The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

Schroeder will be back.

MG did say the exact same thing last year when he stated Schroeder would play games with the big club....

This year is different. Kesler and Booth are both out, I think Schroeder will definitely get a chance to showcase.

Ebbett won't be able to handle the 2nd line pressure. I don't see the 2nd line doing a whole lot. Raymond isn't very much considered a 2nd liner, and Ebbett is only a depth player. Kassian also doesn't have a whole lot of experience in the NHL.

We'll see what happens.

Brutal.

I have watched enough wolves games this season to see Ebbett isn't even a solid AHL player nvm a NHL 2nd liner.

Schroeder has a much better all around game and far more potential while Ebbett is good as he will ever be and that's not very good. From what I've seen Ebbett is nothing but a plug that doesn't really bring any assets to team and has several weaknesses.

Dumb move which is worrying because with 2 of top players out we will need some decent coaching.

Just shut up about Gillis. You cant argue with the on ice product, we've contended every year since hes been in office. I used to not like AV but Ive realized that compared to these guys i know **** all so as long as they keep winning, im happy.

I know i couldn't coach or manage this team, a wack of you need to also come to that realization.

Theres a difference between opinion and ignorance...

Everyone's disappointed - but too few people take into account cap issues which obviously played into this (MG and AV have said as much). Schroeder will get his chance, quite possibly later this season and/if injuries occur. He's still young, he's not a premiere player that can step in and make a huge difference. And we know Ebbet is dependable, even if he isn't someone that'll put up huge numbers.

Everyone's losing their minds over a player that hasn't even dominated the AHL. Take a breather - we all want him, and the team to do well. Wait until either of those things happen or don't to lose it.

Just shut up about Gillis. You cant argue with the on ice product, we've contended every year since hes been in office. I used to not like AV but Ive realized that compared to these guys i know **** all so as long as they keep winning, im happy.

I know i couldn't coach or manage this team, a wack of you need to also come to that realization.

Theres a difference between opinion and ignorance...

Counter to this is maybe they felt they didn't want to put too much pressure on Schroeder.

If you think about how they were grooming CoHo it was the following:

1. Put him on the third line where there wasn't alot of offensive pressure, chip in where you can and its gravy.

2. Play well defensively, learn from Kelser and Sedin.

3. Learn the nuances, finer points of the game with less pressure. Faceoffs, play against better, faster players, etc.

4. Once you show AV that you start getting some spot duty on the PP to allow your offensive instincts to get back into your game now at the NHL level.

5. 20 pts, 30pts, 40 pts, then you're ready for the second line....

6. Only issue was CoHo's daddy cried....

Thats the transition folks, maybe they just feel he's too close and don't want to bust him with alot of pressure out of the gates (2nd line offensive, defensive responsibilities, etc in a shortened season when even his linemates aren't proven).

He'll be called back up but just not right away. AV knows what he's doing as does MG. They want this kid to succeed and have him on the path to.

People on here often seem to forget the Canucks groom their players differently. You learn to play responsibly defensively first then you get to get the ice for the pts. If his game isn't quite there yet defensively playing poorly could really crush this kid who's kept working hard and is doing all the right things...

He'll be a canuck and his size won't hold him back (didn't for ronning and he was terrific, and schroeder can be another ronning), just maybe leave it to the pros to make the right calls on development.

Waivers is one thing, but I watched a couple of practices along with both open scrimmages and this could have something to do with their play as well. Schroeder had flashes of good play, but nothing that necessarily won him the 2nd line spot. For those that watched the open practices should've noticed that he was getting run over all over the ice. During faceoff practice, he would win like 1 in every 10 faceoffs. Not to say that Schroeder didn't deserve a chance, but he didn't exactly blow Ebbett out of the water and this is where the the waivers probably played in the final decision.

Well I don't know what AV & G expect. Somtimes it seems like they expect rookies to come in and perform like NHL regulars, without any ups and downs or learning curves.

We're going to have a hard time developing prospects if those continue to be the expectations. It's rare for rookies to just come in and hit the ground running. Even the best prospects have a learning curve.

I like that we're trying to model ourselves after Detroit though. We should let our prospects tough it out in the minors until they're fully developed. But even the Red Wings give their prospects a taste of the NHL once and a while. Schroeder should have been given a few games last season IMO. Just enough to keep him hungry.

Schroeder will be back.

MG did say the exact same thing last year when he stated Schroeder would play games with the big club....

This year is different. Kesler and Booth are both out, I think Schroeder will definitely get a chance to showcase.

Ebbett won't be able to handle the 2nd line pressure. I don't see the 2nd line doing a whole lot. Raymond isn't very much considered a 2nd liner, and Ebbett is only a depth player. Kassian also doesn't have a whole lot of experience in the NHL.

We'll see what happens.

Archived