The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

I've run the gambit of emotions on this but instead of crying on the forums i did some reading. as a hockey fan this decision seems like it should only be about hockey.  and if that were the case (meaning contracts weren't a thing) barker gets sent down 10 times out of 10.  We all know contracts are indeed real soo what we're left with is something of a head scrathcer at the moment.  So if you've already hit the panic button (which reading through, most have) try to realize booth and kesler's salaries are still against our cap.  jordan can't get plucked off waivers, its not worth risking a healthy versatile ebbett or anyone else just to have JS in the season opener.  kes and maybe booth will be put on LTIR there will be cap space.  he will be back and he will play some games.  come back from that ledge my friends.

Yes, and so much so that they had a surplus of great young players whom they did not have room on the roster for.

So rather than rot them; they turned two superb players into an even more useful veteran Richards.

(and they did not trade them for prospects who would not help them for a year or two...)

You realize that the vast majority of their roster was developed from within right? Brown,bernier, Clifford, Doughty, Kopitar, Lewis, Loktionov, Martinez, Nolan, Parse, Quick, and Voynov were all drafted and developed by L.A.

AFAIK, Canucks will have Kesler and Booth on their roster to start the season, and THEN put them on LTIR. This maximizes the amount of cap relief they will get.

So as soon as the paperwork for that is done, it would not surprise me to see Schroeder back on the team immediately. He may have not even leave Vancouver.

Exactly. I see Barker, Vandermeer, or Volpatti being put on waivers so that they can go to the Wolves.

The likihood of them getting claimed after teams rosters are set goes way down.

It has never been this teams practice to carry 9 D-men though. That's kind of overkill. If we were to have an injury up front now, we would have to put a D-man on waivers, wait for him to clear, and then call up a forward. It seems more logical to just carry an extra forward and two extra D.

Unless of course Vandermeer is our fourth line option. That seems less than ideal though.

Archived