The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 Goaltenders

Drew1

1. Henrik Lundqvist. Model of consistency and continual elite play in every stage.

2. Jonathan Quick. After the year he just had, he has to be #2 at least.

3. Pekka Rinne. A workhorse in Nashville that puts the team into the postseason.

4. Carey Price. Oozing with raw talent, the backbone of the Canadiens team.

5. Roberto Luongo. Fading a little, but has been consistently one of the best goalies in the league for the past decade.

6. Ryan Miller. Had a playing peak as elite as Jonathan Quick. Has cooled off a little, but talent that great doesn't fade away forever.

7. Cam Ward. Another model of consistency, reliable, solid.

8. Cory Schneider. Has shown flashes of brilliance, and has not looked to slow down, but needs to prove more at the NHL level to take what seems to be his true place higher up the list.

9. Tuukka Rask. Like Schneider, has shown flashes of brilliance, but has also shown he can play poorly for extended periods of time. With some consistency he could be higher.

10. Niklas Backstrom. Left out to dry by a hapless Minnesota franchise - would be a Vezina hopeful in a bigger market.

Others:

Kari Lehtonen. Feels like he should be in the top ten, but gets pushed to 11th. Still a solid goalie and would be the #1 on most teams without question.

Jimmy Howard. Solid goalie but I'm not convinced that Lidstrom hasn't made his job a bit too easy up to this point.

Mike Smith. A product of Dave Tippett's coaching, same as Bryzgalov and Turco before him.

Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliott. Same as above, but replace Dave Tippett with Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is the guy who made Steve Mason into a Hart finalist.

Marc-Andre Fleury. Simply an above average starter.

Semyon Varlamov. Has the skills to be a bona fide #1 but needs to show more.

Miller the 2nd best goalie in the NHL? What fantasy land do you live in? Yes he's good but he got destroyed the last couple years. And yeah, he's on an awful team, but I don't pretend to know how good he 'would've been' behind an elite team. It's impossible to know for sure. I think he's top 10 on a good team though, don't get me wrong.

We've got:

Quick,

Lundqvist

Rinne

Smith

Schneider

Kipper

Elliot

Halak

Price

Luongo

I think a year or two ago Tim Thomas was top 3 as well, but I excluded him from the list since he's on hiatus.

PS: I think I should explain why I have the Blues goalies so low. I think they benefited from a team that is extremely focused on defence first, and giving the other team as few offensive opportunities as possible. I think the Blues goalies played behind the finest defensive system in the league last season, so that's why I don't think they were top 5 goalies necessarily--although they were pretty sweet.

1. Henrik Lundqvist. Model of consistency and continual elite play in every stage.

3. Pekka Rinne. A workhorse in Nashville that puts the team into the postseason.

5. Roberto Luongo. Fading a little, but has been consistently one of the best goalies in the league for the past decade.

6. Ryan Miller. Had a playing peak as elite as Jonathan Quick. Has cooled off a little, but talent that great doesn't fade away forever.

8. Cory Schneider. Has shown flashes of brilliance, and has not looked to slow down, but needs to prove more at the NHL level to take what seems to be his true place higher up the list.

9. Tuukka Rask. Like Schneider, has shown flashes of brilliance, but has also shown he can play poorly for extended periods of time. With some consistency he could be higher.

10. Niklas Backstrom. Left out to dry by a hapless Minnesota franchise - would be a Vezina hopeful in a bigger market.

Others:

Kari Lehtonen. Feels like he should be in the top ten, but gets pushed to 11th. Still a solid goalie and would be the #1 on most teams without question.

Jimmy Howard. Solid goalie but I'm not convinced that Lidstrom hasn't made his job a bit too easy up to this point.

Mike Smith. A product of Dave Tippett's coaching, same as Bryzgalov and Turco before him.

Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliott. Same as above, but replace Dave Tippett with Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is the guy who made Steve Mason into a Hart finalist.

Others:

ok.. putting Cory in the top 10 NOW is a bit of a reach mostly because he hasn't even been the "starting goalie" for the 'Nucks (having the job of #1 goalie.) So he falls into the prospect/possible bucket still. Once he plays #1 goalie games and shows he can deal with that pressure consistently (not including filling in due to injury) as well as the playoff pressure, then we can see where he rates compared to everyone else. Till then, he's just the "top back-up" in the league.

Others:

Archived