The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not Many Line-Up Questions Left

JamesB

Based on the line-up for tonight's scrimmage and various other pieces of information the line-up for the weekend looks set. Here are some grades and comments.

1st line. Sedins w/ Burrows: A+

Statistically (points or +/-) the best line in the NHL over the past 3 seasons. Will be among the top three again this year.

2nd line. Ebbett will get the call between Raymond and Kassian: B-.

Not as bad a line as people think, Kassian is a year younger than Hodgson and I would say he is on as good a trajectory as Hodgson. He has good skills -- passing and shooting and he is big, strong and physical.

3rd line. Lappy between Higgins and Hansen: A-

One of the best 3rd lines in the league. Can play shutdown and can score.

4th line. Malhotra between Weiss and Volpatti/Vandermeer: B

Not bad for a 4th line. Some skill, good energy, some toughness, won't hurt the team

Defense:

Top 4: Hammer/Bieksa and Edler/Garrison: A

No Norris candidates but possibly the best top 4 in the league. (Look at the numbers -- could lead the NHL in scoring and +/- for a top 4).

3rd pairing: Tanev and Ballard: B

Not bad for a 3rd pairing

Depth D: Alberts and Barker

Pretty good for depth.

Schneider is #1 and Luongo will stay: A. Best combo in the league

Everyone in the 23 man roster will play on the weekend. Overall the Canucks will win the Division and contend for President's trophy again.

I agree with Pablo about the second line. It will not inspire fear in anyone. The problem is not with Kassian. It is not even with Raymond -- I hope that he has a return to form this season. But Ebbett is not a decent second line center even in the AHL. Let's hope that MG lands a good center soon in return for Luongo. Even when Kesler is back, Lappy is better as a four line center.

You're really being a harda$$

1st line: A+ one of the best lines in the NHL today

2nd line: C+ Not that bad, I have faith our players can step it up and play well here

3rd line: A

4th line: B

top 4: A+ (possibly the best in the league, every player within the top 4 is capable of 30+ pts and great +/- #'s

Bottom 6: B, it's now a lot better with Vandermeer as added depth

Goalies: A+, best tandem in the league

Ebbett is on form. This matters more than skill to a certain extent, given that Ebbett is neither a rookie nor stone-handed.

He has been plagued with injuries despite playing well. He isn't guaranteed the job if he doesn't produce well. He knows all this well, is motivated, and is in good form. I do think we might have some good secondary scoring from the 2nd line (assuming these are set), against passive or smaller teams. I don't see that 2nd line doing that much against a Boston-type team though.

I also agree with Pablo's grading.

Based simply on how they are now, their past history and a tiny bit of conservative improvement.

I don't think we can assume that any players will either explode for career highs or implode and do terrible. They are possible, but you cannot set grades based on a belief that those extreme, unpredictable cases will happen THIS season.

Considering the 2 big injuries, a good line up with a satisfactory second line.

I must say that Wiese must be tougher this year and must win more fights. Its fine to stand up for your team but when you continually get the crap kicked out of you it's not much of a deterant. Hopefully he has a short leash. I wouldn't mind seeing Vandermer - Malhorta - Volpatti.

Wow!, hands up anyone who thinks that this edition is any better than last years ( even w/ Kes in the line up) Comeon, Comeon show ur hands?

What is different, what additions make us better? Ebett, on his best day couldn't make Anaheim and now people talk like he's the 2nd coming of Brendan Morrison, God we suck, 1 line and 3 -3rd lines I think somebody said. Lame GMMG had 7 monhs + to get us something and here we are. Listen to all the sports talk, we are the goals goning to come from?, What is on the farm team ranked 26 /30?

Yikes !

Wow!, hands up anyone who thinks that this edition is any better than last years ( even w/ Kes in the line up) Comeon, Comeon show ur hands?

What is different, what additions make us better? Ebett, on his best day couldn't make Anaheim and now people talk like he's the 2nd coming of Brendan Morrison, God we suck, 1 line and 3 -3rd lines I think somebody said. Lame GMMG had 7 monhs + to get us something and here we are. Listen to all the sports talk, we are the goals goning to come from?, What is on the farm team ranked 26 /30?

Yikes !

You have to give to get. what would you give up for a better second line?

Without Raymon/Ballard because they have little percieved value and wont get 2nd line material. And as far as Lui, I'm sure if GMMG could get value for him the deal would be done.

So who goes? For what?

The only real questions will be what if anything you get for Lou. Could still sign a free agent but I would expect Gillis will hold off until trade deadline.

What you see is what you get hopefully Kesler won't be out to long and all this doom and gloom can end.

As long as special teams play well we should be fine.

Archived