The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MG should be on thin ice...

nitwitt

he has to be one of the best gm's this team has had. he brings allot of stability. as for the louie trade he will never make everyone happy also his scouts and coaches would also be in on whats best for the team. the simple fact he hasn't panicked and sent him off for scraps speaks volumes to how he's trying to bring the best package back. the problem is like Nash theres a limited market of teams that need and can afford louie.not to mention louie's nmc.

realistically a top six forward and a prospect are all i see coming back.

how soon we forget ....by the time Nonis was done with this team he had AV playing the TRAP he missed the playoffs let jovo walk for NOTHING and filled the team with plugs isbister richie pyatt carney winrich 3 seasons van went from being a force to a joke under Nonis he will forever be brian burkes coat tails.

He was handed arguably the two most complete players in the NHL the paSt five years ... and certainly the most complete players in the history of Vancouver. (Sedins)

And the best or second best only to lundqvist goalie in the league the past 5 years.

Hamhuis n garrison wanted to play for their home team... its not like he made a tradr. MG is extremely over rated and should have been canned after our playoff exit. Either him or AV. Instead our best player in the series took the blame and got benched(Luongo).

Mg has made too many bad decisions. Hope he's gone ASAP Unless he can get an elite player in return for Luongo he should be fired.

Gillis is just as over rated as Brian Burke when he took over the ducks. Ducks already had the pieces in place to win the cup.. burky made a couple deals and was hailed as all mighty.

Same as mg... except his team didn't win the cup. All theessential pieces where in place for mg to succeed

Gillis was brought in during a time that this team wasn't in a rebuilding mode. It already had solid pieces in place. So to say that he shouldn't get credit because he didn't draft or sign all the players in the lineup is silly. He still has overhauled over 50% of this team in the last 5 years

He basically took a team that was already good, and made them great. Something that Nonis couldn't get done here; which is why he was canned.

I agree, but you can also make the argument that he really hasn't done much to really put them over the top. During their playoff run, other than Hamhuis, it was all Nonis/Burke guys. Again, I think he's done an average job, and I don't see anything he's done, or not done, that would warrant firing him.........that said, the goalie situation will be his legacy. If he doesn't handle it well, it could very well be the end of his time in Van

Results since Gillis took over:

Year 1: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 2: won division, 3rd in conference, 5th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 3: first overall, lost in finals

Year 4: first overall, lost in first round

Year 5: TBA

those are some pretty solid results, how is that thin ice? Four straight division wins, never below 7th overall, averaging a second-round playoff appearance, that is pretty solid and we've had a legit shot at the Cup, been a contender every season.

I agree, but you can also make the argument that he really hasn't done much to really put them over the top. During their playoff run, other than Hamhuis, it was all Nonis/Burke guys. Again, I think he's done an average job, and I don't see anything he's done, or not done, that would warrant firing him.........that said, the goalie situation will be his legacy. If he doesn't handle it well, it could very well be the end of his time in Van

You simply can't please everyone. The one's complaining about MG are the ones complaining when he first came on board. They are also the ones complaining about the team after both Presidents Cup seasons. They are the ones who used to call Nonis No-nuts and wanted Burke's head served on a platter. The one's who complain year after year over everything are probably the ones who never buy a ticket to watch the game at Rogers. They are also the bandwagon fans when the team does well. Just my thoughts.

Other than the fact that he's managed the cap masterfully over the last couple seasons. Basically the reason we have two presidents trophies.

Ehrhoff was a pretty important addition to our run was he not? Not to mention Torres, Higgins, and Lapierre who all scored huge goals throughout the run.

He's also the one that went out and got Sundin and Demitra for the second line, which ultimtely allowed Kesler to raise his game to another level. He was nothing more than a third line checker before that.

He's done alot of great things that some fans either ignore, or they aren't even aware of. Either way I think it's safe to say his job is safe for the forseeable future. Thankfully Canucks fans don't get their way, otherwise we'd have a new coach and GM every season.

Though I think he's doing an ok job, the table was pretty well set for him before he got here, and he hasn't done a whole lot to improve on that.

Burke/Nonis

Sedins

Kesler

hansen

Burrows

raymond

Edler

Schneider

Luongo

Bieksa

MG

Hamhuis

Ballard

Malhotra

Higgins

Booth

Barker

Vandermeer

Kassian

Schroeder

Ebbett

Lapierre

Volpatti

Weise

Alberts

Garrison

It can easily be argued that this is still, primarily, Nonis and Burke's team and that Gilli's only major contribution that have worked out have been Hamhuis, Lapierre, Higgins and, to some degree, Malhotra

Results since Gillis took over:

Year 1: won division, 3rd in conference, 7th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 2: won division, 3rd in conference, 5th overall, lost in 2nd round

Year 3: first overall, lost in finals

Year 4: first overall, lost in first round

Year 5: TBA

those are some pretty solid results, how is that thin ice? Four straight division wins, never below 7th overall, averaging a second-round playoff appearance, that is pretty solid and we've had a legit shot at the Cup, been a contender every season.

Too many newer fans on here that forget what its like to have horrible GMs.

Be thankful that we have Gillis. He's a great GM.

All Gms make mistakes. You don't fire them becuase they make one or two questionable trades. He's done enough other great things for this team that vastly outweigh those deals. His job is about as safe as they come.

Apparently the saying "what have you done for me lately" does really hold true in sports.

Forget that he constructed one of the deepest, most statisticaly dominant teams the Canucks have ever had only two seasons ago. That means nothing now.

Bunch of ungrateful ingrates.

You simply can't please everyone. The one's complaining about MG are the ones complaining when he first came on board. They are also the ones complaining about the team after both Presidents Cup seasons. They are the ones who used to call Nonis No-nuts and wanted Burke's head served on a platter. The one's who complain year after year over everything are probably the ones who never buy a ticket to watch the game at Rogers. They are also the bandwagon fans when the team does well. Just my thoughts.

Archived