308 replies to this topic

#181 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,312 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I do hope that JS gets a shot though. There are tons of athletes that have been disregarded based on size but then go on to prove that it isn't a factor. Doug Flutie (football), Spud Webb (Bball), Muggsy Bogues(Bball), Theo Fluery. Even St. Louis went undrafted because of his size and went on to prove everyone wrong. Even as recently as Brad Marchant who is about the same height is doing well (granted he's a big douche).

Well the fact that so many people on here think that being 6'0" gives a player that much more of an advantage then being 5'9".

When you're a fast skater, and an elite playmaker, being 5'9" doesn't really deter you any more than being 6'0" and an average skater.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#182 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

Ebbett is NOT that terrible of a player. He averages about 30 points a season if he was able to stick around. Due to his size and a couple other things, he'll never be a regular NHL'er, but more of a journeyman.

Ebbett is great at what he does, he's a wonderful 13th forward I'll give him that. I just cringe at him being in the top six for any length of time.

FWYIerW.png

#183 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,744 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

"In Weise we trust."

#184 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

I don't want to be sent down though :c
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#185 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I guess Ebbett won the battle royal with Shroeder for that number two center spot then eh.

#186 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

We've posted the exact same thing right after each other in like 3 threads. :lol:

It's no coincidence that I pay closer attention to the posts you guys make when I see them in a thread, you both make good points very consistently.

#187 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Vandemeer is on 2 way contract. He could've been sent down without waivers.
Posted Image

#188 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

It's no coincidence that I pay closer attention to the posts you guys make when I see them in a thread, you both make good points very consistently.

Everyone can leave now. It's a 3 way love fest between me, Remy, and DeNiro now.

That's not how it works. 2 way has nothing to do with waivers, even though EA wants you to think it does.

Edited by BananaMash, 18 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

FWYIerW.png

#189 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

All this talk of Schroeder is making me think that people shouldn't be allowed to post their opinion about prospects unless they've watched them play in a reasonable amount of games. Or if they listen to the people who have before posting and realize that those people know way more about the prospect than them and their opinion should objectively be considered more valuable.

#190 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

> I'm guessing that's about as deep as your ability to assess players goes...

Don't forget that AV sided with me, not you. Otherwise Ebbett wouldn't be on the team, and Schroeder wouldn't be heading for Chicago. I take it Gillis and Vigneault don't have the ability fo assess players either, right?

> Cause clearly there's a direct correlation between AHL stats and NHL stats...

There is actually. As I pointed out earlier, it's 0.44. Here's a report on the matter. There are others out there as well. Here's one from BTN.

> Ebbett was gifted with first line minutes constantly, and got to play with the best players on the team.

Schroeder's played with Sterling and Kassian too. If you look up the last 5 or 10 points he scored, you'll find both Kassian and Sterling listed in the box-score.

Edited by bloodycanuckleheads, 18 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:41 PM by BloodyCanuckleheads

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#191 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

AV lovers are the worst. He's a failure of coach and can't develop prospects. How much more evidence do you need? How many more years of failure do you need to see? AV is a joke of a coach and should be canned ASAP!

I've never seen so many users go full retard in one thread. Fire AV is just one example of many. Just really amazing how so many people can be so ignorant on an issue. Sigh.

I don't want to be sent down though :c

It's okay you're safe, Canucks don't have any prospect named Jordan Schroder in their system. Close one though. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#192 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Don't forget that AV sided with me, not you. Otherwise Ebbett wouldn't be on the team, and Schroeder wouldn't be heading for Chicago. I take it Gillis and Vigneault don't have the ability fo assess players either, right?

This is actually. As I pointed out earlier, it's 0.44. Here's a report on the matter. There are others out there as well. Here's one from BTN.

> Ebbett was gifted with first line minutes constantly, and got to play with the best players on the team.

Schroeder's played with Sterling and Kassian too. If you look up the last 5 or 10 points he scored, you'll find both Kassian and Sterling listed in the box-score.

Enough of this, we all know Schroeder is better
Posted Image

#193 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,401 posts

This is actually. As I pointed out earlier, it's 0.44. Here's a report on the matter. There are others out there as well. Here's one from BTN.

Stats don't always correlated like that. Look at Hodgson, he was very lukewarm in the AHL and was great when he finally got his NHL chance. Schroeder's been shuffled around (just like everyone else) in the Wolves lineup because Arniel has no idea how to let players for chemistry.

He was just starting to pick up his play prior to camp. Using stats and averages is a poor way to justify an argument when there are plenty of anomalies to your argument. Krog, Aucoin, Sterling, Haydar, all AHL beasts who can't put it together in the NHL. And it goes the other way too.

Edited by BananaMash, 18 January 2013 - 06:00 PM.

FWYIerW.png

#194 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

That's not how it works. 2 way has nothing to do with waivers, even though EA wants you to think it does.

Who is EA?
Posted Image

#195 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

so what your saying is if he played with them every night he would get more points right.

Edited by surtur, 18 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#196 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,401 posts

Who is EA?

EA sports (NHL series). It's just one of the common reason people are confused about how 2 way and 1 way contracts work. Waivers is actually dependent on age and games played, one way and two way just defines AHL and NHL salaries.

FWYIerW.png

#197 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

All this talk of Schroeder is making me think that people shouldn't be allowed to post their opinion about prospects unless they've watched them play in a reasonable amount of games. Or if they listen to the people who have before posting and realize that those people know way more about the prospect than them and their opinion should objectively be considered more valuable.

And you are posting why?
Posted Image

#198 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

> Look at Hodgson, he was very lukewarm in the AHL and was great when he finally got his NHL chance.

You mean the chance where the Canucks manipulated his zone-starts so as to artificially inflate his stats (so they could trade him)?

I could definitely see Grabner going. He seems to have done his best to play his way out the door (and Gillis seems to be the smartest GM we've ever had, so, put two and two together)...

#199 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I've never seen so many users go full retard in one thread. Fire AV is just one example of many. Just really amazing how so many people can be so ignorant on an issue. Sigh.

More proof that CDC users are mostly dumb 15 year olds who don't read 3 posts ahead before posting. These kids need to be lurkers and nothing more.

Keswho.jpg

#200 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

> Look at Hodgson, he was very lukewarm in the AHL and was great when he finally got his NHL chance.

You mean the chance where the Canucks manipulated his zone-starts so as to artificially inflate his stats (so they could trade him)?

Give me a break. He was solid on the ice every night. Yes he did get the cushy minutes, but there was no part of his game that was "bad". You could try that on any player, it wouldn't work on someone like Volpatti for instance. They have to have skill to begin with. Your logic has way too many holes in it.

FWYIerW.png

#201 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

The number of players on waivers doesn't have any effect on good players being claimed. If anything, today would be the last day that GMs make their final tweaks by getting any depth guys they can off waivers.

If you put a player on waivers tomorrow before teams have even played, I doubt GMs will be looking to make upgrades as much.

Your second sentence seems to infer that you disagree with your own argument and actually agree with me.

They had to get down to 23 players by today. If you are suggesting that sending down Schroeder today, recalling him tomorrow and then waiving another player... then that makes no sense. There is no difference between today and tomorrow as far as "before teams have even played".

There certainly is a difference in whether a player gets picked up or not depending on when they get waived. Every team is dropping bodies today, there will be a ton of guys on the wire. Lots of them will be of the calibre of Barker/Vandermeer/Ebbett... it is not like we would be trying to sneak in waiving a Sedin or something. Teams who have to drop their own guys are not likely to then pick up one of ours (and then have to expose yet another of their players to the wire to get under the roster max).

I gave the reasons why doing it later as you suggested would be worse. A player could stink up the joint or get hurt, resulting in you needing to fill the gap.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#202 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,312 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Give me a break. He was solid on the ice every night. Yes he did get the cushy minutes, but there was no part of his game that was "bad". You could try that on any player, it wouldn't work on someone like Volpatti for instance. They have to have skill to begin with. Your logic has way too many holes in it.

Yea, it's not fair to say that his points were somehow handed to him. He earned most of his points with his skill.

And as far as his cushy minutes, it's no different than what teams do with most of their rookie prospects.

But at the same time, he has yet to prove that he can produce outside of those protected minutes. Time will tell if he can be a true number 1 centerman, and play in all situations.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 January 2013 - 06:13 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#203 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yea, it's not fair to say that his points were somehow handed to him. He earned most of his points with his skill.

And as far as his cushy minutes, it's no different than what teams do with most of their rookie prospects.

But at the same time, he has yet to prove that he can produce outside of those protected minutes. Time will tell if he can be a true number 1 centerman, and play in all situations.

Either way, I feel he proved he has a top-6 tool set (whether that's on the 2nd or 1st line, time will tell), and was able to pretty much lead our 2nd powerplay unit, which is something hardly anyone else has managed to do while we're rolling the Sedins with Kesler.

FWYIerW.png

#204 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for reading any of the first few pages in this thread!

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#205 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,365 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

So if AV and MG were going to send JS down despite him looking very good with MR and Kass, why play him on that line in what turns out to be the last scrimmage before the real thing?!!

#206 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Maybe this means that the Canucks are closing in on Gomez?

#207 bloodycanuckleheads

bloodycanuckleheads

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

> Give me a break. He was solid on the ice every night. Yes he did get the cushy minutes, but there was no part of his game that was "bad".

Your point was that Hodgson played poorly in the AHL and great in the NHL (so AHL performance has no correllation with NHL performance). That's not true in the slightest. He didn't score as much in the AHL cause, if you remember, he was badly hurt at the time (with the worst possible injury too - a bad back). Then, once he did make the NHL, he got better starts than any rookie in the world. The team even admitted to juking his stats that way. Also of note: His stats dropped quite a bit, despite getting 1st line minutes, after he was traded.

#208 Remy

Remy

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

So if AV and MG were going to send JS down despite him looking very good with MR and Kass, why play him on that line in what turns out to be the last scrimmage before the real thing?!!

Your question has been answered many, many times in the previous pages and posts of this thread.

#209 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Don't agree at all but I believe everyone except vandermeer was one way contracts..

Couldve sent Barker...dont need to be on a two way to send them down, and no one would be picking him up

#210 WillyFox

WillyFox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Pretty disappointed thought he would be given a chance to play in the top nine, its true AV dosent like to play the younger players over some of the vets.. Also I'd like to see him at least be given a chance to prove he can be a NHL player. You need young guys to contribute to your team while they get paid less.
GO Canucks GO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.