308 replies to this topic

#271 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Maybe the coach just doesn't think he's good enough? It seems like everyone here just assumes he can play at the NHL level but he didn't make the team even with two key forwards out and some serious questions up the middle. And he's on an ELC? On a team that is up against the cap? Maybe they are just juggling the lineup to protect players frow waivers but its sort of a statement if you ask me. If they really believed in the kid he would have a roster spot. This seemingly is his chance but time and again when Gillis needs centers he has overlooked Schroeder. It's sad but I think his window is closing. The opportunities will get smaller once Kesler is back and you have to assume Gillis will add at least one C before the deadline.

I hope he gets moved by the deadline and at least gets a chance. Maybe he can't play at the NHL level but even Haydar had a few games.

#272 kesler'sselke

kesler'sselke

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Schroeder is probably good enough to make the team, but the problem here, stated over many time here is wavier. However that being said I don't think Ebbett is that important of a depth player. If he gets claimed, we won't suffer from it. Schroeder should be given a chance. Another way of looking this is that Ebbett is not centering the second line, Higgin has the ability to play center if that way the Ebbett is potentially playing on the 4th line. I am fine with that. I wouldn't want Schroeder to play 4th line mintues

#273 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Schroeder didn't play in Texas last night. Did he even leave Vancouver? He will get a shot this season. My big concern is K-Conn who was coming along nicely and seems to have tanked this year. Is he nursing an injury?

#274 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Schroeder didn't play in Texas last night. Did he even leave Vancouver? He will get a shot this season. My big concern is K-Conn who was coming along nicely and seems to have tanked this year. Is he nursing an injury?

I wouldn't say he's tanked, but he did try and focus more on defence first to start the season, much like Tanev tried to drop offence into his game and didn't play as comfortably as he has previously. Combine that with Arniel insisting on playing Connauton with Joslin most of the time instead of Tanev or another defensive partner to balance out Connauton's offence, and he hasn't produced as much over the whole season. He still has some work to do, but by no means should we be worried for this one season.

And Schroeder didn't play last night as his flight was later than the others that were sent down, but the Wolves play again tonight and Schroeder will most definitely be there.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#275 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm sure the hesitancy stems from someone like Nonis claiming Ebbett should we place him on waivers. Imagine where that would leave us if JS got blindsided by Getzlaf, Peckham or Fistric. We'd be left with Alex Friesen for centre choices and in an even weaker Luongo bargaining position.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#276 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Counter to this is maybe they felt they didn't want to put too much pressure on Schroeder.

If you think about how they were grooming CoHo it was the following:

1. Put him on the third line where there wasn't alot of offensive pressure, chip in where you can and its gravy.

2. Play well defensively, learn from Kelser and Sedin.

3. Learn the nuances, finer points of the game with less pressure. Faceoffs, play against better, faster players, etc.

4. Once you show AV that you start getting some spot duty on the PP to allow your offensive instincts to get back into your game now at the NHL level.

5. 20 pts, 30pts, 40 pts, then you're ready for the second line....

6. Only issue was CoHo's daddy cried....

Thats the transition folks, maybe they just feel he's too close and don't want to bust him with alot of pressure out of the gates (2nd line offensive, defensive responsibilities, etc in a shortened season when even his linemates aren't proven).

He'll be called back up but just not right away. AV knows what he's doing as does MG. They want this kid to succeed and have him on the path to.

People on here often seem to forget the Canucks groom their players differently. You learn to play responsibly defensively first then you get to get the ice for the pts. If his game isn't quite there yet defensively playing poorly could really crush this kid who's kept working hard and is doing all the right things...

He'll be a canuck and his size won't hold him back (didn't for ronning and he was terrific, and schroeder can be another ronning), just maybe leave it to the pros to make the right calls on development.

Very well said sir.. I agree with this 100 percent. I'll admit I'm kinda frustrated cus as a fan I'm itchin to see what the kids got. At the end of the day though every single player on the Canucks has exceeded their expectations. We have no reason not to trust these guys, they always end up being right in the end lol

That's how Scotty bowman coached and he's the best coach of all time

#277 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm sure the hesitancy stems from someone like Nonis claiming Ebbett should we place him on waivers. Imagine where that would leave us if JS got blindsided by Getzlaf, Peckham or Fistric. We'd be left with Alex Friesen for centre choices and in an even weaker Luongo bargaining position.

Valid point in that we don't want to lose depth, and in other news Gomez is close to signing a $700K deal with San Jose.

Alain Vigneault says Canucks won’t be going with 12 forwards, nine defenceman for very long

Don’t get too accustomed to the roster the Vancouver Canucks introduce Saturday night for their season opener Anaheim Ducks.

Coach Alain Vigneault said that he can’t see the Canucks running with the 12-forward, nine-defenceman format for an extended period.

Rearguard Cam Barker, Andrew Alberts and Jim Vandermeer are the scratches against the Ducks, while Andrew Ebbett has the second-line centre gig, winning the spot from Jordan Schroeder in training camp.

He’s between Mason Raymond and Zack Kassian to start against the Ducks. Henrik and Daniel Sedin are with Alex Burrows on the first line, while Max Lapierre is between Chris Higgins and Jannik Hansen on the third line and the fourth features Dale Wiese and Aaron Volpatti flanking Manny Malhotra.

Defence pairings see Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis together, while new contract man Alex Edler is with Jason Garrison and Chris Tanev teams with Keith Ballard.

“For the time being, this is how we’re going to start, but I would not predict us keeping nine defencemen very, very long, if I was in the prediction business,” he said.

Vigneault said the fact that Schroeder could be set down without needing waivers played into the Canuck decision.

“It was part of the early decision that we had to make,” Vigneault said. “I thought Schroeds played really well, especially that last game. That being said, Andrew had a real strong camp also. He has more experience and in Chicago he had been their most consistent forward.”

So, what this appears to be is the three depth D getting an extended tryout before they decide who to try and send down. None of the three are starting today, but I'd expect we see them get some time if there's questions about who will stick.

After that (or even before if Ebbett struggles at all) one of those D will be sent down and Schroeder will possibly get his chance. A trade could still happen as well, and what that looks like will affect everything.

Edited by elvis15, 19 January 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#278 canucks#01fan

canucks#01fan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Some people are so damn ignorant... He'll likely be back
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for avatar

#279 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I meant that we have cap space to go out and get another player. Meaning I wonder If Schroeder's spot will be filled or not.

I'll assume your meaning a higher quality, more expensive play. So I have to ask: What do we do with that player and his cap hit when Kesler returns and puts us over the cap?
Posted Image

#280 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Schroeder is probably good enough to make the team, but the problem here, stated over many time here is wavier. However that being said I don't think Ebbett is that important of a depth player. If he gets claimed, we won't suffer from it. Schroeder should be given a chance. Another way of looking this is that Ebbett is not centering the second line, Higgin has the ability to play center if that way the Ebbett is potentially playing on the 4th line. I am fine with that. I wouldn't want Schroeder to play 4th line mintues

Disagree fundamentally with this comment. In the current context he's quite an important depth player.

There simply 'arenot' many viable Cs on the UFA market - and Ebbett has signed a two way deal with us worth a mere 600k at the NHL level. He scored an impressive 5 goals and +2 in 18 games last season, and 21 points in 29 games and +5 with the Wolves is nothing to scoff at. Needless to say, he has been a very good dollar for dollar deal for the Canucks, and he brings a certain team player enthusiasm to the club. I don't doubt for a second that if he were exposed to waivers, any number of the many teams that are shallow at C would snatch him up.

I'm one of those people who would love to see Schroeder on the roster this year playing between HIggins and Hansen.
However, I'm not big on the idea of dropping him on the 2nd line opening night.

#281 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

For all the complaining that transpires on CDC regarding the Wolves, our AHL team has two centers, a veteran and an NHL ready rookie who are both NHL quality depth options, a right side blueliner who is a serious quality addition to the third pairing, and a big talented RW who I think will prove that he is NHL ready. Those are the Canucks greatest positions of need, and the Wolves best four players are precisely at those positions. The next greatest need is a backup in the event of a Luongo deal, and Eddie Lack is our best prospect, he's simply not healthy this year. In addition, our best prospects not playing for the Wolves are a big, extremely talented RW in Jensen, a big prototypical third line center playing in the O, and a very talented two way right side defenseman who was Dougie Hamilton's partner on the top pairing for the OHL in the subway series.

The Canucks are looking just fine where their developing young players fitting their needs are concerned.

#282 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Schroeder not playing for the Wolves tonight:

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1010446

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#283 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

I don't know that I believe he's being held up just to make it back into the roster after a later move, but they could be thinking of dropping one of the 9 D sooner rather than later. We do know that's the plan eventually, but you'd think they'd want to at least lay them to see who to keep but we iced our top 6 D tonight.

I'd expect he would have played tonight if he was back with the Wolves though, so maybe that is the case.

#284 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

This whole situation with keeping 9 d over letting Schroeder play seems a tad ridiculous. I hope trying to decide between the 7th/8th/9th dmen isn't as important to them as solidifying the 2nd line for the short term. There must be more to it.

SYvE9NH.gif

#285 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,075 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:05 AM

Send Alberts down, call Schroeder up?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Schroeder - Kassian
Raymond - Lapierre - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#286 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

We could send Tanev down temporary and bring Schroeder up......we have more D than forward here

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#287 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,336 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Send Vandermeer down, bring up a center who can pass.

Subbancopy.jpg

#288 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

I thought we want him because we need "toughness", it either Barker or Albert would go down but Albert cap hit is a bit high

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

#289 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:25 AM

Too bad he wasn't given the opportunity to play early this season.
Posted Image

#290 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:27 AM

I think he play against the flames....there is a two day break in between so time to do shuffle up and down the roster......

#291 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

I thought we want him because we need "toughness", it either Barker or Albert would go down but Albert cap hit is a bit high

Not saying we would send him down as he's less likely than one of the other two, but Alberts cap hit is $1.225M so that would be reduced by $900K if he were sent down and only the extra $325K would count against our cap. Not a big issue.

#292 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

No, he's on a two way contract. Will not clear waivers. Barker has better chance of clearing.

#293 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'd love to see him back soon.

Hopefully we can quickly determine which defenseman to lose via waivers so that we can put Ebbett back in the press box as the 13th forward and have Schroeder on the 2nd line.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#294 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'll assume your meaning a higher quality, more expensive play. So I have to ask: What do we do with that player and his cap hit when Kesler returns and puts us over the cap?

We have been talking about getting rid of 5.333M cap space for a few months now incase you haven't noticed...
Posted Image

#295 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

We could send Tanev down temporary and bring Schroeder up......we have more D than forward here

This gave me a good laugh. You do that! :)
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#296 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Can we have Schroeder back? Anythings better than what Ebbetts been doing. Literally invisible tonight.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#297 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

That's why Ebbett is a journeyman.

Give Schroeder a chance. The sooner, the better!

#298 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:22 AM

I've watched Schroeder a lot with the wolves and i think he is NHL ready. He's learned the AHL so keeping him down isn't really going to benefit him like playing in the NHL would. It's still early days though.

#299 Teemu Selänne

Teemu Selänne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

I think there's a good chance Schroeder will be called up close to the CGY game after another practice and management judging which defenseman to be sent down - likely Barker and the least likely Vandermeer IMO.

#300 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,765 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 AM

I don't know how Arniel could say Ebbett was the Wolves most noticable player. I watched most of the games, and sure he put up points, but when he's not doing that he's invisible.

At least with Schroeder when he's not putting up points, he's making good defensive plays, or at least controlling the puck in the other teams zone.

I think people will appreciate Schroeder's talent alot more now that they've seen Ebbett play.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.