308 replies to this topic

#91 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

Canucks should start trading all of their first round picks to win now. It's quite obvious by now that they do not want anything to do with prospect development in the Gillis era.

this idea worked out great for the L.A Kings.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#92 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

That I agree with, I just hope when Booth is put on LTIR that he gets the call up, we need to start giving these draft choices a crack in the league, there is no way anyone can say he has been rushed, 2 years with the Moose, 2 with the Wolves, cmon.

Isn't characterizing 11 games and 30 games as full seasons slightly misleading?

He had a cup of AHL coffee in '09-'10, full AHL seasons in '10-'11 & '11-'12, and less than half a season this year. More like 2 and a half seasons in the AHL.

Btw, go check out the ages and AHL games played of Detroit's young players before you go off on Schroeder's handling.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#93 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,909 posts

He's been assigned to the Wolves. We'll see if he actually goes there.

Might just be a move to get to 23 players without losing anyone to waivers. He's the only one that can be re-assigned.

I have a hard time believing we'll keep Barker and Vandermeer on the roster though. We have 9 D-men right now as it is.

This....let's wait and see what happens tomorrow.

#94 cripplereh

cripplereh

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

AV has been the best coach in our history,so cut him slack.Had to be done and we will see why.
Posted Image

#95 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,021 posts

They might as well at this point. Why not?

#96 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,236 posts

I doubt that any team would want anything to do with Cam Barker.

Don't be so sure about that. The market for defensemen isn't exactly deep right now.

Either way, not worth the risk when he can just make a move like this.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#97 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Ok then, I'm back to being confused. If this is the case, why didn't the team decide to send Vandermeer down? Just really puzzling.

Ummm... because they wanted Vandermeer in the lineup and didn't want Schroeder? Kind of an obvious answer...

There is no one else that really brings what Vandermeer brings, the team veterans expressed the need for a player like him to management. Early in the season there will be opposing players wanting to make a physical statement.

Schroeder doesn't bring anything different than Ebbett. Ebbett has been better this season in the AHL. Schroeder had one good scrimmage where he had no fear of being physically worked over. Scrimmages like that favour speedy skilled guys who may not be able to translate that kind of play when a dude like Zdeno Chara is cross-checking you in the face.

I like our team toughness if you inject Vandermeer into the mix. He lines up against an opposing goon. Volpatti suddenly only has to take on the 2nd toughest guy; Kassian the 3rd toughest; Weise the 4th toughest; Bieksa the 5th toughest; etc.

Not a lot of teams where their 5th toughest guy can beat up Bieksa. It makes everyone player bigger and better.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#98 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Isn't characterizing 11 games and 30 games as full seasons slightly misleading?

He had a cup of AHL coffee in '09-'10, full AHL seasons in '10-'11 & '11-'12, and less than half a season this year. More like 2 and a half seasons in the AHL.

Btw, go check out the ages and AHL games played of Detroit's young players before you go off on Schroeder's handling.

He has still had 4 yrs in the AHL, no matter how many games. I am starting to worry about our drafting expertise when the players we draft are being sent down to start the season year after year after year.

Schroeder is ready now, he is more skilled than Ebbett, so maybe I can eat all my words if he is re-called back tomorrow once Booth is put on LTIR.

#99 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

AFAIK, Canucks will have Kesler and Booth on their roster to start the season, and THEN put them on LTIR. This maximizes the amount of cap relief they will get.

So as soon as the paperwork for that is done, it would not surprise me to see Schroeder back on the team immediately. He may have not even leave Vancouver.
Posted Image

#100 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Schroeder is ready now, he is more skilled than Ebbett, so maybe I can eat all my words if he is re-called back tomorrow once Booth is put on LTIR.

Do you have any actual facts to back that up? Ebbett has outscored him in the AHL on top of being much better defensively (+/-). Kassian got more points than him plus gives you physical play even if he isn't piling up points.

Edited by Provost, 18 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#101 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

He has still had 4 yrs in the AHL, no matter how many games. I am starting to worry about our drafting expertise when the players we draft are being sent down to start the season year after year after year.

So does Jensen, with his 8 games of AHL experience, also have a year of AHL experience under his belt then? Ridiculous.

Schroeder has had 2.5 seasons of AHL experience.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#102 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I rather lappy manny higgins or even alberts as 2nd line center over ebbett

#103 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

It's the Corrado situation all over again. What's the point of inviting the guy to camp if no matter what he does he can't make the team? **** me. What a joke.

The experience is good for a guy like Corrado even if he has no chance of making the team. Ask him if he was happier being invited to camp. The answer is a big yes.

With Schroeder, he will get plenty of chances in the future. For a young guy who needs practice in all situation being with the Wolves is better than being 13th man on the Canucks -- a role now occupied by Vandameer.

And Ebbett will be on a short leash. If the 2nd line does not produce, Schroeder will be back up and he is also the first call-up to replace an injury (and there will be injuries).

#104 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

You guys realize he can't be plucked off of waivers? It's the only move that makes sense. Ebbett would probably be scooped up. Send him down, and then call him back up shortly after.

#105 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

Whomever didn't see that coming is blind. As much as I want Schroeder with the big club I knew AV would go with Ebbett. What a blow to the kids confidence though. AV is making a mistake Imo..

Exactly...but I understand AV's move.

You're down 2 of your top 6 forwards. You feel 'safer' in a shortened season with a guy who's at least had a decent amount of NHL experience if they bring the same thing. In a full season, I think Schroeder would have got the shot because, makes a few errors, they lose a few games = growing pains, in a 45 game schedule you lose a few in a row and you're in trouble.

Its simply risk aversion / here and now vs. thinking long term. AV clearly thinks right now is not the time to worry about 3 years down the road. I am sure it was a hard call for him.

#106 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Canucks should start trading all of their first round picks to win now. It's quite obvious by now that they do not want anything to do with prospect development in the Gillis era.

No doubt, it's not no man left behind it's no kid gets a chance.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#107 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

They should have at least given him a chance. Poor guy. I could see him being part of an upcoming trade

Edited by Mr. White, 18 January 2013 - 03:13 PM.

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#108 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

For the love of....

He's gonna get called up very soon, ffs. What's so hard to grasp about that?!

#109 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Do you have any actual facts to back that up? Ebbett has outscored him in the AHL on top of being much better defensively (+/-). Kassian got more points than him plus gives you physical play even if he isn't piling up points.

Ebbett couldn't stick with Anaheim, or Chicago or Minnesota or Phoenix.. He has had more than enough chances in the NHL with many teams, now all of a sudden he is a 2nd line player for the Canucks? LOL

Sorry man, I am more about giving a player WE DRAFTED a chance more so than a player who has trouble even staying in the league.

So does Jensen, with his 8 games of AHL experience, also have a year of AHL experience under his belt then? Ridiculous.

Schroeder has had 2.5 seasons of AHL experience.

Playing experience, he was still around the club while being injured, taking part with team meetings, etc.

Regardless, Schroeder >>>>>>>>>>>>> Ebbett.

Edited by vancanfan, 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM.

#110 Dilly Canuck

Dilly Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

The problem is we dont know what the hell we got with JS because he's never been given a shot to play in an NHL game. And quite frankly I don't know what the hell we got with Ebbet in a second line center role either, but if he struggles we can throw someone like Volpatti on waivers and recall JS.

I find that unlikely though because I have a feeling we're getting a Gomez/Connolly or ?????? to play real soon...

#111 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

As one poster astutely said, this may just be cap management, where Booth and Kes are put on LTIR tomorrow and he's 'brought back up' ...when he really didn't even go to Chi....

#112 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

As one poster astutely said, this may just be cap management, where Booth and Kes are put on LTIR tomorrow and he's 'brought back up' ...when he really didn't even go to Chi....

Maybe this post will end all the:

:frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: :frantic:
?

#113 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,236 posts

AFAIK, Canucks will have Kesler and Booth on their roster to start the season, and THEN put them on LTIR. This maximizes the amount of cap relief they will get.

So as soon as the paperwork for that is done, it would not surprise me to see Schroeder back on the team immediately. He may have not even leave Vancouver.

The fact that he was not included among the players in the Canucks or Wolves official press release, makes me think they have other plans.

If they really do want him to go back to the Wolves, I would imagine he would be on the first flight out today, and playing tonight for the Wolves. We'll see.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#114 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

So with Booth and Kesler both still on the roster, we have 24 players - 13 forwards, 9 D and 2 goalies. So assuming Kes and Booth are both on IR as of tomorrow, that would open up an extra forward spot, which would go to the best forward available, which is Schroeder.

I'm officially okay with this move, and kudos to everyone who kept a level head and pointed out that the whole thing was just smart waiver management.

#115 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ya, Stexx did a great run down in the Schroeder (prospect) thread. We'll know by tonight I guess, the Wolves are playing at 5:30 pm our time, it's not inconceivable that he could make it to Chi town by then.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#116 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,408 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ebbett or Schroeder...

Hmmm... Can i pick option 3?
Posted Image

#117 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,396 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

You realize that the vast majority of their roster was developed from within right? Brown,bernier, Clifford, Doughty, Kopitar, Lewis, Loktionov, Martinez, Nolan, Parse, Quick, and Voynov were all drafted and developed by L.A.

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#118 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

Whomever didn't see that coming is blind. As much as I want Schroeder with the big club I knew AV would go with Ebbett. What a blow to the kids confidence though. AV is making a mistake Imo..

coaches dont send players down , Schroeder = Bust

Gillis track record for the draft just keeps on getting worse

Edited by ccc44, 18 January 2013 - 03:28 PM.

Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#119 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

:picard:

Last year we were told that "if a player deserves to be on the team" we'll make the adjustments to put him there.

Lets see if those adjustments are made?

we have too many player 23 IS THE MAX for roster lineup he is not waive eglible...come on why do cdc have short term memory?

#120 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I look forward to seeing him in the lineup soon
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.