The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For this year, and this year only:TRAP is the key

RAMBUTANS

I think is the best way to win in this abbreviated season due to injuries to key players and lack of pre-season activities. AV is a master of this system.He had success in it. It wasn't fun to watch but only for this season, I think they need to revert back to this system.

Most of the veterans are great defensively and the rookies were trained down in the AHL to focus in team defense first. Let's do this.I;m pretty sure that the Oilers of this world are in for a rude awakening.

Excellent Thread.

No doubt in my mind the Canucks will play the trap this year. With the talent they have on the team, and the veteran players all willing to buy in I think they go to the trap and make a run at the Cup.

Especially with the Dfense they have now. It makes more sense to play the trap than a more offensive system.

It will be boring hockey but I don't mind it for a short season, especially if it end with raising the Cup.

with Raymond, J schro, Hansen, Max Lap playing 2nd line minutes there wont be a whole lot of trap these players use their speed to open the game up then backcheck like crazy i think we will have a more run and gun style now then when Kes and Booth come back. Our defence will be heavily leaned on to take care of our end in the next while.

We will be more defensive this year and I'm guessing our D will vary from game to game depending on who we are playing, as each team is different. We will still have a high end offense, but it won't have as much pinching from the D as that cost us in the playoffs last year with odd man rushes every single game... First line cycling, second line transition, third line mix, 4th line grinders on the boards looking to get pucks from low to high and back. Should be an effective offense, but our D will generate a lot of our O through their steady play and above average decision making (hopefully less pinching from edler and the rest of our D core)

It all depends how the refs call it. After '95 obviously the trap was the way to go in the short season. If they call it tight like they did after 2003 then the trap won't be so effective, or defensively-oriented styles generally. If they call it like they did the second half of last season we should hook and hold like there's no tomorrow. AV has shown he can win with either style, but it really depends on the officiating mandate.

Whatever, watching the trap is boring. But I'd rather see the Canucks win a moderately boring season than lose again. We certainly won't be an offensive powerhouse without Kesler/Booth.

Bring on the trap! :/

I'm hoping our D is so awesome this year that we get a ton of goals even more than usual from the blue line, to make up for our mediocre secondary scoring.

no. av tried under nonis we missed the playoffs.nonis lost his job (as he should have) not to mention its sucks to watch.keep the same identity thats been successful kes and booth are out two players of which only one has been a factor in the past.

play the trap management's message to fans:

sorry for the lock out now heres some shtty hockey.

with Raymond, J schro, Hansen, Max Lap playing 2nd line minutes there wont be a whole lot of trap these players use their speed to open the game up then backcheck like crazy i think we will have a more run and gun style now then when Kes and Booth come back. Our defence will be heavily leaned on to take care of our end in the next while.

I think is the best way to win in this abbreviated season due to injuries to key players and lack of pre-season activities. AV is a master of this system.He had success in it. It wasn't fun to watch but only for this season, I think they need to revert back to this system.

Most of the veterans are great defensively and the rookies were trained down in the AHL to focus in team defense first. Let's do this.I;m pretty sure that the Oilers of this world are in for a rude awakening.

Archived