The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG should be on thin ice...

nitwitt

Nope

Nope

Nope

Sabres forum is that way---->

you are clearly only a fan of a player and not the team (or as long as Gillis is here) so why not give your ulcers a break and go cheer your heart out for your boy and leave us in peace as we fail or not with what we have?

This thread is laughable.

Some people need to temper expectations.

Name one GM who has a flawless record.

You can't. Believe it or not, as humans, as people, we mistakes.

Yes, NHL GMs too...

Managers are either above average, average, or below average.

Look at the other top managers in the league.

Are they significantly better than MG?

MG ain't perfect, but he's pretty damned good.

His good moves far outweigh the bad.

For those sucking at the Burke-Nonis teat.... give it a rest.

As if Gillis should have gotten rid of perfectly good core players simply to appease a few nutty fans LMAO.

Gillis took an "okay" team with some good players, and turned them into a perennial contender.

It's no accident.

Ultimately its the players who have to perform.

Management can only do so much.

I was a fan of Gillis' philosophy of emphasizing character and building a strong team. Lately, however, I've become disappointed with his management.

First, his handling of players' relationships with the team and with the fans. Hodgson, for one wanted to be traded because he wasn't getting the ice time he wanted. The kid was a potential future franchise player and Gillis should have repaired his relationship with the team and made something right. Instead, he deals him for Kassian, who has good qualities, but will never be a franchise player like Hodgson will be. He's also bungled on how he's handling Luongo - the man was exposed to more than his fair share of criticism from the fans it's no wonder he no longer wants to play here. After all he's done in Vancouver, from leading the team to new heights (two Presidents' Trophies, one Stanley Cup finals appearance) and representing Canada and the Canucks in the Olympics, and winning gold on Canuck ice, he deserves more respect and when the fans began deriding him for "single-handedly losing the Cup," an arguement that cannot be further from the truth, Gillis should have stood behind him by saying, "He has earned his place here, he's a part of this city and this team, after (everything mentioned), we have every confidence he will lead us for the next ten years. And we will regroup behind the man to get back to the finals and win." Conversely, he's given this kind support to Bieksa back in 2010, someone I vehemently felt should have been traded (while Mitchell stays on). Well, at least Bieksa did rebound from his error to be an improved player, but in any case, Mitchell has done more to earn his place being the heart-and-soul warrior who gave himself to the team more than just about anyone else and thus deserved to stay. His actions damage the players' relationship with both the organization and fans, and it won't be long before more people will want out of town.

Above it all, Gillis has talked about building a character team - however, something just isn't working. Why is the Canucks the third-most hated hockey club (as of 2011-12) in the league? Not because others are jealous. It's because players here have resorted to playing dirty in order to win - but when the toughies come out of the woodworks, they embellish or run away. Case in point, Burrows' finger biting, the Sedins' dives, or heck Luongo's complaining over facing Byfuglien, to name a few things. It's a sore lack of character on display and people cannot respect this. Even when we faced the Bruins in 2011, I couldn't help but respect that team, even though I badly wanted Vancouver to win. As the leader, Gillis is responsible to hold everyone to account and when someone just won't fit, they must go.

So in short, I, once an ardent Canuck fan, can no longer bring myself to support them like I used to. In my books, it's time for a change. Gillis has had his go, but now, we need someone else.

Nope

Nope

Nope

Sabres forum is that way---->

you are clearly only a fan of a player and not the team (or as long as Gillis is here) so why not give your ulcers a break and go cheer your heart out for your boy and leave us in peace as we fail or not with what we have?

• 2 weeks later...

Enter my campaign. Replace Gillis with someone who can command respect and loyalty throughout the league, the fanbase, and the roster and who won't fall asleep at the wheel. That man is Trevor Linden.

I've been a steadfast Canuck fan myself for many years, but I am horrified to see a disappointing lack of character from the ice to the management - see the "Linden for GM" post for more details. It's not reflective of myself or this city (another reputation tattered in the riots). As far as winning goes, even at their paramount in 2011, it was soon evident the Nucks didn't have the character to get past the Bruins.

Change is possible. With the addition of one man, the Los Angeles Clippers went from the bottom to the top. The same can happen here, but until then, no self-respecting fan can cheer for the Canucks. That's why until then, it's one of the toughest decisions of my life, but I will take my support to the Prairies and root for the Edmonton Oilers.

Archived