Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Man discovers secret to zero-hour work week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Grapefruits

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

Programmer outsourced his job to China to watch cat videos

Brandon Miller, January 17, 2013 9:28:47 AM

A high-paid programmer was recently revealed to have been outsourcing all of his job duties to a firm in China. The tale of “Bob” is making the rounds after being posted on telecom firm Verizon Enterprise Solutions’ website. From a technical standpoint, it’s not overly surprising that an esteemed developer can so easily scam his employer. He should know how to clean up his tracks, right?

But the fact that no coworker raised an eyebrow about Bob’s abilities – even though he was regarded as his company’s best developer, was praised left and right, and raked in a very high income – that’s odd. Where were all of the catty, jealous trolls that exist in so many of our workplaces? I’d like to think that somebody in my office would notice if I sat at my desk watching cat videos all day. That’s what Bob did.

Bob was making over $250,000 a year to do his job, but covertly paying a Chinese firm $50,000 to perform all of his tasks for him. His employers had no idea until they started cracking down on security breaches. Over a two-year period, the company had seen an increase in telecommuting. To log onto the system from home, employees needed a PIN that was regularly changing. Bob simply mailed his off to China.

No one noticed until the IT department started closely monitoring remote access, and found that someone was logging in from China. Not having any employees in the city of Shenyang, they obviously had a problem. Luckily, they could see that this person was using Bob’s login information.

But here’s where it gets even funnier (to me, at least!). Bob was sitting at his desk the entire time
watching cat videos and using Facebook, Reddit, eBay, and LinkedIn all day long. He wasn’t even working remotely. He even sent five o’clock e-mails to management every night to update them on his work. It all seems like a lot of effort to put in to avoid working. The money was good, sure, but maybe Bob should have found something he liked doing more, like producing videos of cats yawning.

Bob got stellar performance reviews because, obviously, someone was paying close attention to his work. And despite what I said above about a computer guy being able to hide his digital tracks, Bob didn’t even do a good job of clearing the trail. When Verizon investigators searched his workstation, they found hundreds of invoices from the developer in Shenyang.

What do you think of Bob’s story? Could something like this happen at your workplace?

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 17 January 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#2 nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,145 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

Jacks will only continue to grow before you have Surrey and Abbosford turn into a mini Compton with indians. 

#3 NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,684 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Is 50k worth a lot to someone in China?

#4 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 January 2013 - 10:19 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#5 DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,001 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I outsourced my CDC posting to China.

So far everything is going god.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#6 Grapefruits

• Members
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

The search engine is your friend...

Damn! My bad. Usually search, didn't this time and got burned...

I outsourced my CDC posting to China.

So far everything is going god.

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 17 January 2013 - 10:20 PM.

#7 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Do people actually use LinkedIN to meet people?

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#8 Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

My current event today in Socials..... 5/5 ;)
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:

#9 Dazzle

The Snazzle Wristshot

• Members
  • 10,258 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I would have worked really hard for that company, especially with that insane amount of pay.

What an ungrateful biatch.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.