The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

It's just bad asset management. Absolute waste to sign Barker or Vandermeer, waive them immediately and then lose them. If Ebbet sucks we can recall Schroeder. And send him back down without risk of losing them. They decided to go with the veteran. No one knows how either will perform right now and playing Ebbet might be the best choice for the team.

Only way to know is wait for the games. If Schroeder got in and was terrible, everyone would complain how AV/Gillis rushed him, should've played so-and-so, lost so-and-so to waivers because of this....etc. There is no way to know who is better for the team. They went with the option with less risk.

He's been assigned to the Wolves. We'll see if he actually goes there.

Might just be a move to get to 23 players without losing anyone to waivers. He's the only one that can be re-assigned.

I have a hard time believing we'll keep Barker and Vandermeer on the roster though. We have 9 D-men right now as it is.

I think this allows them to keep their options open. If they waived any of the other guys they could have been picked off by other teams, and if Schroeder has to get sent back down later they are all of a sudden short two guys. This gives Ebbett a chance to see if he can do it, and if he can't then they bring back Schroeder and risk losing one of their vets.

I think this allows them to keep their options open. If they waived any of the other guys they could have been picked off by other teams, and if Schroeder has to get sent back down later they are all of a sudden short two guys. This gives Ebbett a chance to see if he can do it, and if he can't then they bring back Schroeder and risk losing one of their vets.

Isn't characterizing 11 games and 30 games as full seasons slightly misleading?

He had a cup of AHL coffee in '09-'10, full AHL seasons in '10-'11 & '11-'12, and less than half a season this year. More like 2 and a half seasons in the AHL.

Btw, go check out the ages and AHL games played of Detroit's young players before you go off on Schroeder's handling.

AFAIK, Canucks will have Kesler and Booth on their roster to start the season, and THEN put them on LTIR. This maximizes the amount of cap relief they will get.

So as soon as the paperwork for that is done, it would not surprise me to see Schroeder back on the team immediately. He may have not even leave Vancouver.

Archived