212 replies to this topic

#31 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Though I think he's doing an ok job, the table was pretty well set for him before he got here, and he hasn't done a whole lot to improve on that.

Burke/Nonis
Sedins
Kesler
hansen
Burrows
raymond
Edler
Schneider
Luongo
Bieksa

MG
Hamhuis
Ballard
Malhotra
Higgins
Booth
Barker
Vandermeer
Kassian
Schroeder
Ebbett
Lapierre
Volpatti
Weise
Alberts
Garrison

It can easily be argued that this is still, primarily, Nonis and Burke's team and that Gilli's only major contribution that have worked out have been Hamhuis, Lapierre, Higgins and, to some degree, Malhotra

its about keeping status quo

#32 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,108 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Okay, not even going to get into the Cody Hodgson thing. You obviously are short on hockey knowledge, give it a year or two here and see what happens. Make the comparison then, now it's just stupid and pointless.

This just in: GRABNER SUCKS !!! You obviously have no idea how to rate talent or understand how defence works so I'll leave it at that. Anyone that knows anything about managing a team can re-iterate why and when he was let go when he was. Many factors invovled. It was definitely the right move as we would have lost him anyway.

Booth is definitely still a top 6 player and you would have seen the numbers had he not gotten his knee cut out from under him in a dirty hit.

The one thing you got right is we desperately need a bonifide top 2 RW to play on the second line. However, they don't grow on trees and they are hard to trade for. I disagree with MG's moneyball vs skill approach but that's just opinion vs opinion. The one bonus I see in this approach is that we can have injury after injury occur and we still field a a competitive team that's hard to play against. Our team after 4 injuries is equivalent to most teams after 1.

He is not on thin ice. Who's going to replace him. Arniel? Burke?

He was handed arguably the two most complete players in the NHL the paSt five years ... and certainly the most complete players in the history of Vancouver. (Sedins)

And the best or second best only to lundqvist goalie in the league the past 5 years.

He also retained those two most complete players when they were 75% out the door.

Edited by Dogbyte, 17 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#33 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

"2 very good players in Grabner and COHO"

If you truly believe that, then anything else you ever post is suspect.

#34 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,850 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Only Katie Couric gets to dictate what is on thin ice or not....

The idea that Gillis just inherited a great team is silly. We were terrible before the team was sold and the new owners tossed out Nonis and his master plan to win a cup building a team around Fabian Brunnstrom. The supporting additions that Gillis has brought in has transformed the team from basement trappers to a contender.

Now if we start to have losing seasons and Gillis can't do anything to fix it, then his job should be revisited, of course, but calling for his head now makes no sense and seems trying to hard to be negative.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#35 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Perhaps mg should check out your be a GM roster on nhl13 ?

Posted Image

#36 I Got A Boy

I Got A Boy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

"2 very good players in Grabner and COHO"

If you truly believe that, then anything else you ever post is suspect.

i wanna take him for therapy

#37 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

Okay, not even going to get into the Cody Hodgson thing. You're obviously are short on hockey knowledge, give it a year or two here and see what happens. Make the comparison then, now it's just stupid and pointless.

This just in: GRABNER SUCKS !!! You obviously have no idea how to rate talent or understand how defence works so I'll leave it at that. Anyone that knows anything about managing a team can re-iterate why and when he was let go when he was. Many factors invovled. It was definitely the right move as we would have lost him anyway.

Booth is definitely still a top 6 player and you would have seen the numbers had he not gotten his knee cut out from under him in a dirty hit.

The one thing you got right is we desperately need a bonifide top 2 RW to play on the second line. However, they don't grow on trees and they are hard to trade for. I disagree with MG's moneyball vs skill approach but that's just opinion vs opinion. The one bonus I see in this approach is that we can have injury after injury occur and we still field a a competitive team that's hard to play against. Our team after 4 injuries is equivalent to most teams after 1.

He is not on thin ice. Who's going to replace him. Arniel? Burke?

He also retained those two most complete players when they were 75% out the door.

The only reason they were 75% out the door was because he was incompetent. He has Burke and nonis to thank for his job and his gm of the year awars

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#38 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

He was handed arguably the two most complete players in the NHL the paSt five years ... and certainly the most complete players in the history of Vancouver. (Sedins)

And the best or second best only to lundqvist goalie in the league the past 5 years.

3 players alone wont do that. he has done a good job creating a supporting cast, a winning environment and class A organization. even if he was handed good players, he was able to keep them, which is a plus.

#39 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Gillis was brought in during a time that this team wasn't in a rebuilding mode. It already had solid pieces in place. So to say that he shouldn't get credit because he didn't draft or sign all the players in the lineup is silly. He still has overhauled over 50% of this team in the last 5 years

He basically took a team that was already good, and made them great. Something that Nonis couldn't get done here; which is why he was canned.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#40 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

In order to get a top 6 forward you have to have the cap room to do the deal. You also have to obtain a top 6 player who really wants to come to Vancouver. A lot of players want to stay in the east where there is less travel and cheaper taxes.
Coho did not want to be in Vancouver and Grabner was not good enough or big enough (plus unproven) to take one of the top 6 forwards spots. Yes he is top 6 now but on a much weaker team.
MG has not done everything perfect but he has done much more stuff right than wrong.

#41 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,098 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Grabner had a glimps of success in Vancouver, but look at the ice time he gets in Long Island. Let's see what Grabner does if he ever gets in the playoffs for them. I would bet he would easily be shut down.
Posted Image

#42 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

he has to be one of the best gm's this team has had. he brings allot of stability. as for the louie trade he will never make everyone happy also his scouts and coaches would also be in on whats best for the team. the simple fact he hasn't panicked and sent him off for scraps speaks volumes to how he's trying to bring the best package back. the problem is like Nash theres a limited market of teams that need and can afford louie.not to mention louie's nmc.
realistically a top six forward and a prospect are all i see coming back.

how soon we forget ....by the time Nonis was done with this team he had AV playing the TRAP he missed the playoffs let jovo walk for NOTHING and filled the team with plugs isbister richie pyatt carney winrich 3 seasons van went from being a force to a joke under Nonis he will forever be brian burkes coat tails.

Edited by combover, 17 January 2013 - 01:57 PM.

my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#43 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

The Sedins and Kesler credit their star-level emergence, in part, to Mats Sundin (a Gillis move). Not to mention, Gillis re-seigned all three of these players to great contracts, allowing him to bring in some solid key pieces like Hamhuis, Ehrhoff, Malhotra, and now Garrison, along with some great depth players. He addressed this team's needs, unlike Burke and Nonis (one wouldn't trade for a goaltender, the other brought in garbage "depth").

And not to nitpick and knock the Sedins, who I love and are still amazing players, but they are nowhere near the most "complete" players in the NHL. They're offensive dynamos but they're not complete. Crosby, Giroux, Toews, and Datsyuk are complete.

Edited by nowhereman, 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Posted Image

#44 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,732 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Nitwit=Nucknit's twin.

#45 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Hamhuis n garrison wanted to play for their home team... its not like he made a tradr. MG is extremely over rated and should have been canned after our playoff exit. Either him or AV. Instead our best player in the series took the blame and got benched(Luongo).

Mg has made too many bad decisions. Hope he's gone ASAP Unless he can get an elite player in return for Luongo he should be fired.

My brain hurts.

105uyog.jpg

Thanks to KhalifaWiz for the incredible sig!

#46 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Gillis is just as over rated as Brian Burke when he took over the ducks. Ducks already had the pieces in place to win the cup.. burky made a couple deals and was hailed as all mighty.

Same as mg... except his team didn't win the cup. All theessential pieces where in place for mg to succeed

I like MG, but I think this is a very valid comparison. The core of the team was put together by Burkie and Nonis and while MG has brought in some good players as well, one could argue these home grown boys wanted to play here anyways. The majority of MG's moves have been on the fringes of the lineup and many of them haven't panned out. Having said this, he's been very adept at signing core players for reasonable cap hits and terms (Lui the exception on the term side obviously) and he's done a good job of selling the vision of the team. I love all the effort he's put into making Van a desirable place to play with the training facilities at the Rog, sleep doctors...etc.

Is MG overrated? I don't know. But I think the MG era will likely be defined by what he gets in the deal for Lui.

Edited by MJDDawg, 17 January 2013 - 03:33 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#47 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Gillis was brought in during a time that this team wasn't in a rebuilding mode. It already had solid pieces in place. So to say that he shouldn't get credit because he didn't draft or sign all the players in the lineup is silly. He still has overhauled over 50% of this team in the last 5 years

He basically took a team that was already good, and made them great. Something that Nonis couldn't get done here; which is why he was canned.

I agree, but you can also make the argument that he really hasn't done much to really put them over the top. During their playoff run, other than Hamhuis, it was all Nonis/Burke guys. Again, I think he's done an average job, and I don't see anything he's done, or not done, that would warrant firing him.........that said, the goalie situation will be his legacy. If he doesn't handle it well, it could very well be the end of his time in Van

#48 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,303 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

I agree, but you can also make the argument that he really hasn't done much to really put them over the top. During their playoff run, other than Hamhuis, it was all Nonis/Burke guys. Again, I think he's done an average job, and I don't see anything he's done, or not done, that would warrant firing him.........that said, the goalie situation will be his legacy. If he doesn't handle it well, it could very well be the end of his time in Van

Other than the fact that he's managed the cap masterfully over the last couple seasons. Basically the reason we have two presidents trophies.

Ehrhoff was a pretty important addition to our run was he not? Not to mention Torres, Higgins, and Lapierre who all scored huge goals throughout the run.

He's also the one that went out and got Sundin and Demitra for the second line, which ultimtely allowed Kesler to raise his game to another level. He was nothing more than a third line checker before that.

He's done alot of great things that some fans either ignore, or they aren't even aware of. Either way I think it's safe to say his job is safe for the forseeable future. Thankfully Canucks fans don't get their way, otherwise we'd have a new coach and GM every season.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#49 sharnhayre

sharnhayre

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,615 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Results since Gillis took over:

Year 1: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in 2nd round
Year 2: won division, 3rd in conference, 5th overall, lost in 2nd round
Year 3: first overall, lost in finals
Year 4: first overall, lost in first round
Year 5: TBA

those are some pretty solid results, how is that thin ice? Four straight division wins, never below 7th overall, averaging a second-round playoff appearance, that is pretty solid and we've had a legit shot at the Cup, been a contender every season.

This! Gillis has been our best GM. Yes he's made some mistakes but name a GM that hasn't. A first round exit in the playoffs this year is unacceptable and somebody should pay for that..

#50 jaypee

jaypee

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

there's no point to bring "1 or 2 great players" with a crappy roster. MG has put in a cup contender for more years to come. We have one of the best line up in western conference. Skilled forwards with good & strong Ds.

Edited by jaypee, 17 January 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#51 taiwanchik

taiwanchik

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

You simply can't please everyone. The one's complaining about MG are the ones complaining when he first came on board. They are also the ones complaining about the team after both Presidents Cup seasons. They are the ones who used to call Nonis No-nuts and wanted Burke's head served on a platter. The one's who complain year after year over everything are probably the ones who never buy a ticket to watch the game at Rogers. They are also the bandwagon fans when the team does well. Just my thoughts.

#52 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Other than the fact that he's managed the cap masterfully over the last couple seasons. Basically the reason we have two presidents trophies.

Ehrhoff was a pretty important addition to our run was he not? Not to mention Torres, Higgins, and Lapierre who all scored huge goals throughout the run.

He's also the one that went out and got Sundin and Demitra for the second line, which ultimtely allowed Kesler to raise his game to another level. He was nothing more than a third line checker before that.

He's done alot of great things that some fans either ignore, or they aren't even aware of. Either way I think it's safe to say his job is safe for the forseeable future. Thankfully Canucks fans don't get their way, otherwise we'd have a new coach and GM every season.

I'm looking at the current roster.

I also don't buy into the "Sundin took Kesler's game to a new level" schtick. Kesler was at that age where a player of his calibre usually takes that next step. Not that I don't think Sundin was a positive influence on him, but I would say his year in the AHL, during the lockout, was the mitigating factor.

he and Gilman have done a good job with cap management, but no better than 75% of the league, in my opinion, and ot as good as other teams who make big moves and somehow keep their team under the cap.

I agree about Torres, but you could argue the other side of that. Everyone could see what an impact he had on a game, during the run, but MG allowed him to walk over an extra year on a deal. He tried to lowball a playr who had earned that year and it bit him hard. It's been a glaring hole in the lineup since.

#53 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,205 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

there's no point to bring "1 or 2 great players" with a crappy roster. MG has put in a cup contender for more years to come. We have one of the best line up in western conference. Skilled forwards with good & strong Ds.

isn't that kind of the myth though? Who is, ultimately responsible for those players in the lneup was the point I was making. I do agree he's done a good job of keeping those horses in the stable at a reasonable cost.

#54 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Though I think he's doing an ok job, the table was pretty well set for him before he got here, and he hasn't done a whole lot to improve on that.

Burke/Nonis
Sedins
Kesler
hansen
Burrows
raymond
Edler
Schneider
Luongo
Bieksa

MG
Hamhuis
Ballard
Malhotra
Higgins
Booth
Barker
Vandermeer
Kassian
Schroeder
Ebbett
Lapierre
Volpatti
Weise
Alberts
Garrison

It can easily be argued that this is still, primarily, Nonis and Burke's team and that Gilli's only major contribution that have worked out have been Hamhuis, Lapierre, Higgins and, to some degree, Malhotra

he also chose to resign Luongo and sedins- sedins to a bargain basement deal
he fleeced SJS for erhoff who had a career year under MG- he also let him walk

MG signed Tanev

i see your point MG has retained and successfully added to a core.

Gillis is being careful with the luongo trade because outside of a cup win, the Luongo trade will be the event Gillis' era here will be remembered for.

#55 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hamhuis n garrison wanted to play for their home team... its not like he made a tradr.

Ah yes, Hamhuis and Garrison are local guys who wanted to play for the Canucks and signed here as UFA's. Therefore Gillis is a failure, regardless of the club culture he created here, which was probably a significant part of why these two guys wanted to come here in the first place.

A guy like Schultz, who is also a local guy, had expressed an interest in signing here, but chose to go to Edmonton, and therefore Gillis is a failure.

Double standards abound.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#56 This Justin

This Justin

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

Results since Gillis took over:

Year 1: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in 2nd round
Year 2: won division, 3rd in conference, 5th overall, lost in 2nd round
Year 3: first overall, lost in finals
Year 4: first overall, lost in first round
Year 5: TBA

those are some pretty solid results, how is that thin ice? Four straight division wins, never below 7th overall, averaging a second-round playoff appearance, that is pretty solid and we've had a legit shot at the Cup, been a contender every season.

This. MG is not going anywhere. He is our Ken Holland.
Posted Image

Lets GO Canucks. Time to bring it home.

#57 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Too many newer fans on here that forget what its like to have horrible GMs.

Be thankful that we have Gillis. He's a great GM.

All Gms make mistakes. You don't fire them becuase they make one or two questionable trades. He's done enough other great things for this team that vastly outweigh those deals. His job is about as safe as they come.

They also don't remember what it is like having a bad goalie. They just don't appreciate anything.

If they were here when Nonuts was in charge, completely unable to make any deal that might help the team they would know. Aside from the Luongo deal, which took a lot of people by surprise, most of his moves were complete failures.

Noronen, Smolinski, Carney, Weinrich...drafted PATRICK WHITE in the first round.

These newer posters probably became fans in the last few years when the Canucks were strong and so they just dont understand what it was like before, going from failure to failure with bad goalies. Constant playoff collapses nowhere near what has happened in the last few years. Granted the WCE days we played exciting hockey, we did not exactly keep goals out or win with much efficiency.

The team we have had the last few years is the best overall team I have ever seen on the Canucks, and yes I'm going back to the 80's when I say that, not to 2001 or 2002. You nitwits cant completely write off signings like Hamhuis or Garrison and then pine for Burke or Nonis when their signings were more often a Jan Bulis or Brian Smolinski than a Higgins, Lappierre, Malhotra, Hamhuis, Torres, Samuelsson, Ehrhoff, Garrison, etc etc. Gillis has done a LOT here, and going into a season nowadays is to be excited for the team and not just for some Nazzy/Bert plays or an end to end rush from Bure.

We should appreciate what we have here for God's sake because this type of team is rare, and any long term Canuck fan knows that down to their bones.

#58 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

I rather he trades Schneider away

#59 nitwitt

nitwitt

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Apparently the saying "what have you done for me lately" does really hold true in sports.

Forget that he constructed one of the deepest, most statisticaly dominant teams the Canucks have ever had only two seasons ago. That means nothing now.

Bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

Are you kidding me! what has he constructed exactly, 90% of this team was in place when he took over. Look at his attempts to improve this team, the transactions he's made. Looking at the results from the past couple of years and giving MG the accolades for the teams success would truely be ignorant...
Are you a Canuck fan? Aren't you gettung sick of GM's scarred to pull the trigger on big deals, we deserve better than "stop gap" bottom 6 forwards plugged in, then sold to us as tremendous "upside" etc, etc, etc. The Sedin's have 2-3 good seasons left, we have Ryan Kesler one of the best 2 way centers, Burrows a true 2nd line player and a very deep back end with great goaltending. Our time to be a favorite team to win the Cup is diminishing, M.G. needs to hit a homerun on this one. For all of us, his team and his job.

#60 nitwitt

nitwitt

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

You simply can't please everyone. The one's complaining about MG are the ones complaining when he first came on board. They are also the ones complaining about the team after both Presidents Cup seasons. They are the ones who used to call Nonis No-nuts and wanted Burke's head served on a platter. The one's who complain year after year over everything are probably the ones who never buy a ticket to watch the game at Rogers. They are also the bandwagon fans when the team does well. Just my thoughts.

WRONG!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.