33 replies to this topic

#1 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

I think is the best way to win in this abbreviated season due to injuries to key players and lack of pre-season activities. AV is a master of this system.He had success in it. It wasn't fun to watch but only for this season, I think they need to revert back to this system.

Most of the veterans are great defensively and the rookies were trained down in the AHL to focus in team defense first. Let's do this.I;m pretty sure that the Oilers of this world are in for a rude awakening.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#2 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,947 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Every system has a weakness.

I think a team should use a combination of strategies to win.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#3 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

1-3-1 ?
I remember how big of a story that was on TSN.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#4 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Excellent Thread.

No doubt in my mind the Canucks will play the trap this year. With the talent they have on the team, and the veteran players all willing to buy in I think they go to the trap and make a run at the Cup.

Especially with the Dfense they have now. It makes more sense to play the trap than a more offensive system.

It will be boring hockey but I don't mind it for a short season, especially if it end with raising the Cup.

#5 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

with Raymond, J schro, Hansen, Max Lap playing 2nd line minutes there wont be a whole lot of trap these players use their speed to open the game up then backcheck like crazy i think we will have a more run and gun style now then when Kes and Booth come back. Our defence will be heavily leaned on to take care of our end in the next while.

#6 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Lets trap people with ideas like these into a box and ship them to Toronto.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#7 Goalscorer

Goalscorer

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

They don't have the horses to play this way.

#8 Derp...

Derp...

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:14 AM

We will be more defensive this year and I'm guessing our D will vary from game to game depending on who we are playing, as each team is different. We will still have a high end offense, but it won't have as much pinching from the D as that cost us in the playoffs last year with odd man rushes every single game... First line cycling, second line transition, third line mix, 4th line grinders on the boards looking to get pucks from low to high and back. Should be an effective offense, but our D will generate a lot of our O through their steady play and above average decision making (hopefully less pinching from edler and the rest of our D core)

Edited by Derp..., 18 January 2013 - 02:15 AM.

linden Vey Sig

#9 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

The first topic you make that isn't really, really intensly bad.. Maybe there is hope for humanity!

#10 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

It all depends how the refs call it. After '95 obviously the trap was the way to go in the short season. If they call it tight like they did after 2003 then the trap won't be so effective, or defensively-oriented styles generally. If they call it like they did the second half of last season we should hook and hold like there's no tomorrow. AV has shown he can win with either style, but it really depends on the officiating mandate.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#11 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Whatever, watching the trap is boring. But I'd rather see the Canucks win a moderately boring season than lose again. We certainly won't be an offensive powerhouse without Kesler/Booth.

Bring on the trap! :/

I'm hoping our D is so awesome this year that we get a ton of goals even more than usual from the blue line, to make up for our mediocre secondary scoring.

#12 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

They don't have the horses to play this way.

Yes they do they trapped lst year after Daniel got injured.

#13 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Suits U2 perfectly
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#14 combover

combover

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

no. av tried under nonis we missed the playoffs.nonis lost his job (as he should have) not to mention its sucks to watch.keep the same identity thats been successful kes and booth are out two players of which only one has been a factor in the past.

play the trap management's message to fans:
sorry for the lock out now heres some shtty hockey.

Edited by combover, 18 January 2013 - 09:25 AM.

my warn status is for calling it like i saw it with Dave the donut Nonis. apparently the owners agreed

#15 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

with Raymond, J schro, Hansen, Max Lap playing 2nd line minutes there wont be a whole lot of trap these players use their speed to open the game up then backcheck like crazy i think we will have a more run and gun style now then when Kes and Booth come back. Our defence will be heavily leaned on to take care of our end in the next while.

Minnesota Wild used a transition game for years that relied on speed. They held back in a trap most of the time, but when the puck turned over, they attacked with speed. When they still had the talent to pull it off, it was a great system (although boring to watch).

I think the guys we have in lines 2-4 are perfect for that system.
Posted Image

#16 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

The only system I want to hear about is the one where the Canucks score more goals than the opposition. Don't care how, just do it!!

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#17 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Trap = more Pilsner
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#18 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

No. Boring. hockey. Please.
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#19 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think is the best way to win in this abbreviated season due to injuries to key players and lack of pre-season activities. AV is a master of this system.He had success in it. It wasn't fun to watch but only for this season, I think they need to revert back to this system.

Most of the veterans are great defensively and the rookies were trained down in the AHL to focus in team defense first. Let's do this.I;m pretty sure that the Oilers of this world are in for a rude awakening.

AV has never used a trap. I'm not sure you know what a trap is..........most people who talk about it don't.

#20 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Every team who plays the trap and is actually good at it has one good shutdown Dman. Who is that for us?
Posted Image

#21 edlerstatesman

edlerstatesman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Every team already plays a variation of the trap when they don't have the puck.
Posted Image

#22 edlerstatesman

edlerstatesman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Every team who plays the trap and is actually good at it has one good shutdown Dman. Who is that for us?

I'll ask Hamhuis and Garrison and get back to you.
Posted Image

#23 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,352 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Really??

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#24 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

LA-Doughty
NSH-Weber

Hamhuis is as good as both those two?

Edited by RyanKeslord17, 18 January 2013 - 01:25 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

LA-Doughty
NSH-Weber

Defensively I say Hamuis >= Doughty. Thats my opinion. Doughty no doubt eclipses him offensively though.
Posted Image

#26 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

LA-Doughty
NSH-Weber

When you employ a trap system, which few teams do (despite belief to the contrary), it uses a team zone approach. When you have a shutdown d-man charged with stopping a specific player, or line, you are using a man-man system.

#27 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

When you employ a trap system, which few teams do (despite belief to the contrary), it uses a team zone approach. When you have a shutdown d-man charged with stopping a specific player, or line, you are using a man-man system.

What I'm trying to say is that the Canucks shouldn't be a trap team, nor are they suited to be. We tried it last half of the season and it didn't work. We were Beating bottom feeders by a marginal amount. Then when we had to face LA, it got exploited in the playoffs. That's why we got ousted in 5 games. Stick to our game, not a trap play.
Posted Image

#28 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

The Canucks will definitely play a bit more of a defensive style, at least to start off the season, but plugging 4 guys in the neutral zone isn't something the Canucks will do. Or at least, I hope not. zzzzz

Edited by Jai604, 18 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#29 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

What I'm trying to say is that the Canucks shouldn't be a trap team, nor are they suited to be. We tried it last half of the season and it didn't work. We were Beating bottom feeders by a marginal amount. Then when we had to face LA, it got exploited in the playoffs. That's why we got ousted in 5 games. Stick to our game, not a trap play.

They are not now, were not last year and never have been a trap team. Sorry.

defensive minded hockey does not equal trap. The trap is a very specific, seldom used system

#30 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

The trap is too boring to be suffered, I'd rather watch weeds grow in my garden. Of course, baseball this year will be a great tonic - the Jays finally have a team that will be worth watching. If we play the trap- screw hockey- it is an insult to fans paying good money for tickets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.