Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Is Mattias Ohlund the best Canucks defenseman ever?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Ohlund was great. Would have probably been even better without the eye injury - perhaps even Norris-candidate-better.

But, I gotta say, Hamhuis has been solid gold since he signed here. If he ends up playing out his career here, and doesn't lose much performance-wise, he may end up the best we've had.
Posted Image

#32 Black Mountain

Black Mountain

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

What about Jeff "I sleep with my teammates wives" Brown

All jokes aside he had a great shot and was a key component to the 94 cup run. Was he the best of all time not a chance but he was solid for us.................... and Mcleans wife
Posted Image

#33 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Ohlund is the best Canucks-drafted defenseman certainly.

Lumme is generally underrated around here, but a case can easily be made for him to be the best Canuck d-man.

Both deserve honouring.
Posted Image

#34 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Best defenceman, IMO, to ever suit up as a Canuck was Paul Reinhart. He could skate, pass, shoot, score, play physically. It's too bad we didn't get hime earlier and that he couldn't stay longer. He retired at age 29 because of a back injury that he couldn't shake. 114 points in 131 games as a Canuck. Not too shabby. A career ended far too soon.

Ohly is a close second, for me. Not as prolific offensively, but, way above average defensively and moved the puck out of his zone well. 11 years in VanCity sums it all up, for me. So glad he played here in his prime.

You're probably right even tho he didn't play that long for the Canucks. I would throw out Dale Tallon as well. He had some great years with little support. Canucks rushed him into the NHL and it was sink or swim.

#35 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yuuuup.

Workhorse, classy, not too flashy, like a rock.

Lot's of second place finishers but Ohlund was an quiet, underestimated all rounder.

#36 TheMalamute

TheMalamute

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Sami Salo deserves to be part of the conversation. Aside from his health (or lack thereof), he was really an ideal d-man. His offensive talents speak for themselves, but imo he was one of the most consistent and solid defensemen Vancouver's ever seen. Note, in his time with the Canucks, he left with a +78 rating, tied with, believe it or not, Dana Murzyn for tops all-time.

PPG - 0.417

When considering statistical comparison of the likes of Lumme and Ohlund, recall they spent significantly more time with Vancouver Pre-Lockout (2005, not 2013).

Posted Image

#37 Dustin77

Dustin77

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Rory Fitzpatrick!

Sven Butenschon (not sure how to spell his last name) Eric Weinrich, Keith Carney, Matt Schneider....
LORD STANLEYS MUG WANTS TO BE IN VANCOUVER BC 2012/13

#38 **Pavel4Life**

**Pavel4Life**

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

i think ohlund is the best defensman in naslund era but now I think edler will become the best.

MG better sign him up soon then...
CFOO SIG FTW!

QUOTE (bugmo @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 AM) And you are an idiot who can't see things for the way they are. It's people like you who make it seem okay for the canucks to have a non playoff making team every year. Gillis supporter go jump off the Patullo.

This was said to me and it makes me laugh everytime I read it.

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,001 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I was looking up Lumme highlights on youtube and ran into some '94 Canuck lore that i forgot even happened:

The 1994 Canuck fan appreciation event held at BC Place.

A few thoughts about it:

1. We packed BC Place to capacity and yelled and screamed like we won. (This event is usually reserved for winners.)

2. The event blows our reaction to the 2011 cup finals loss out of the water. It became more clear to me why we still hold '94 in such high esteem.

3. We absolutely LOVED Bure. As it was commented on in the footage, he turned a lot of 'meh' hockey fans in this town into real hockey fans.

4. Every player on that team stood up and made a speech to the fans, including guys like Shawn Antoski. The premier was there. The Campbell trophy was on display. Again, odd event for a non-championship team, but the demand for it was obviously there.

5. My apprecation for our fanbase just went up a few notches.

It was uploaded in 2007 and i'm sure a lot of you have seen it already, but it's worth another look, imo.

Posted Image

#40 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Ohlund is definitely in the conversation along with Reinhart, Lumme, Jovanoski, Edler, Salo, Bieksa and possibly HAmhuis if he keeps playing like he does.

I have been watching the Canucks since 1971 and the 70's and 80's were pretty sparse when it came to top end D-men. Kearns was a good playmaker, McCarthy was okay, Rick Lanz & Doug halward, Doug Lidster were okay in the 80's

Edited by TheCammer, 18 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Posted Image

#41 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I was looking up Lumme highlights on youtube and ran into some '94 Canuck lore that i forgot even happened:

The 1994 Canuck fan appreciation event held at BC Place.

A few thoughts about it:

1. We packed BC Place to capacity and yelled and screamed like we won. (This event is usually reserved for winners.)

2. The event blows our reaction to the 2011 cup finals loss out of the water. It became more clear to me why we still hold '94 in such high esteem.

3. We absolutely LOVED Bure. As it was commented on in the footage, he turned a lot of 'meh' hockey fans in this town into real hockey fans.

4. Every player on that team stood up and made a speech to the fans, including guys like Shawn Antoski. The premier was there. The Campbell trophy was on display. Again, odd event for a non-championship team, but the demand for it was obviously there.

5. My apprecation for our fanbase just went up a few notches.

It was uploaded in 2007 and i'm sure a lot of you have seen it already, but it's worth another look, imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSt6hC-cfTw

It would be nice if we could get back to that. We seem to be collecting more d-bags on the bandwagon each year.
Posted Image

#42 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

still never understand why we let him go
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#43 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

You're probably right even tho he didn't play that long for the Canucks. I would throw out Dale Tallon as well. He had some great years with little support. Canucks rushed him into the NHL and it was sink or swim.

I was going to mention Dale Tallon, too, Bouds. Those first 3 years as a Canuck were pretty stellar, for a young buck! 56 points as a rookie is impressive, even today! Too bad his career, after he was traded to the Hawks, never really materialized, except for that one 60 point year.

I also loved Lumme. I still have a white skate jersey with Lumme's name on it. My favorite Lumme skill was the backhanded, almost hit the score clock, PK, down the ice dump! Had some pretty slick offensive prowess, too. Very solid defensively on most nights.

Rhino, Ohly, Lumme for me. Honorable mention to Dennis Kearns, Hammer, Jovo and Eddie.

Edited by Hugemanskost, 18 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#44 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Ohlund is definitely in the conversation along with Reinhart, Lumme, Jovanoski, Edler, Salo, Bieksa and possibly HAmhuis if he keeps playing like he does.

I have been watching the Canucks since 1971 and the 70's and 80's were pretty sparse when it came to top end D-men. Kearns was a good playmaker, McCarthy was okay, Rick Lanz & Doug halward, Doug Lidster were okay in the 80's

Darn tootin', Cammer!

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#45 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yes
Posted Image

#46 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I'm sad we let him go, but the eye injury was not something he could come back from, and im afraid that neither can Malhotra... We should try to trade him this year for someone else!

What are you talking about? Ohlund played virtually his entire career AFTER the eye injury.

#47 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Now I like Ohlund, he was a very good defenseman for us, but does anyone else find it a little off putting that in 40+ years of existence he's arguably our best?

Not off-putting so much as sad and mildly pathetic. Maybe more than mildly.

RIP LB RR PD

#48 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

It's not hard to say "ever" when talking about the Canucks. Our most notable defensemen before Ohlund were Jyrki Lumme, Doug Lidster, Harold Snepsts and Garth Butcher. We didn't have much of a history before the Bure years.

Kevin Mccarthy would probably be #2 behind Ohlund, with Salo coming in third. Rick Lanz was also a fantastic d-man for the Nucks, as was Geoff Brown

#49 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Given his long tenure here and the role he played for this team all these years, I'd day Ohlund is the best Canucks defenseman we've had.

Edited by bossram, 18 January 2013 - 02:23 PM.

What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#50 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

As I read the list of potential candidates for all-time best Canucks defenceman, it struck me that we have not had a player that can be defined as a truly elite defenceman, in the likeness of a Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Niklas Lidstrom, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Bobby Orr, etc.

I think the closest Canuck guys for me that is classified as having franchise-dman skills would be Paul Reinhart (though his best days were with the Flames) and possibly Ed Jovanovski. When Babych was drafted by the Jets in 1981, he was billed as a franchise defenceman, but that never panned out (he was subsequently dealt to Hartford Whalers for Ray Neufeld, straight up...one of Fergie's worst trades ever), and by the time he got to the Canucks, he was a good top-4, but wasn't the franchise guy he was supposed to be for the Jets.

We've had some very good d-men (many of whom have been listed in previous posts), and our current lineup boasts some of the best B+ to A- type guys in Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler. But unfortunately, through our history, we haven't had anyone who stands out as a franchise guy...and I wouldn't classify our any of our current d-men as A+ franchise guys. Under the category of "what could have been", perhaps Luc Bourdon could have emerged as that Franchise defenceman.

Having said all of the above, if we were to take a body of work that consists of offensive/defensive skills, toughness, and longevity, I would have say Ohlund is it. I think Edler has the POTENTIAL to unseat Ohlund (that's if he remains a Canuck past this season), as a top flight A- defenceman.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is Harold Snepts...he didn't have a lot of talent, but he sure did a lot with what he had.

#51 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Ohlund is my all-time favourite Canucks defenseman. Solid defensively, physical and can chip in offensively. What more do you need from a d-man.
Posted Image

#52 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Ohlund was a beast. He was actually Norris calibre before his eye injury, even then the was still pretty good. He didn't just do random big hits, he actually like devastated with them. He was mean along the boards, and he was pretty good offensively on top of that. He was great all around.

#53 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

No.

He's on the short list, but Reinhart and Lidster were both better.

He's in the mix with Babych, Kearns, Lumme, Salo, etc.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#54 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

As I read the list of potential candidates for all-time best Canucks defenceman, it struck me that we have not had a player that can be defined as a truly elite defenceman, in the likeness of a Shea Weber, Drew Doughty, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, Niklas Lidstrom, Larry Robinson, Denis Potvin, Bobby Orr, etc.

I think the closest Canuck guys for me that is classified as having franchise-dman skills would be Paul Reinhart (though his best days were with the Flames) and possibly Ed Jovanovski. When Babych was drafted by the Jets in 1981, he was billed as a franchise defenceman, but that never panned out (he was subsequently dealt to Hartford Whalers for Ray Neufeld, straight up...one of Fergie's worst trades ever), and by the time he got to the Canucks, he was a good top-4, but wasn't the franchise guy he was supposed to be for the Jets.

We've had some very good d-men (many of whom have been listed in previous posts), and our current lineup boasts some of the best B+ to A- type guys in Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Edler. But unfortunately, through our history, we haven't had anyone who stands out as a franchise guy...and I wouldn't classify our any of our current d-men as A+ franchise guys. Under the category of "what could have been", perhaps Luc Bourdon could have emerged as that Franchise defenceman.

Having said all of the above, if we were to take a body of work that consists of offensive/defensive skills, toughness, and longevity, I would have say Ohlund is it. I think Edler has the POTENTIAL to unseat Ohlund (that's if he remains a Canuck past this season), as a top flight A- defenceman.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is Harold Snepts...he didn't have a lot of talent, but he sure did a lot with what he had.

People say Babych didn't pan out...

But even in the 80s, 70 points made you an elite offensive defenceman.

Jets made a brutal trade when they let him go.

I don't have a list of the NHL's all time career defense scoring list, but if someone looked up Babych's spot, I bet they would be quite pleasantly surprised.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

#55 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I just looked up Babych... 24th all time for defenseman scoring in NHL history. Would have been higher up when he retired too.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#56 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Come on guys..

We all know it's Aaron Rome.

come on guys

if aaron rome jokes wernt funny last year , how could they be funny now?
Posted Image

#57 Brendan Gaunce

Brendan Gaunce

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

salo

Posted Image

#58 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

I just looked up Babych... 24th all time for defenseman scoring in NHL history. Would have been higher up when he retired too.

Please indulge me as I take a stroll down memory lane...

Dave Babych is one of my favorite all time players and I was a diehard Jets fan until I moved to Vancouver as a young adult in 1989. As a kid, my family had Jets season tickets in the old Winnipeg Arena (section 13 row 8, seats 7 and 8, along the blue line behind the Jets bench) so I got to see almost all of the Jets home games from 1980 to 1987). But I didn't know the career stat lines on Babych til now (http://www.quanthock....php?player=188). Thanks for the info Beistra.

When the Jets drafted Babych from the Portland Winterhawks second overall in the 1980 amateur draft after Montreal surprisingly took Doug Wickenheiser and Chicago took Denis Savard third overall after Babych, he was touted to be the next Denis Potvin...big, lots of skill, big shot, smart defensively, tough and not to be messed with (in his draft year, he apparently beat the living daylights out of Torrie Robertson, who was reputed to be one of the most feared fighters in the WHL).

For awhile, it looked like he was going to fulfill all expectations, but he suffered a debilitating wrist injury that most believe effectively changed his game (this is probably the reason why I'm inclined to give Edler and Raymond some slack with their play because they have suffered hand/wrist injuries that seems to have limited their effectiveness...as well, I tore a ligament in my index finger on the top hand almost 20 years ago and the strength in my hand for playing hockey was never the same after what would appear to be a simple injury).

The Babych that played for the Canucks was a well seasoned veteran...lots of experience and still loaded with top 4 abilities. He didn't post the offensive numbers like he did in Winnipeg and Hartford, but he was a solid top 4. I forgot he played 7 years for us (I had thought he only played 2-3 years here). I would rank Babych as one of the top 10 d-men to have played for the Canucks, but still make the contention that Ohlund is still the best d-man to play for the Canucks.

Thanks for letting me share a whole lot of trivial stuff that was dying to get out of my head. Peace out.

#59 Zissou

Zissou

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

Lumme for me with Ohlund a close second. But (not to jinx anything, *knocks on wood*) I think Edler, with his new deal, has the potential to eclipse both of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.