Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Waivers] Connolly expected to be on waivers according to TSN

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#61 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Why should we pick up Toronto's dead weight?

4.75M is too much. Including Kesler's cap we have less than 2M left. He's injury prone, had 2 season serious concussions. At that cap hit I would give Schroeder and Ebbett a chance first.
Posted Image

#62 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

Nonis has perty much taking the Leafs out of the running for Luongo the last few days by dumping a few of there veterans to allow there young players to develop

I'm still kind of holding out for Tyler Bozak plus plus, but I still think Florida is our most attractive potential suitor.
Posted Image

#63 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

Connolly clears waivers

#64 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Connolly clears waivers

I guess Kesler must be closer to coming back than people think.

Edited by JyrkiBeefLumme, 18 January 2013 - 10:12 AM.

#65 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Either that or MG has different plans, like Gomez?

Or stay with what we have for now, see how things play out?

Edited by vancanfan, 18 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#66 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

They probably are willing to try Schroeder with Kassian and Raymond to start the season, and probably roll the lines 22m/14m/14m/10m
something along those lines wouldn't be bad.

Edited by goblix, 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#67 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,598 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Or they are willing to try Schroeder with Kassian and Raymond to start the season, and probably roll the lines 22m/14m/14m/10m
something along those lines wouldn't be bad.

Or no one was going to claim him considering his salary/cap hit. If Nonis doesn't just let him sit in the AHL, the rumour is he'll try and trade him again but offering to keep some of the salary/cap hit. They don't really want that much cap hit sitting in the AHL if they can help it.

Edited by elvis15, 18 January 2013 - 10:42 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#68 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

trust me i had him in sim league as nucks gm and i won cup with him

#69 goblix

goblix

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Or no one was going to claim him considering his salary/cap hit. If Nonis doesn't just let him sit in the AHL, the rumour is he'll try and trade him again but offering to keep some of the salary/cap hit. They don't really want that much cap hit sitting in the AHL if they can help it.

It's not so bad since he's UFA next season, it's like having a free rental. The only problem would be fitting him under the cap but on that note, a Luongo trade for prospects, or a LTIR cap relief with Booth and Kesler it's definitely manageable.
Can teams actually trade salary/cap now? i know it was in the CBA talks not sure if it came to fruition.

#70 mangosteens

mangosteens

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yes. Regarding waiver pick-ups (ie. Connolly) Gillis said on the radio this morning that it didn't make sense to pick up a player with a larger cap hit for "a couple weeks". Pretty clear that he thinks Kesler will not be out much longer, but was very careful not to commit to any timetable on Kes.

#71 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

In the new CBA, if a player is in the AHL, only the first $900,000 of his salary is off your cap. Anything the player makes above that is on your NHL team's salary cap.

So Connolly on the Marlies still eats up $3,850,000 of their cap. But at least there are no re-entry waivers, so he's still an asset of sorts.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#72 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

If Gillis wanted Connolly he'd try to get him in some sort of cap retention deal.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#73 Dilly Canuck

Dilly Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

If we get Connolly and Kesler comes back, would Connolly be a good fit on the 3rd line? Personally I don't think he would and like others have said..would only be a short term fix.

Doug Mclean on sportsnet@noon said Gomez would be a great fit on our team with speedy wingers like Hansen, Raymond and Higgins. Also said he's a great team guy and has valuable playoff experience the Canucks could use.

For me:
Gomez > Connolly...Kesler will probably be coming back soon and if so I really don't like Connolly as a number three center. Next year's free agent center group is also FRIGHTENING and if Gomez performs well, we can re-sign him for an affordable price until a longer term solution is found for 3rd line center role.

#74 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,598 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

It's not so bad since he's UFA next season, it's like having a free rental. The only problem would be fitting him under the cap but on that note, a Luongo trade for prospects, or a LTIR cap relief with Booth and Kesler it's definitely manageable.
Can teams actually trade salary/cap now? i know it was in the CBA talks not sure if it came to fruition.

Yes, it is a part of the new CBA. The Lombardi trade is the first example of a team keeping salary or cap hit, go check out Toronto's Capgeek page and you'll see him still listed as such.

Yes. Regarding waiver pick-ups (ie. Connolly) Gillis said on the radio this morning that it didn't make sense to pick up a player with a larger cap hit for "a couple weeks". Pretty clear that he thinks Kesler will not be out much longer, but was very careful not to commit to any timetable on Kes.

Heard the Gillis interview and noticed he specifically said 'a $4.5M player' when talking about it. I have heard some rumblings that Kesler is closer than all the out indefinitely rumours have suggested as well.

In the new CBA, if a player is in the AHL, only the first $900,000 of his salary is off your cap. Anything the player makes above that is on your NHL team's salary cap.

So Connolly on the Marlies still eats up $3,850,000 of their cap. But at least there are no re-entry waivers, so he's still an asset of sorts.

Yup, that's what I mean, but I'm sure the Leafs don't want nearly $4M in cap space sitting in the AHL either. They'll have to find a way to move him or get stuck with it.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#75 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Connolly is a concussion waiting too happen.

Not like, say, David Booth...

#76 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Not like, say, David Booth...

Booth's concussion problem was nothing compared to Connolly's. Plus Booth is a big boy.
Posted Image

#77 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

Booth's concussion problem was nothing compared to Connolly's. Plus Booth is a big boy.

You tell 'em Dr. Recchi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.