The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG should be on thin ice...

nitwitt

Gillis Pros:

Cap Management, Player friendly

Gillis Cons:

Lack of GM experience leads to poor asset management. So what if CoHo asked for a trade. MY answer would have been "No. You are Canucks property, now spank spank and straight to the minors with you."

It is starting to look like he has squandered our future potential (prospects and draft picks) on plugs and projects. Some have worked out but he never managed to keep them around! (Ehrhoff,Torres,Mitchell etc) I often wonder what MG's garage looks like. I envision a bunch of rusted out broken down projects destined for the scrap pile.

I also wonder if MG's hard line Player Agent days are a detriment to his career as a GM. Is it possible it is that much harder for him to make a trade because some other GMs just don't want to deal with him?

MG is starting to show a clear tendency towards washed up players or players (From Sundin-Barker and everyone in between)who everyone else have given up on. I guess it's ok if they work out but really, is that a sustainable way to build a contender. You are really just playing the odds at that point and hoping for the best.

The current team really is a Burke/Nonis creation, despite what the super homers here are trying to spin.Even the coach, who, if memory serves, was on the thinnest of ice before MG came along.

I would be extremely interested to hear Mikael Samuelson expand on reasons why he "Will not miss the canucks management" Would also like to hear some candid responses from other players regarding GMMG.

Gillis is vastly overrated by the homer Vancouver media and fans. If it wasn't for the player's he inherited we would be battling for last every year. The Canuck's have no depth because of MG's constant failures and it's only getting worse.

Every Gillis homer points to the fact he re-signed some players, big deal. Any GM the Canucks could have hired, or retained, would have signed the Sedin's. A GM is defined by the players he acquires You have a serious problem if your GM's crowning achievement is re-signing players that were already here

Every Gillis homer points to the fact he re-signed some players, big deal. Any GM the Canucks could have hired, or retained, would have signed the Sedin's. A GM is defined by the players he acquires You have a serious problem if your GM's crowning achievement is re-signing players that were already here

Yes, that would be good management. What kind of GM lets an unproven rookie(or his dad) walk all over him and dictate the terms of play? What kind of message does that send to the rest of the players? CoHo should have been put in his place and treated like the spoiled kid he was acting like. He is no Lindros (not even a Brett). He should have been told to "Do as your dam well told or you can go to the minors. If you don't like those 2 options, sit out and see what it does to your career." End of story.

The team is a Burke/Nonis creation. The impact players MG has brought in, have mostly moved on at their first opportunity. The rest he has brought in have been bottom of the barrel, 29 team reject, plugs.

Regardless of Samuelson's role on the team (maybe it was more than he is given credit for, along with Ehrhoff and Torres), there was something about management that rubbed him wrong enough to be vocal about it. I would like to know where the smoke is coming from as Samuelson probably isn't the only one, just the only vocal one.

Is everyone that analyzes the nux without pink sunglasses on an automatic trawler? Perhaps, to some.

Sincerely,

S.

Gillis royally effed up with the Luongo contract and now he is effing up the possibility of trading him. Two roster players plus a pick for 33 year old Luongo "play-off choke artist" and his monster contract? Get serious. He is asking for way too much and no one is going to take a deal like that. We had a great opportunity to trade him to Toronto and finally get rid of this burden, and he screws it up by making outrageous demands. I'm still super pi ssed about losing Hodgson too, the best Canucks prospect in years for an unproven work in progress Kassian who is no where near Hodgsons talent level. And then there was Grabner, another offensively gifted prospect with huge potential, traded for Ballard, an expensive d man who has spent more time in the dog house than play. Not happy with these parts of Gillis' trade record.

Gillis is on thin us if we fail again and he doesn't fire AV. AV has screwed another young prospect in schroeder, just like cody. Schroeder is our future, not freaking ebbert. God damn if AV fails again, Gillis should show AV and himself the door! Sick of AV screwing young prospects!

Well Grabner was a -18 last year and only had 32 pts, in 78games.......He doesn't play defence and the only reason his +/- was good 2 seasons ago was because he played on the 1st PP Unit with Tavares and Moulson

I don't want forwards who don't back-check on this team....so losing him wasn't a huge deal. Booth will be better this year IMO, both him and Kesler were injured last year and he still was on pace for 20+ goals if it wasn't for that knee-on-knee hit.

I'm not even going to discuss the Kassian trade, because they are different players and both aren't very proven in the NHL.

Gillis is the best GM we've ever had, and will make the right choice when it comes to Luongo

Well Grabner was a -18 last year and only had 32 pts, in 78games.......He doesn't play defence and the only reason his +/- was good 2 seasons ago was because he played on the 1st PP Unit with Tavares and Moulson

I don't want forwards who don't back-check on this team....so losing him wasn't a huge deal. Booth will be better this year IMO, both him and Kesler were injured last year and he still was on pace for 20+ goals if it wasn't for that knee-on-knee hit.

I'm not even going to discuss the Kassian trade, because they are different players and both aren't very proven in the NHL.

Gillis is the best GM we've ever had, and will make the right choice when it comes to Luongo

Archived