The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] - Schroeder sent down

The amount of naivetee in this thread is just staggering!...

Schroeder wasn't sent down because AV is an idiot. He wasn't sent down because AV likes grinders or hates rookies. And he wasn't sent down solely because of waivers (although that was a big part of it).

He was sent down because he's five foot nine and weighs less than 180lbs.

Everyone here makes fun of Mason Raymond for falling down all the time whenever someone barely touches him - yet, you all want someone smaller. Considerably smaller. Seriously? And, you want to put him on Raymond's line??? After getting man-handled by the Bruins in the final, you seriously want to get easier to push around??? Just imagine the liberties teams would take with the Sedins on the top line and Raymond/Schroeder on the 2nd. It would be embarrassing. We'd have to change the team's name to the Vancouver Ragdolls.

The AHL to NHL equivalency is 0.44. Schroeder has had 19 points in 30 games (or 0.6333PPG) with a negative +/- in the AHL (there are about 5 or 6 other non-NHL leagues which are ranked higher than the AHL in quality, and he's not exactly tearing it up down there). So, you can expect him to score 0.278PPG in the NHL this year, or less than 13 points. We can rather easily get those 13 points from someone who's 5 inches taller, 50lbs heavier, and a lot meaner. Players his size have to score almost twice as much in the AHL to even have a shot at the big leagues (go look up Keith Aucoin to see how dominant he is in the AHL, yet hasn'b been able to crack an NHL lineup in decades - and he's bigger than Schroeder).

Maybe half this board should calm down and relax to see how it plays out before all the hate bashing and insults come out. I swear every time there is the slightest rumor, hearsay or moves that don't immediately explain themselves, half the people on these boards freak out and demands that heads roll.

Kudos to the patient ones on this thread who didn't lose it and understand that sometimes things are done for a reason and that reason may not be clear at first.

Personally I think JS does deserve a spot on this roster over AB but just because he was sent down today doesn't mean he won't play at all this season. There is a lot more going on inside the locker rooms and offices that we fans don't see so I'd rather be patient than jump to conclusions based on a couple televised scrimmage games.

I do hope that JS gets a shot though. There are tons of athletes that have been disregarded based on size but then go on to prove that it isn't a factor. Doug Flutie (football), Spud Webb (Bball), Muggsy Bogues(Bball), Theo Fluery. Even St. Louis went undrafted because of his size and went on to prove everyone wrong. Even as recently as Brad Marchant who is about the same height is doing well (granted he's a big douche).

I'm guessing that's about as deep as your ability to assess players goes...

Why do we have scouts when Gillis can just check hockeydb.com and get their stats.

Lets just sign all the unsigned players that are leading the AHL in scoring. Cause clearly there's a direct correlation between AHL stats and NHL stats...

Archived