT a 'tank the season' thread but instead this can simply be done by playing the season laid out for us. West conference ONLY -- means less travel, familiar opponents - we have dominated in the past (Presidents trophy x2), and more divisional games (that are brutal but yes, we need to be able to take on these teams and find a way to get through it without losing the entire team to injury... like has happened in the past... in the last few games of the season... to a team that I am starting to loathe... the Oilers).

Let our injured players heal up, in lieu of the next complete season - This is not deserving of #3 since has this has been blown way out of proportion in recent memory. As this also seems to be belched again, and then echoed and can be seen from some of the recent topics posted on this 'CANUCKS' forum. Once again, I speculate is detailed again in a certain article - which I have still not be able to read, for a second straight day... thank you sportsnet's retarded webmasters!!! FED UP TRYING.)

Kesler needs rest - He is a key to our team, he needs some time to let his body heal to 100% (not 170% or 290% but 100%). So he can return to that form he showed in the playoffs two seasons ago and can be our Captain when the Sedins are gone... eventually. He is a proven player but has given his body up for punishment and deserves the time off.

Booth screwed up - Day 1 of camp brah? Before tests began brah? - You got my hopes up, and I had envisioned for you to be a great help to Manny regaining confidence and getting another contract signed at the end of the year. Way to much potential to be sitting on the sidelines here. I am /honestly/ choked up and enraged by your lack of fitness or stretching. I know these type of injuries happen but you are suppose to be an elite athlete dammit. In the end though... I still believe in you and you are welcome back to my team and my heart until you piss me off again.

post-56151-0-79566000-1358438088_thumb.j

Others - People are going to get injured in this track meet of a season. They will need to take the proper time off. There is no sense in destroying a valuable players career, like Kassian or Hansen, if they are not going to be given the proper length of time to recover from their injuries they may suffer.

3. Secondary scoring?? - This is the easiest part, it also ties into the other parts of this equation which is great. Learn to play as a team without Kesler and Booth!!! Defensively and offensively ensure that each player is not a liability. When those star players return, adopt them back into the system and they will most likely flourish and returning as the star players they were signed to be. They will then be able to rely on other players in other areas of the game, which was not the case in the Cup finals a few years back.

Once hurt - the team seemed to fall apart and not able to rely on other, lesser players, to be able to get the job done. Defense will be paramount in this and will need to grow as well. We have made some recent changes to defense and think this will be a great learning opportunity for them. I for one will enjoy seeing how some members fit and how they adapt to life with this great and talented organization.

4. Develop youth -- Key to any good franchise is drafting and developing. We have a great system of developing talent but... we seem to give up too early (or they seem to) and then we get rid of the players. They ( Grabner, Cody, Shirokov -hehe ) play for another team and become good/great prospective players. This is the teams chance to give 2 members their chance to improve and maybe even impress. Why not give them the chance. They need to be able to grow. These rookies (Jordan, Kassian) should get a fair shot at playing productive and important minutes. Not only for the team to get an indication of where they are as complete players but where they can improve. (while at the same time improving thinking #2) This will help the team by letting younger players take experience bonuses from minutes and letting the 'work-horse' Sedins spend those minutes on the bench, away from the risk of over-extending and injury.

post-56151-0-80035100-1358438128_thumb.j

"For Cody with love"

5. Not being the team to ONLY win the cup in a shortened season. - I can hear the other teams fans now.. in my head saying - " Your team can only win a shortened season!! hahaha!! - derp derp derp". I don't think that is the case at all since we had DOMINATED the league for such a long time. We can win!! BUT for some reason we have not and fell one game short of this. Which will eat at my soul till the day we finally hoist the cup in the great city of Vancouver. (being parade or local game win) B)

post-56151-0-72852600-1358438201_thumb.j

I believe over-all #5 will save the most lives. (hehe) as local Vancouver/BC fans seem to have a inferiority complex about their team not having won a cup (EVER) and putting undue amounts of pressure on the players and over-celebrating or over-reacting successes and failueres. ( Case and point -- the annual cop car flip.) :picard:

in closing, I love this team! I hope them nothing but the best in the near future and believe they can have a successful season. I hope they have great success this season but are following a game plan. As well as, some common sense as laid out above.

-------------------------------

I think this is where I will cut off this post even though I could likely continue with other thoughts and things I consider to be of great importance in the upcoming season. I hope this reaches the fans and not just the trolls and boy-cotters a.k.a band-wagoners.. :bigblush:

Have a great Thursday Canucks fans, from all walks of life, and remember to " Keep your stick on the ice." :canucks:

post-56151-0-34057000-1358437905_thumb.j

post-56151-0-79566000-1358438088_thumb.j

post-56151-0-80035100-1358438128_thumb.j

post-56151-0-72852600-1358438201_thumb.j

post-56151-0-21025300-1358450394_thumb.j

I agree with most of what you say, except you are way off about Booth. He is a fitness fanatic, in fact, AV said training or conditioning wasn`t the issue, he said he may have in fact over trained. Random injuries like that can happen to anyone, whether they have been training or not. But overall some interesting points and a good post in my opinion.

I agree with most of what you say, except you are way off about Booth. He is a fitness fanatic, in fact, AV said training or conditioning wasn`t the issue, he said he may have in fact over trained. Random injuries like that can happen to anyone, whether they have been training or not. But overall some interesting points and a good post in my opinion.

I apologize for my inconsiderate & intolerant remarks of your use of the English language. The abhorrent desecration of our language is typical of the X and Y generations and I should learn to be more forgiving.

When reading a diatribe that numbers in the hundreds of words, it's always more pleasurable when the structure flows smoothly.

Your extra verbose comments are nothing new that hasn't been said a thousand times and are simply observations that could easily have been provided in a much shorter novel format.

I'm amused by the CDC posters that have not seen a Canuck hockey game for almost 9 months but still think they have valid comments to make on the team structure and how it should be coached and managed.

Judging from the responses to my original post, you have some sympathetic fans in this forum. It seems our society is forgiving of the level of illiteracy we now endure.

I apologize for my inconsiderate & intolerant remarks of your use of the English language. The abhorrent desecration of our language is typical of the X and Y generations and I should learn to be more forgiving.

When reading a diatribe that numbers in the hundreds of words, it's always more pleasurable when the structure flows smoothly.

Your extra verbose comments are nothing new that hasn't been said a thousand times and are simply observations that could easily have been provided in a much shorter novel format.

I'm amused by the CDC posters that have not seen a Canuck hockey game for almost 9 months but still think they have valid comments to make on the team structure and how it should be coached and managed.

Judging from the responses to my original post, you have some sympathetic fans in this forum. It seems our society is forgiving of the level of illiteracy we now endure.

Archived