The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Not Many Line-Up Questions Left

JamesB

Wow!, hands up anyone who thinks that this edition is any better than last years ( even w/ Kes in the line up) Comeon, Comeon show ur hands?

What is different, what additions make us better? Ebett, on his best day couldn't make Anaheim and now people talk like he's the 2nd coming of Brendan Morrison, God we suck, 1 line and 3 -3rd lines I think somebody said. Lame GMMG had 7 monhs + to get us something and here we are. Listen to all the sports talk, we are the goals goning to come from?, What is on the farm team ranked 26 /30?

Yikes !

Good job and well thought out,OP.

I would just switch 2 with 3 as Lappy has 227 lbs of muscle and Higgy and Hansen are far more superior and experienced than Kassian and Raymond.

2nd line. Lappy between Higgins and Hansen: A-

Can play shutdown and can score.

3rd line. Ebbett will get the call between Raymond and Kassian: B-.

Not as bad a line as people think, Kassian is a year younger than Hodgson and I would say he is on as good a trajectory as Hodgson. He has good skills -- passing and shooting and he is big, strong and physical.

Ebbett was good when he was healthy last season, showed he can contribute on offense. Hopefully Raymond is healthy as well and can get back into form with this opportunity. I like the optimism from this prediction, are you sure you are on the right website though? I thought CDC was for irrationally slagging everyone and demanded they be traded/fired.

I agree with Pablo about the second line. It will not inspire fear in anyone. The problem is not with Kassian. It is not even with Raymond -- I hope that he has a return to form this season. But Ebbett is not a decent second line center even in the AHL. Let's hope that MG lands a good center soon in return for Luongo. Even when Kesler is back, Lappy is better as a four line center.

After tonight I think the edge for the 2nd line is in Schroeder favour, perhaps you jumped the gun saying Ebbett locked it down, my ratings:

1st Line: A+ (Daniel - Henrik - Burrows)

- Not much need's top be said, the best line in the league IMO.

2nd Line: C (Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian)

- After seeing their game tonight I am alot more optimistic than before, Schroeder & Raymond have nice Chemistry, Kass brings an interesting Dynamic to the line.

3rd Line: A- (Higgins - Lappy - Hansen)

- A very good third line, brings everything and will be replied on big time off the start

4th Line + Depth: B- (Volpatti - Manny - Weise) + (Pinnizzotto, Volpatti, Sweatt, Ebbett)

- Not the greatest 4th line but Weise and Manny will be better than last year, not sure what to expect but I like Manny and Weise, we have some decent depth guys, would like us to add Langkow or pick up Connolly and/or Santorelli on waiver though.

1st Pair: A (Hammer - Bieksa)

- Hammer is really the key to our defense and Bieksa looked great in the Scrimmage, really a great pair

2nd Pair: A (Garrison - Edler)

- This is just another 1st pair IMO, Garrison is so impressive (just as good if not better than Bieksa IMO), and we know how good Edler is. Love the Garrison addition, this will be a solid pair.

3rd Pair: B+ (Ballard - Tanev)

- I really like this pair, Ballard get's unfairly trashed on, but he looked really good tonight IMO, this pair is capable of being a 2nd pair (both can play in the top 4 if needed) and the chemistry between the 2 on this pair makes them both better and adds a ton of reliability to the defense core. Possibly the best 3rd pair in the league/

Depth: B (Barker, Alberts, Vandermeer)

- Like the depth additions, we have some toughness with Vandermeer, size in Alberts and puck moving/offensive ability in Barker, any type of player we need we have, it's a like a tool box with every tool in it.

Goaltending: A+ (Cory Schneider, Roberto Luongo)

- The best tandem in the league currently, I'm confident in either of them, both give us an excellent chance to win.

Totally agree with the lines you made.

We need the chemistry on the 1st, 3rd and 4th - don't split them up (in the beginning of the season).

And we also need another veteran on this weak 2nd line in Ebbett. Kassian may not be most improved but he is tough hopefully he is good enough to slot in the 1st or 3rd line to move Burrows or Hansen to make the second better the season goes on.

PS we will buy out Luongo (in the summer) and make room for Edler and maybe another FA....?

As far as the second line goes, it'll probably be Ebbetts ahead of Schroeder. The hints that AV/MG have been dropping about the short season limiting the team's opportunities to experiment leads me to think that AV (in particular) would have a higher level of comfort with Ebbett than Schroeder.

With that in mind, I don't see any distinction between the second and third lines...it's more like we have a line 1 (Sedins/Burrows), and lines 3A, 3B and fourth line. Henrik's line will probably end up playing 23 minutes a game, and lines 3A/3B will probably play 15 minutes each. If Daniel, Henrik and Burrows ends up taking a bunch of minor penalties, we are going to be hooped. We will be more dependent on the defence to generate offensive plays than ever.

For anyone who attended the scrimmages, was there indication that AV is going to employ the trap? The scores in the two scrmmages woud suggest that they were trapping. As mentioned by someone, we'll probably end up seeing this brand of hockey for the first month...yawn.

Totally agree with the lines you made.

We need the chemistry on the 1st, 3rd and 4th - don't split them up (in the beginning of the season).

And we also need another veteran on this weak 2nd line in Ebbett. Kassian may not be most improved but he is tough hopefully he is good enough to slot in the 1st or 3rd line to move Burrows or Hansen to make the second better the season goes on.

PS we will buy out Luongo (in the summer) and make room for Edler and maybe another FA....?

After watching the scrimmage last night, I expect this on Saturday:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian

Weise - Malhotra - Ebbett

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Luongo

Sedins will play around 18-19 minutes, 2nd line and 3rd line split the time perfectly, around 16 minutes each, last line plays just around 10 minutes.

Top 4 defencemen all play around 22 minutes, bottom pairing plays around 16-18 minutes.

I agree that there are not many questions left. The Sedins and Burrows as the top line is agiven and I think the 2nd line (2nd scoring line, maybe not the 2nd line in terms of TOI) has been decided with the play of the Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian line in tonight's scrimmage. As for the bottom 6, we know that Higgins and Hansen work well together and so do Malhotra and Weise. Basically, the only spots up for debate are the 3rd line center spot and the 4th line left wing spot. The 3rd line center spot is a question only because Lapierre hasn't looked that great but he's really the only option for the spot at the moment so it's moot point. That leaves the 4th line LW spot, which I think is open to Darren Archibald, Aaron Volpatti or Andrew Ebbett.

The defense is set. Absolutely no questions there. The Garrison - Edler pairing has been dynamite in camp, the Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing has already been established and Ballard and Tanev have seemed perfect together since last year.

As for goaltending, the only question is how many games will both Schneider and Luongo get? Will Schneider get the lion's share of the games like a normal #1 or while Luongo is here will there be a platoon, like last year?

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

_______ - Malhotra - Weise

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Luongo

Ebbett should not be second line center. He plays best as a grinder getting points by going to the net. Schroeder is a play maker and Raymond has never played with a playmaker only other shooters. Look what happened tonight when someone was passing him the puck in good areas... I know it's just a scrimmage, but with Kassian in front of the net and schroeder making plays to raymond this line could be quite effective skill wise. They are fast so the back check is good, but I'm worried if teams will force them to dump the puck in as they have almost no board presence.. sept kass. If we want Kass and Raymond to have decent numbers we have to play them with schroeder. Ebbett will put up a few numbers, but mainly grind it out goals... We have enough grinders give the young gun a chance he makes smart plays and is responsible defensively :D SOLID LINE!

Schroeder = Let's see what happens...

Ebbett= I wish Kesler was back...

There are styles of games where Ebbett can play better the JS, but JS can work the 2nd PP which is way more important as we struggle at times with 5v5 goals and then swap to a awful PP :(

JS can play at this level the physical side isn't there yet, but he will learn what he can and cannot get away with on the ice

Archived