308 replies to this topic

#211 Iron_Gland

Iron_Gland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I had less interest than usual about this season, mainly because of the lockout but also because AV is still here. Now I have almost zero interest in watching Saturday's game with Schroeder not playing. I highly doubt Kassian gets much ice time either but Raymond will stay on no matter how useless he is in a regular season game.

#212 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

ahhahahahahahahahahaha
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#213 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

All this talk of Schroeder is making me think that people shouldn't be allowed to post their opinion about prospects unless they've watched them play in a reasonable amount of games. Or if they listen to the people who have before posting and realize that those people know way more about the prospect than them and their opinion should objectively be considered more valuable.

I remember when I and a number of other rugby guys roomed in a house together. We had a few girls over and were watching hockey, when one of the girls said, "That guy must be good, he's cute!" That is an uninformed opinion, and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Now, most people would realize that (even if similar thoughts do get posted here) but if you want to post your opinion without any real backing or knowledge of why you think that other than an arbitrary belief, following someone else's opinion, or limited observation, then be prepared to have some one argue that you don't know what you're talking about.

In short, everyone is allowed to post their opinion but with knowledgeable people on this board, be prepared to defend it - particularly if you want to make outlandish and/or negative statements. If you aren't prepared to defend it with proper backing, continuing to stand beside your opinion and argue with other posters isn't a wise idea.

I wanted, and even predicted, Schroeder would stick, but I was wrong. I didn't think there would be any risk for some of the players passing waivers, and maybe there isn't and it's just about needing more evaluation time in a shortened training camp. I thought about it the opposite way, with Schroeder needing more evaluation time, but him being waiver eligible and others not, and possibly with uncertainty over who will benefit us the best, he was sent down.

It isn't a reflection on Schroeder's ability as far as we know at this point.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#214 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Maybe this means that the Canucks are closing in on Gomez?

Apparently the team has zero interest in Gomez.

#215 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yea, it's not fair to say that his points were somehow handed to him. He earned most of his points with his skill.

And as far as his cushy minutes, it's no different than what teams do with most of their rookie prospects.

But at the same time, he has yet to prove that he can produce outside of those protected minutes. Time will tell if he can be a true number 1 centerman, and play in all situations.

Yup, even in easier minutes, he still had to score or assist on goals.

People have still been talking about Arnott as a possibility for our center opening, but he was given more sheltered minutes last year as well. It doesn't mean his points aren't valid, but it does mean he may not be suitable for a defensive, checking role any more at this point in his career.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#216 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Pretty disappointed thought he would be given a chance to play in the top nine, its true AV dosent like to play the younger players over some of the vets.. Also I'd like to see him at least be given a chance to prove he can be a NHL player. You need young guys to contribute to your team while they get paid less.

People need to lay off of AV on this. It wasnt just his decision, and JS can move up and down without having to clear waivers. Thats the only reason they sent his down over anyone else. A normal roster will always hold extra defencemen over extra forwards. Ebbett would have had to pass through waivers thus they didnt want to risk losing him

#217 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,312 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I remember when I and a number of other rugby guys roomed in a house together. We had a few girls over and were watching hockey, when one of the girls said, "That guy must be good, he's cute!" That is an uninformed opinion, and doesn't add anything to the discussion.

Now, most people would realize that (even if similar thoughts do get posted here) but if you want to post your opinion without any real backing or knowledge of why you think that other than an arbitrary belief, following someone else's opinion, or limited observation, then be prepared to have some one argue that you don't know what you're talking about.

In short, everyone is allowed to post their opinion but with knowledgeable people on this board, be prepared to defend it - particularly if you want to make outlandish and/or negative statements. If you aren't prepared to defend it with proper backing, continuing to stand beside your opinion and argue with other posters isn't a wise idea.

I wanted, and even predicted, Schroeder would stick, but I was wrong. I didn't think there would be any risk for some of the players passing waivers, and maybe there isn't and it's just about needing more evaluation time in a shortened training camp. I thought about it the opposite way, with Schroeder needing more evaluation time, but him being waiver eligible and others not, and possibly with uncertainty over who will benefit us the best, he was sent down.

It isn't a reflection on Schroeder's ability as far as we know at this point.

Your long winded way of saying you think Schroeder is cuter than Ebbett.
Posted Image

#218 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

I had less interest than usual about this season, mainly because of the lockout but also because AV is still here. Now I have almost zero interest in watching Saturday's game with Schroeder not playing. I highly doubt Kassian gets much ice time either but Raymond will stay on no matter how useless he is in a regular season game.

So you were a Canucks fan because of a player that hasn't even played for the team?

I think Kassian actually will get ice time. AV likes his tough players. Especially tough players that actually have skill. I would think Kassian will be one of his favorites.

How else does someone like Byron Bitz ever get to play with the Sedins? AV has a soft spot for tough guys.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#219 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

So you were a Canucks fan because of a player that hasn't even played for the team?

I think Kassian actually will get ice time. AV likes his tough players. Especially tough players that actually have skill. I would think Kassian will be one of his favorites.

How else does someone like Byron Bitz ever get to play with the Sedins? AV has a soft spot for tough guys.

Or is it a tough spot for soft guys?

#220 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think AV has a soft spot for "gritty pluggers", because all he was in his useless career. I'm not saying that's why Schroeder was sent down though, just the feeling I get from Viggy.

Posted Image

#221 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Your question has been answered many, many times in the previous pages and posts of this thread.

Well..thank you very much!

#222 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

are you serious ROSTER LIMIT ROSTER LIMIT he would not NEED to clear roster.........CDC has the worst IQ ever!

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#223 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Why is this being ignored?

Prior to the decision on Schroeder being made public, GM Mike Gillis told the Canucks flagship radio station that he expects to see the Minnesota native back at some point during the abbreviated season.

“If Jordan Schroeder doesn't start with us, we fully anticipate him playing meaningful games for us very shortly,” Gillis said.

According to Vigneault, Gillis and his assistants, Lorne Henning and Laurence Gilman, examined “all the dynamics” when making

their roster moves.

“There is not just the on-ice component that's going to go into the decision,” Vigneault said. “There are (salary) cap dynamics.”

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2INhyLY8y

Does that not calm 99% of who are freaking out about him being sent down?

Posted Image

#224 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

its too bad, it should just be about the on ice-product. but this year with injuries and how the canucks operate that cannot always be the only attribute going into a decision.

#225 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

look out our second line tomorrow against the ducks. We've been without nucks hockey for some time now. Do you want to see them lose because we have andrew ebett on our second line and probably our second pp? Especially when we have a young canucks first rounded that had a good camp and EARNED a spot getting shafted. No it does kot calm me whatsoever.

Posted Image

#freetorts

-Credit to blueberries-

#226 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

He wasnt strong enough.

#227 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Gillis said Schroeder would get some games last season too, which obviously never happened.

Lets hope he gets a chance before his spot disappears.

Posted Image

#228 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Schroeder not in the Wolves line up tonight, possibly not even in Chicago.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#229 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

a
MG isn't always a man of his word. He pretty much guaranteed SChroeder would see time last year, and of course he didn't.
I also can't confirm this but didn't he also say he qualified Gragnani?
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#230 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Gillis said Schroeder would get some games last season too, which obviously never happened.

Lets hope he gets a chance before his spot disappears.

This, he could give pinocchio a run for his money
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#231 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

Meh. People only want to see Schroeder play so that they can judge if he will be a NHL bust or not.

He will get his chance.
Posted Image

#232 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:12 PM

This, he could give pinocchio a run for his money

ah revisionist history is great isnt it. the canucks couldnt fit him under the salary cap last year, they wanted to bring him up but they did not want to waive a player that they needed for the playoff run for a rookie to get his feet wet.

Can hardly blame MG for that there is a fine line between being a contender and a pretender and you dont become a contender by giving spots to rookies that arent quite ready which schroeder clearly was last year. This year i would argue he is deserving of some games. although when kesler comes back he wont be on the team.

#233 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,313 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

ah revisionist history is great isnt it. the canucks couldnt fit him under the salary cap last year, they wanted to bring him up but they did not want to waive a player that they needed for the playoff run for a rookie to get his feet wet.

Can hardly blame MG for that there is a fine line between being a contender and a pretender and you dont become a contender by giving spots to rookies that arent quite ready which schroeder clearly was last year. This year i would argue he is deserving of some games. although when kesler comes back he wont be on the team.

True. But there's also a fine line, between having a future and not. The fact that we have barely any young players with NHL experience is a little scary to think about.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of winning, in order to help prepare for the future. But it seems that the desire to win another President's trophy outweighed that.

Posted Image

#234 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

True. But there's also a fine line, between having a future and not. The fact that we have barely any young players with NHL experience is a little scary to think about.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little bit of winning, in order to help prepare for the future. But it seems that the desire to win another President's trophy outweighed that.

very true its a fine line, and in a shortened season that line is pretty darn thin to even make the playoffs. schroeder played very well hope to see him up here soon i love the way he plays.

#235 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Apparently the team has zero interest in Gomez.

Maybe not, but that could have just been AV denying before it gets out. For what its worth insiderrumours.com (@hockeyyinsiderr) says they are the frontrunners...

#236 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

WOW. I am officially not a fan of AV.

Oh wait. I never was

Can't believe people were happy with the re-signing, all we will see it more playoff failures and promising prospects being ushered away under AV.

Darren Haydar anyone??

Oh god no.. :sick: :picard:

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 18 January 2013 - 08:08 PM.

zackass.png

#237 Haikara

Haikara

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Canucks need to learn a little from Philly. Philly let all their youngsters play and they were rewarded for it.
Posted Image

#238 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Yeah I was listening to Gillis talk about it on the Team before he was sent down and that crossed my mind aswell, I think he will get his shot, I don't see anyway you could blatantly look off the chemistry he and Raymond had.

I expect him to be here shortly. (Hopefully for Sunday, Won tickets to the game ::D)

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 18 January 2013 - 08:13 PM.

zackass.png

#239 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Maybe not, but that could have just been AV denying before it gets out. For what its worth insiderrumours.com (@hockeyyinsiderr) says they are the frontrunners...

MG said we didn't either, and honestly I believe them, I doubt we do myself.

zackass.png

#240 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

He will be called up cause ebbett is terrible as a 2nd line mainstay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.