Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Top 10 Goaltenders

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#31 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

1. Henrik Lundqvist. Model of consistency and continual elite play in every stage.
2. Jonathan Quick. After the year he just had, he has to be #2 at least.
3. Pekka Rinne. A workhorse in Nashville that puts the team into the postseason.
4. Carey Price. Oozing with raw talent, the backbone of the Canadiens team.
5. Roberto Luongo. Fading a little, but has been consistently one of the best goalies in the league for the past decade.
6. Ryan Miller. Had a playing peak as elite as Jonathan Quick. Has cooled off a little, but talent that great doesn't fade away forever.
7. Cam Ward. Another model of consistency, reliable, solid.
8. Cory Schneider. Has shown flashes of brilliance, and has not looked to slow down, but needs to prove more at the NHL level to take what seems to be his true place higher up the list.
9. Tuukka Rask. Like Schneider, has shown flashes of brilliance, but has also shown he can play poorly for extended periods of time. With some consistency he could be higher.
10. Niklas Backstrom. Left out to dry by a hapless Minnesota franchise - would be a Vezina hopeful in a bigger market.

Others:
Kari Lehtonen. Feels like he should be in the top ten, but gets pushed to 11th. Still a solid goalie and would be the #1 on most teams without question.
Jimmy Howard. Solid goalie but I'm not convinced that Lidstrom hasn't made his job a bit too easy up to this point.
Mike Smith. A product of Dave Tippett's coaching, same as Bryzgalov and Turco before him.
Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliott. Same as above, but replace Dave Tippett with Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is the guy who made Steve Mason into a Hart finalist.
Marc-Andre Fleury. Simply an above average starter.
Semyon Varlamov. Has the skills to be a bona fide #1 but needs to show more.

Interesting list and well explained. I like that you acknowleged Lehtonen and Backstrom . Rinne is one of the reasons for the success of the Preds for sure, but having that defence in front of him didnt hurt his game at all. I would put Luongo just above him for having similar stats, but for a longer period of time. Its a toss up really. I would not put Price above Luongo by any stretch though, and Im not sure how you dont have Kipper in there.

#32 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Do you think Schneider has a chance to challenge Quick for the US starting job at the Olympics next year?

Going on their body of work thus far, I'd say give em a training camp but lean heavily towards Quick (for obvious reasons). But since that is next year and we do have a season ahead of us to further prove Schneider's talent, consistency, etc, we'll know better at the end of this season. As of right now, I think Quick deserves the nod personally, with Miller getting the backup role. Schneider might be third.

#33 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

1.Lunqvist
2. Quik
3.Rinne
4. Schneider
5.Miller
6. Price
7. Rask
8. Fleury
9. Luongo
10. Halak

#34 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Do you think Schneider has a chance to challenge Quick for the US starting job at the Olympics next year?

I think so

Posted Image

#35 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

1. Henrik Lundqvist. Model of consistency and continual elite play in every stage.
3. Pekka Rinne. A workhorse in Nashville that puts the team into the postseason.
5. Roberto Luongo. Fading a little, but has been consistently one of the best goalies in the league for the past decade.
6. Ryan Miller. Had a playing peak as elite as Jonathan Quick. Has cooled off a little, but talent that great doesn't fade away forever.
8. Cory Schneider. Has shown flashes of brilliance, and has not looked to slow down, but needs to prove more at the NHL level to take what seems to be his true place higher up the list.
9. Tuukka Rask. Like Schneider, has shown flashes of brilliance, but has also shown he can play poorly for extended periods of time. With some consistency he could be higher.
10. Niklas Backstrom. Left out to dry by a hapless Minnesota franchise - would be a Vezina hopeful in a bigger market.

Others:
Kari Lehtonen. Feels like he should be in the top ten, but gets pushed to 11th. Still a solid goalie and would be the #1 on most teams without question.
Jimmy Howard. Solid goalie but I'm not convinced that Lidstrom hasn't made his job a bit too easy up to this point.
Mike Smith. A product of Dave Tippett's coaching, same as Bryzgalov and Turco before him.
Jaroslav Halak, Brian Elliott. Same as above, but replace Dave Tippett with Ken Hitchcock. Hitch is the guy who made Steve Mason into a Hart finalist.

excellent list. Switch ward and LU tho

#36 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

ok.. putting Cory in the top 10 NOW is a bit of a reach mostly because he hasn't even been the "starting goalie" for the 'Nucks (having the job of #1 goalie.) So he falls into the prospect/possible bucket still. Once he plays #1 goalie games and shows he can deal with that pressure consistently (not including filling in due to injury) as well as the playoff pressure, then we can see where he rates compared to everyone else. Till then, he's just the "top back-up" in the league.

#37 Master Mind

Master Mind

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

Btw did anyone actually watch / follow Mike Smith last year? He was in the top 5 easily and put on some ridiculous performances, I feel he's harshly being underrated on this thread.

I felt that Smith should have been a vezina nominee last year, but yes most people do underrate him. Most people underrate Phoenix every year yet they always manage to exceed expectations.

I would be pleased as punch if you pressed this green button.

1zx175v.jpg

small.pngCDCP - New York Rangers

#38 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,310 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

After Lundqvist this is the worst list I`ve ever seen.

... as always, you add nothing to the discussion other than making critical remarks about posts.

Didn't catch your top 10 list... I can pro-actively say that it would be the worst list any of us have ever seen.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#39 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Others:

1. Henrik Lundqvist. 100% Agree and most in the NHL would too..
2. Jonathan Quick. Yup fair argument
3. Pekka Rinne. Agree.
4. Carey Price. Uh huh..yup

This is where we diverge

5. Miller - As for Luongo. Not top 5 anymore. I'll give you top 10 but not here. I think Miller has to be here - his team is the problem.
6. Ward
7. Schnieder - only bec he still has to prove consistency, I'm sure he will but all those above have already
8. Fleury - bad playoffs but the guy is lights out one of the best when he's on, last year was an off year.
9. Luongo
10. Backstrom

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 19 January 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#40 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Really miller that far down. he's gotta be 2/3
id go
Rinne
Miller
Lundqvist
Quick
Price
Luongo
Schnider
Kipper
Halak
on the bubble Smith, Ward, Hiller

Luongo couldn't carry Smiths hockey bag !

#41 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Others:

Sorry, but Mike Smith carried the Coyotes all season,and it was NOT because of Tippetts system. Only 2 teams in NHL gave up more shots per game than Phoenix and Mike Smith won the Phoenix 3 star ratings there by a landslide.

#42 Rick Rypien

Rick Rypien

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Whose job is it to keep the puck out of the net?

Whose job is it to score goals? Whose job is it to keep shots to a minimum and clear out rebounds? If you're ripping Luongo, you're part of whats wrong with this fan base and why most people consider us to be douchebags.
Posted Image

#43 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I don't understand how any of you could put Ryan Miller in the top 5...

He's once again proved to me that he's another average goalie who's having another average season.

The guys only ever had 1 good season above a .916SA% and under 2.50GAA ONCE.

Don't give me that bull on who's playing in front of him. If you're an elite goalie then that shouldn't play a major factor.

I struggle to put him into the Top 10. I'd barely place him 9th or 10th.

These are not elite numbers

Posted Image

Then there's some of you putting Schneider so high... The kids UNPROVEN in the NHL, once he plays a full season playing +60% of games and does well consistently I'll consider it.

Edited by Armada, 05 February 2013 - 12:50 AM.

1314_IProvo_1680x1050.jpg

#44 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I don't understand how any of you could put Ryan Miller in the top 5...

He's once again proved to me that he's another average goalie who's having another average season.

The guys only ever had 1 good season above a .916SA% and under 2.50GAA ONCE.

Don't give me that bull on who's playing in front of him. If you're an elite goalie then that shouldn't play a major factor.

I struggle to put him into the Top 10. I'd barely place him 9th or 10th.

These are not elite numbers

Posted Image

Then there's some of you putting Schneider so high... The kids UNPROVEN in the NHL, once he plays a full season playing +60% of games and does well consistently I'll consider it.

Should the bolded part of your post apply to Luongo in the playoffs then?

#45 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

I find it interesting that nobody has mentioned Broduer or Kiprusoff. While both are obviously getting older and may have regressed a bit. They're still far more proven then Schneider or Rask. I think they should be farther ahead in the "top 10 goalie category" until either Schneider or Rask prove a bit more. Even JS Giguere (sp?) has been fantastic in the NHL throughout his career (minus toronto, but thats bound to happen there) and has had a pretty good start to this year. Not saying I wouldn't rather have Schneider or Rask on my team mostly due to there age/potential, just find it interesting. Also before last season would anyone have considered putting Bryzgalov on this list? He has been very dominant in the past

My list
Lundqvist
Quick
Rinne
Price
Luongo
Ward
Miller
Kipprusof (would be better on another team)
Fluery
Backstrom

Just missed
Broduer (hard not to put him over backstrom)
Rask (another good year and he'd replace kipper)
Schneider(has a lot to prove still)
Pavlec (not a good start this year but was trending up last year)
Smith/Elliot/Halak (all very beneficial from coaching)

Edited by WonderTwinPowers, 05 February 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#46 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

Most recent update of mine on post-lockout top-10 goalies

In no particular order

Curtis Joseph
Ed Belfour
Martin Brodeur
Patrick Roy
John Vanbiesbrouck
Kirk McLean
Mike Richter
Jim Carey
Andy Moog
Trevor Kidd

Gotta stay sharp and attuned to the times, right...?

Seriously tho, I don't think Schneider is top ten just yet... Luongo most def is

Edited by Spoosh, 05 February 2013 - 09:44 AM.

© 2000, 2015 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

SuomenLippu.gif

#47 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Surpised a lot of people are saying Miller > Lu

#48 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

How the hell can Schneider be in a top 10? Is this a Disneyland top 10?............as in Schneider disny start for this or any other team, he disny have a full season behind him yet as a starter and he disny have the experience of the Vancouver "backlash" or how he will react to it.

If he comes back in 5 years time with a record approaching Lu's then yes he may be worthy of a bottom top 10 position.
Kevin.jpg

#49 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Whose job is it to keep the puck out of the net?

Baggins old boy, don't be pernicious, you know full well it's the team effort that keeps the puck out of the net. If you want to prove the theory, put the Wolves in front of any elite goalie.
Kevin.jpg

#50 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Baggins old boy, don't be pernicious, you know full well it's the team effort that keeps the puck out of the net. If you want to prove the theory, put the Wolves in front of any elite goalie.

YEAH! SPEND YOUR MONEY TO ORGANIZE THE WOLVES IN FRONT OF ANY ELITE GOALIE VS ANOTHER NHL TEAM... THEN WE'LL SEE WHO WINS ON AN INTERNET CHAT ROOM GOALIE DISCUSSION!

BOOYEAH

Chopper-for-life-7-600x200.png

If we don't even dump one veteran, I'll stop posting on CDC until October 7th. It's that disappointing. - Tom Sestito, June 27th.

#51 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,006 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

My Top 10, based on statistics over the last 3 seasons (combined average ranking of wins, shutouts, goals against average, save percentage, and minutes played. Includes playoffs and minimum 25 games played over past 3 seasons):
  • Henrik Lundqvist (3.2)
  • Jonathan Quick (4.0)
  • Pekka Rinne (6.4)
  • Tim Thomas (7.0)
  • Roberto Luongo (8.8)
  • Ryan Miller (10.4)
  • Jaroslav Halak (11.2)
  • Jimmy Howard (11.6)
  • Miikka Kiprusoff (13.0)
  • Antti Niemi (13.2)

#52 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

Why bother having a so-called elite goalie if it's not his job to stop the puck?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.