308 replies to this topic

#61 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

If I'm not mistaken, any bonuses are applied to next years cap, and we all know how next years cap is getting compressed.

Hmm. Okay I see. Still, sucks for the kid to get it gypped from him.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#62 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Uh Vandermeer is on a two way deal. Wouldn't have to clear waivers. So it's not a waiver issue. Nice try though.

Given his vet status, he would have been subject to re-entry waivers if we were to call him up.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#63 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Although there are reasons for this move, I still don't see why the team couldn't have sent one of their NINE defensemen down and avoided cutting Schroeder - no matter how temporary it is - altogether.

That's what's still puzzling me.

#64 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

:picard:

Thank you EA Sports?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#65 grabnersrevenge

grabnersrevenge

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Given his vet status, he would have been subject to re-entry waivers if we were to call him up.

Thanks for the clarification.

#66 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I thought the new CBA turfed ALL re-entry waivers?

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#67 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,817 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

We don't have all the information.

#68 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

... means one of two things... kesler will be back soon or a second line center is coming to van soon via trade or signing.

Edited by BertuzziFan2010, 18 January 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#69 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Hmm, didn't realize this. I thought the team could have safely sent Vandermeer down and, voila, they'd have their final roster with Schroeder on it.

#70 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

He's been assigned to the Wolves. We'll see if he actually goes there.

Might just be a move to get to 23 players without losing anyone to waivers. He's the only one that can be re-assigned.

I have a hard time believing we'll keep Barker and Vandermeer on the roster though. We have 9 D-men right now as it is.

All true, and there have been rumblings that Kesler has looked better than expected in training so might be closer than we think. If he were to come back soon then we'd have to look at dropping someone else, and that would mean whoever stuck between Ebbett and Schroeder (leaving us with 12 forwards still) or one of the extra D (not as likely to be Alberts, but Vandermeer or Barker most likely).

Considering it without the Kesler factor, we could keep both Ebbett and Schroeder and send down one of the D now, but it's a larger risk before seeing them both in game play in case whoever goes down gets claimed. I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it as I felt Schroeder had earned his chance and had the higher ceiling vs Ebbett being the safe pick.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#71 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

re-entry waivers have been eliminated, there is no such thing anymore

#72 Anti-Bettman

Anti-Bettman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

How do you mean? He is not waiver eligible at any time as far as I understand things.

didn't realize in the new cba they got rid of re-entry waivers. my bad

* 1st in Canucks Fantasy Hockey 2011/12*

Posted ImagePosted Image

#73 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Will any of MG's draft choices ever start the season?

I understand he doesn't have to clear waivers, and his lack of NHL experience, but should we not ice the best team possible for the start of the season?

Why in the hell do we need 9 Dmen to start? Surely we could just send one down, if we lose him so be it, keep both Schroeder and Ebbett up, let whoever is playing better after a few games play, the other sit in the press box.

It's just bad asset management. Absolute waste to sign Barker or Vandermeer, waive them immediately and then lose them. If Ebbet sucks we can recall Schroeder. And send him back down without risk of losing them. They decided to go with the veteran. No one knows how either will perform right now and playing Ebbet might be the best choice for the team.

Only way to know is wait for the games. If Schroeder got in and was terrible, everyone would complain how AV/Gillis rushed him, should've played so-and-so, lost so-and-so to waivers because of this....etc. There is no way to know who is better for the team. They went with the option with less risk.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#74 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Re-entry waiver have been eliminated in the new CBA. NO MORE RE-ENTRY WAIVERS for anybody.
Posted Image

#75 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Is Booth technically still one of the 23 players or has be been put on LTIR.

Pretty sure Booth is still listed on our roster and hasn't been put on LTIR. I don't think that can be done till the first day of the season, if I'm not mistaken.

Another reason why Schroeder had to be re-assigned.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#76 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

We can only have 23 healthy players on the roster at one time. JS is number 24. I'm no sure if Booth has been placed on LTIR yet. If not, when he is then we can recall JS.

Booth and Kesler will be on IR when the roster is submitted to keep them from counting against the 23 man limit, but we'll have to see if they use LTI for either or both.

#77 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Re-entry waiver have been eliminated in the new CBA. NO MORE RE-ENTRY WAIVERS for anybody.

Ok then, I'm back to being confused. If this is the case, why didn't the team decide to send Vandermeer down? Just really puzzling.

#78 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Canucks should start trading all of their first round picks to win now. It's quite obvious by now that they do not want anything to do with prospect development in the Gillis era.

#79 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Although there are reasons for this move, I still don't see why the team couldn't have sent one of their NINE defensemen down and avoided cutting Schroeder - no matter how temporary it is - altogether.

That's what's still puzzling me.

Because there are teams out there just waiting to claim some depth for their defense. Any one of Barker, Vandermeer, or Alberts would have ben claimed if put on waivers.

I'm sure they told Schroeder that this is simply a move they had to make in order to be compliant for opening day. He'll be fine.

I would imagine after everyone's rosters are set, Gillis will put Barker or Vandermeer on waivers, and recall Schroeder.

Posted Image

#80 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,466 posts

oh canucks.com stop crying, he will be back. For crying out loud. You guys question the moves of Mike Gillis and A.V? Silly Canucks fans.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#81 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Dumb move. Played much better than ebbett . Js will likely come up when there's an injury. Why they love ebbett who knows

#82 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

It's just bad asset management. Absolute waste to sign Barker or Vandermeer, waive them immediately and then lose them. If Ebbet sucks we can recall Schroeder. And send him back down without risk of losing them. They decided to go with the veteran. No one knows how either will perform right now and playing Ebbet might be the best choice for the team.

Only way to know is wait for the games. If Schroeder got in and was terrible, everyone would complain how AV/Gillis rushed him, should've played so-and-so, lost so-and-so to waivers because of this....etc. There is no way to know who is better for the team. They went with the option with less risk.

That I agree with, I just hope when Booth is put on LTIR that he gets the call up, we need to start giving these draft choices a crack in the league, there is no way anyone can say he has been rushed, 2 years with the Moose, 2 with the Wolves, cmon.

#83 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Canucks should start trading all of their first round picks to win now. It's quite obvious by now that they do not want anything to do with prospect development in the Gillis era.

Will you suddenly pull an about face if Tanev, Jensen, Kassian & Schroeder all make the opening day roster in October?

#84 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

oh canucks.com stop crying, he will be back. For crying out loud. You guys question the moves of Mike Gillis and A.V? Silly Canucks fans.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#85 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken, any bonuses are applied to next years cap, and we all know how next years cap is getting compressed.

I don't see why that would be. They did have an option in the last CBA to defer bonuses, but they should absolutely be able to apply any bonuses gained this year against this year's cap.

Uh Vandermeer is on a two way deal. Wouldn't have to clear waivers. So it's not a waiver issue. Nice try though.

2 way contracts have nothing to do with waivers. They didn't in the last CBA, and they don't in this one either.

As mentioned already, there are no more re-entry waivers in the new CBA. He is subject to regular waivers on the way down still though, as mentioned above.

#86 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

He's been assigned to the Wolves. We'll see if he actually goes there.

Might just be a move to get to 23 players without losing anyone to waivers. He's the only one that can be re-assigned.

I have a hard time believing we'll keep Barker and Vandermeer on the roster though. We have 9 D-men right now as it is.

Exactly as DeNiro put it...it has to do with moving guys who can seamlessly move up and down without waiver issues. MG spoke about how we will see Schroeder with the Canucks this season this morning when speaking to Rintaul and Botchford (in the same interview, MG took a hard swipe at Scotty when asked a benign question about Luongo, which Scotty didn't deserve).

As well, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that AE was selected ahead of JS...MG and AV have been on record to state that a shortened season is not one where long looks and experiments can be afforded. Best case scenario as someone has mentioned, is that this move may indicate that Kesler is due back sooner than later, and under any circumstance, JS is better served as no. 1 centre in the AHL than a number 13 forward in the NHL.

#87 Dilly Canuck

Dilly Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Let's just fire AV and hire CDC for coach.

#88 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

I think this allows them to keep their options open. If they waived any of the other guys they could have been picked off by other teams, and if Schroeder has to get sent back down later they are all of a sudden short two guys. This gives Ebbett a chance to see if he can do it, and if he can't then they bring back Schroeder and risk losing one of their vets.
Posted Image

#89 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,148 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think this allows them to keep their options open. If they waived any of the other guys they could have been picked off by other teams, and if Schroeder has to get sent back down later they are all of a sudden short two guys. This gives Ebbett a chance to see if he can do it, and if he can't then they bring back Schroeder and risk losing one of their vets.

I doubt that any team would want anything to do with Cam Barker.

#90 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Will you suddenly pull an about face if Tanev, Jensen, Kassian & Schroeder all make the opening day roster in October?

A very real possibility if we win the Cup. Our UFAs following this season:

Mason Raymond
Chris Higgins
Maxim Lapierre
Manny Malhotra
Andrew Ebbett
Aaron Volpatti

Alex Edler
Andrew Alberts
Jim Vandermeer
Cam Barker

Bolded are players that will play a role if we are going to go on to win our first championship, and they'll all then be due for a pay day come July 1st. My hope is that we are able to keep Edler and Lapierre. It would be nice if we can re-sign Raymond and Higgins for cheap.

Otherwise, there is a very real chance that we start with a roster that has all 4 as you said.

ie,

D Sedin - H Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Kassian
Jensen - Schroeder - Hansen
Archibald/UFA - Lapierre - Weise

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Of course, there will be competition as I expect GMMG to fill those holes with veterans, most likely some more reclamation projects.

Edited by Dasein, 18 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.