The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schroeder rumoured to be last cut - Cap/waiver issues

RonnyMB

How is he rumoured to go? All that is, is Elliot Paps opinion, no decision has been made yet.

With both Ryan Kesler and David Booth injured, the nine-player roster reduction leaves the Canucks with just one more move to make to reach the 23-man limit. The deadline is 5 p.m. Pacific. Centre Jordan Schroeder remains the most likely to go as he doesn't require waivers. The other three candidates to possibly head out are left winger Aaron Volpatti, defenceman-left winger Jim Vandermeer and veteran centre Andrew Ebbet

I see why they'd be apprehensive about waiving Ebbett, since he's done okay with spot-duty when there's injuries. I just sort of feel bad that this might be why Schroeder doesn't get his shot (at least, right away). He out preformed Ebbett in camp, and deserves a look at least. It won't be long until he finds his way back up onto our roster if he gets sent down though, in my opinion.

Despite the waivers I still think it's Vandermeer going. The real guy that should be cut is Barker - didn't see anything from him in either scrimmage. Right now we have 13 forwards, 9 D, 2 goaltenders - that tells me we should cut a Dman, not a forward.

This 'cap' thing is bullsh*t, as Kesler and Booth are both on the IR that's a prorated 9.5m free'd up. There is room for JS, both as 13th forward and as under the cap.

Despite the waivers I still think it's Vandermeer going. The real guy that should be cut is Barker - didn't see anything from him in either scrimmage. Right now we have 13 forwards, 9 D, 2 goaltenders - that tells me we should cut a Dman, not a forward.

This 'cap' thing is bullsh*t, as Kesler and Booth are both on the IR that's a prorated 9.5m free'd up. There is room for JS, both as 13th forward and as under the cap.

In a short season the Canucks can't afford to put a less-then-best team on the ice. They shouldn't waste space cause they are worried that Ebbet will get picked up. Considering all the players that have already gone through waivers, I don't see why Ebbett would be picked up over them, and even if he was he's a spot player at best and hardly a tragic loss.

Isn't there already a thread on this topic? Like I said in that thread

Posted 23 minutes ago

MG was on 1040 earlier. He said JS would get a shot, if not to start the season then fairly quickly.

I think they are making roster decisions so not to lose certain players on waivers etc.

Archived