The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG should be on thin ice...

nitwitt

I agree that his moves to re-sign players have been good, but that post was a response that he added the key members to make the team a contender.........he's made a 1-2 good moves, a cpl of ok moves and a few blah moves. His record is not as spectacular as the myth of MG indicates.

Still, I have no problem with the job he has done in Van, but if he fumbles the goaltender situation it could cost him his job

Yes, that would be good management. What kind of GM lets an unproven rookie(or his dad) walk all over him and dictate the terms of play? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players? CoHo should have been put in his place and treated like the spoiled kid he was acting like. He is no Lindros (not even a Brett). He should have been told to "Do as your dam well told or you can go to the minors. If you don't like those 2 options, sit out and see what it does to your career." End of story.

Another solid signing, Edler on board for below market value. Guy is our new Ohlund, underrated in every aspect of the game and an absolute trooper who you don't really notice unless he's not there.

Now I want to say, because some people are actually taking this ridiculous argument seriously, here's a postscript to my earlier post on this topic:

Results since Gillis took over:

Year 1: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 2: won division, 3rd in conference, 5th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 3: first overall, lost in finals

Year 4: first overall, lost in first round

Year 5: TBA

If he blows this Loungo deal by not getting a scoring winger, a real prospect and a draft pick then he should be toast. He has already thrown away 2 very good players in Grabner and COHO for a bottom 6 forward, a number 7 dman and a "project". could you imagine if those 2 players were in the lineup today. Granted he's made some nice aquisitions in Hamius and Garrison, but is it just me, he seems not able to pull the trigger on landing a true top 6 forward(Booth is not a top 6, post concussion).

comments...

After watching the Sabres stomp the Flyers today, I recant this statement, MG should be fired now. This COHO deal will go down as one of the very worst in the history of the Canucks. Thanks MG you'll be known as the Canucks version of "Stu Jackson". At least we'll get to keep the franchise here in Vancouver.

Another solid signing, Edler on board for below market value. Guy is our new Ohlund, underrated in every aspect of the game and an absolute trooper who you don't really notice unless he's not there.

Now I want to say, because some people are actually taking this ridiculous argument seriously, here's a postscript to my earlier post on this topic:

I feel like this is fairly self-explanatory but apparently not, so let's look at the previous years:

07-08: last in division, 11th in conference, 20th overall, missed playoffs, Nonis fired, Gillis hired

06-07: won division, 3rd in conference, 8th overall, lost in second round

05-06: 4th in division, 9th in conference, 17th overall, missed playoffs, Crawford fired, Luongo acquired

04-05: lockout

03-04: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in first round

02-03: 2nd in division, fourth in conference, 6th overall, lost in second round

01-02: 2nd in division, 8th in conference, 15th overall, lost in first round

00-01: 3rd in division, 8th in conference,15th overall, lost in first round

Prior to 2000: missed playoffs four straight seasons

I get the feeling some people on these boards have only known that the Vancouver Canucks are a hockey team for a few years. Maybe those people should show some humility and not second-guess every decision? There was a time when we were overjoyed just to make the playoffs, you know. Having a team this good is not a fait accompli, y'all should feel privileged and lucky to enjoy watching it, and not stew over the coach or GM. Go back to your EA Sports if you think you can do better and don't drag down the rest of us who appreciate the historic rarity of a team this good in this city.

Nope

Nope

Nope

Sabres forum is that way---->

you are clearly only a fan of a player and not the team (or as long as Gillis is here) so why not give your ulcers a break and go cheer your heart out for your boy and leave us in peace as we fail or not with what we have?

After watching the Sabres stomp the Flyers today, I recant this statement, MG should be fired now. This COHO deal will go down as one of the very worst in the history of the Canucks. Thanks MG you'll be known as the Canucks version of "Stu Jackson". At least we'll get to keep the franchise here in Vancouver.

So you watch one game and decide? He'll be known as?....according to whom?

Archived