The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

The number of players on waivers doesn't have any effect on good players being claimed. If anything, today would be the last day that GMs make their final tweaks by getting any depth guys they can off waivers.

If you put a player on waivers tomorrow before teams have even played, I doubt GMs will be looking to make upgrades as much.

Give me a break. He was solid on the ice every night. Yes he did get the cushy minutes, but there was no part of his game that was "bad". You could try that on any player, it wouldn't work on someone like Volpatti for instance. They have to have skill to begin with. Your logic has way too many holes in it.

Yea, it's not fair to say that his points were somehow handed to him. He earned most of his points with his skill.

And as far as his cushy minutes, it's no different than what teams do with most of their rookie prospects.

But at the same time, he has yet to prove that he can produce outside of those protected minutes. Time will tell if he can be a true number 1 centerman, and play in all situations.

> Give me a break. He was solid on the ice every night. Yes he did get the cushy minutes, but there was no part of his game that was "bad".

Your point was that Hodgson played poorly in the AHL and great in the NHL (so AHL performance has no correllation with NHL performance). That's not true in the slightest. He didn't score as much in the AHL cause, if you remember, he was badly hurt at the time (with the worst possible injury too - a bad back). Then, once he did make the NHL, he got better starts than any rookie in the world. The team even admitted to juking his stats that way. Also of note: His stats dropped quite a bit, despite getting 1st line minutes, after he was traded.

Pretty disappointed thought he would be given a chance to play in the top nine, its true AV dosent like to play the younger players over some of the vets.. Also I'd like to see him at least be given a chance to prove he can be a NHL player. You need young guys to contribute to your team while they get paid less.

I had less interest than usual about this season, mainly because of the lockout but also because AV is still here. Now I have almost zero interest in watching Saturday's game with Schroeder not playing. I highly doubt Kassian gets much ice time either but Raymond will stay on no matter how useless he is in a regular season game.

All this talk of Schroeder is making me think that people shouldn't be allowed to post their opinion about prospects unless they've watched them play in a reasonable amount of games. Or if they listen to the people who have before posting and realize that those people know way more about the prospect than them and their opinion should objectively be considered more valuable.

Yea, it's not fair to say that his points were somehow handed to him. He earned most of his points with his skill.

And as far as his cushy minutes, it's no different than what teams do with most of their rookie prospects.

But at the same time, he has yet to prove that he can produce outside of those protected minutes. Time will tell if he can be a true number 1 centerman, and play in all situations.

I remember when I and a number of other rugby guys roomed in a house together. We had a few girls over and were watching hockey, when one of the girls said, "That guy must be good, he's cute!" That is an uninformed opinion, and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Now, most people would realize that (even if similar thoughts do get posted here) but if you want to post your opinion without any real backing or knowledge of why you think that other than an arbitrary belief, following someone else's opinion, or limited observation, then be prepared to have some one argue that you don't know what you're talking about.

In short, everyone is allowed to post their opinion but with knowledgeable people on this board, be prepared to defend it - particularly if you want to make outlandish and/or negative statements. If you aren't prepared to defend it with proper backing, continuing to stand beside your opinion and argue with other posters isn't a wise idea.

I wanted, and even predicted, Schroeder would stick, but I was wrong. I didn't think there would be any risk for some of the players passing waivers, and maybe there isn't and it's just about needing more evaluation time in a shortened training camp. I thought about it the opposite way, with Schroeder needing more evaluation time, but him being waiver eligible and others not, and possibly with uncertainty over who will benefit us the best, he was sent down.

It isn't a reflection on Schroeder's ability as far as we know at this point.

I had less interest than usual about this season, mainly because of the lockout but also because AV is still here. Now I have almost zero interest in watching Saturday's game with Schroeder not playing. I highly doubt Kassian gets much ice time either but Raymond will stay on no matter how useless he is in a regular season game.

So you were a Canucks fan because of a player that hasn't even played for the team?

I think Kassian actually will get ice time. AV likes his tough players. Especially tough players that actually have skill. I would think Kassian will be one of his favorites.

How else does someone like Byron Bitz ever get to play with the Sedins? AV has a soft spot for tough guys.

So you were a Canucks fan because of a player that hasn't even played for the team?

I think Kassian actually will get ice time. AV likes his tough players. Especially tough players that actually have skill. I would think Kassian will be one of his favorites.

How else does someone like Byron Bitz ever get to play with the Sedins? AV has a soft spot for tough guys.

Archived