The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Connolly expected to be on waivers according to TSN

CB007

The way I understood it is, if you come last, then you get the most amount of balls in the lottery. And the amount goes down the higher up you placed. And that applies to every non playoff team now. Whereas before it was just the bottom 5 or whatever.

So if you finished 17th, you might have like a 1/100 shot of the first overall pick. And the 30th place team would have like a 1 in two shot. But you can drop an unlimitted amount of spots until your ball is chosen.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

Somebody will pick up Connolly, and it will be before Vancouver can put in a claim.

Looking over his career, I think Connolly actually fits with the Canucks strategy of having guys that can play up and down the line-up in multiple roles. He can play wing or center. Connolly has played considerable time on both powerplay and penalty kill in recent seasons in Toronto and Buffalo. Toronto saw his powerplay time at its lowest. Looking over his career numbers, he is not a great face-off guy which is something the Canucks wouldn't like.

If the Canucks got him, and they could fit him under the cap, he would be a guy who could fill on the 2nd line for Kesler, a right handed shot for the powerplay (1st or 2nd unit), and a guy who could chip in on the penalty kill too.

I would think that there will be some team that will take the risk for one year on him.

If Toronto sends him down to the AHL, they still take the cap hit for most of his salary. Surprised they couldn't trade him and pay part of his salary the way they did with Lombardi.

The way I understood it is, if you come last, then you get the most amount of balls in the lottery. And the amount goes down the higher up you placed. And that applies to every non playoff team now. Whereas before it was just the bottom 5 or whatever.

So if you finished 17th, you might have like a 1/100 shot of the first overall pick. And the 30th place team would have like a 1 in two shot. But you can drop an unlimitted amount of spots until your ball is chosen.

I could be wrong, but that's how I understood it.

Archived