#241 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Schroeder will be back.

MG did say the exact same thing last year when he stated Schroeder would play games with the big club....

This year is different. Kesler and Booth are both out, I think Schroeder will definitely get a chance to showcase.

Ebbett won't be able to handle the 2nd line pressure. I don't see the 2nd line doing a whole lot. Raymond isn't very much considered a 2nd liner, and Ebbett is only a depth player. Kassian also doesn't have a whole lot of experience in the NHL.

We'll see what happens.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#242 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Brutal.

I have watched enough wolves games this season to see Ebbett isn't even a solid AHL player nvm a NHL 2nd liner.

Schroeder has a much better all around game and far more potential while Ebbett is good as he will ever be and that's not very good. From what I've seen Ebbett is nothing but a plug that doesn't really bring any assets to team and has several weaknesses.

Dumb move which is worrying because with 2 of top players out we will need some decent coaching.

#243 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

Just shut up about Gillis. You cant argue with the on ice product, we've contended every year since hes been in office. I used to not like AV but Ive realized that compared to these guys i know **** all so as long as they keep winning, im happy.

I know i couldn't coach or manage this team, a wack of you need to also come to that realization.

Theres a difference between opinion and ignorance...

Edited by frazzY, 18 January 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#244 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Everyone's disappointed - but too few people take into account cap issues which obviously played into this (MG and AV have said as much). Schroeder will get his chance, quite possibly later this season and/if injuries occur. He's still young, he's not a premiere player that can step in and make a huge difference. And we know Ebbet is dependable, even if he isn't someone that'll put up huge numbers.

Everyone's losing their minds over a player that hasn't even dominated the AHL. Take a breather - we all want him, and the team to do well. Wait until either of those things happen or don't to lose it.

#245 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Just shut up about Gillis. You cant argue with the on ice product, we've contended every year since hes been in office. I used to not like AV but Ive realized that compared to these guys i know **** all so as long as they keep winning, im happy.

I know i couldn't coach or manage this team, a wack of you need to also come to that realization.

Theres a difference between opinion and ignorance...

I nominate this as an early favorite for post of the year candidate.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#246 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Canucks need to learn a little from Philly. Philly let all their youngsters play and they were rewarded for it.

What was the reward they received?... Seems to me the kings were the ones rewarded with carter and Richards playing for them.

#247 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Counter to this is maybe they felt they didn't want to put too much pressure on Schroeder.

If you think about how they were grooming CoHo it was the following:

1. Put him on the third line where there wasn't alot of offensive pressure, chip in where you can and its gravy.

2. Play well defensively, learn from Kelser and Sedin.

3. Learn the nuances, finer points of the game with less pressure. Faceoffs, play against better, faster players, etc.

4. Once you show AV that you start getting some spot duty on the PP to allow your offensive instincts to get back into your game now at the NHL level.

5. 20 pts, 30pts, 40 pts, then you're ready for the second line....

6. Only issue was CoHo's daddy cried....

Thats the transition folks, maybe they just feel he's too close and don't want to bust him with alot of pressure out of the gates (2nd line offensive, defensive responsibilities, etc in a shortened season when even his linemates aren't proven).

He'll be called back up but just not right away. AV knows what he's doing as does MG. They want this kid to succeed and have him on the path to.

People on here often seem to forget the Canucks groom their players differently. You learn to play responsibly defensively first then you get to get the ice for the pts. If his game isn't quite there yet defensively playing poorly could really crush this kid who's kept working hard and is doing all the right things...

He'll be a canuck and his size won't hold him back (didn't for ronning and he was terrific, and schroeder can be another ronning), just maybe leave it to the pros to make the right calls on development.

Edited by BuretoMogilny, 18 January 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#248 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

This is easily the most frustrating thread I've ever seen.

This is purely a waivers issue.

He's on the team - he's being rewarded for playing exceptionally well in camp.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 19 January 2013 - 08:13 AM.
Removed all the vitriol

Keswho.jpg

#249 theo5789

theo5789

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Waivers is one thing, but I watched a couple of practices along with both open scrimmages and this could have something to do with their play as well. Schroeder had flashes of good play, but nothing that necessarily won him the 2nd line spot. For those that watched the open practices should've noticed that he was getting run over all over the ice. During faceoff practice, he would win like 1 in every 10 faceoffs. Not to say that Schroeder didn't deserve a chance, but he didn't exactly blow Ebbett out of the water and this is where the the waivers probably played in the final decision.
VanWhitecapsFC YouTube Page

Also mycanucksdotca on YouTube

#250 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Well I don't know what AV & G expect. Somtimes it seems like they expect rookies to come in and perform like NHL regulars, without any ups and downs or learning curves.

We're going to have a hard time developing prospects if those continue to be the expectations. It's rare for rookies to just come in and hit the ground running. Even the best prospects have a learning curve.

I like that we're trying to model ourselves after Detroit though. We should let our prospects tough it out in the minors until they're fully developed. But even the Red Wings give their prospects a taste of the NHL once and a while. Schroeder should have been given a few games last season IMO. Just enough to keep him hungry.

Edited by DeNiro, 19 January 2013 - 12:12 AM.

Posted Image

#251 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Canucks need to learn a little from Philly. Philly let all their youngsters play and they were rewarded for it.

Oh ya, I remember when they just won that Stanley Cup recently after being President's Trophy winners several years running. Definitely rewarded for playing youngsters by having more success than us....

Hey, how about we learn a little from Columbus... they have drafted way better players than us and they have been rewarded for it.

:picard:

Edited by Provost, 19 January 2013 - 12:32 AM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#252 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

Schroeder will be back.

MG did say the exact same thing last year when he stated Schroeder would play games with the big club....

This year is different. Kesler and Booth are both out, I think Schroeder will definitely get a chance to showcase.

Ebbett won't be able to handle the 2nd line pressure. I don't see the 2nd line doing a whole lot. Raymond isn't very much considered a 2nd liner, and Ebbett is only a depth player. Kassian also doesn't have a whole lot of experience in the NHL.

We'll see what happens.

The 2nd line didn't do alot with Booth and Kesler on it so no real loss.

#253 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

According to the TSN ticker, Kesler is now on LTIR so the first step towards Schroeder's "recall" has occurred.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#254 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

According to the TSN ticker, Kesler is now on LTIR so the first step towards Schroeder's "recall" has occurred.

So that means he was just put on LTIR today when the rosters were submitted I guess.

That would mean we have some cap space to work with now then. We'll see what that means for Schroeder.

Posted Image

#255 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,109 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I had a secret camera watching you nateb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzR6ara8NTU

LOL. I was writing that post thinking "I'm going to come off as a total raging nutjob" but couldn't think of any other way to get people's attention. Plus it was kind of funny. And hey, no fail posts yet.

Keswho.jpg

#256 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:08 AM

LOL. I was writing that post thinking "I'm going to come off as a total raging nutjob" but couldn't think of any other way to get people's attention. Plus it was kind of funny. And hey, no fail posts yet.

Hey I didn't know Nate worked next to me! I'm the one poking my head up to see what's going on.

All these years we worked together and I didn't even know. ::D

Posted Image

#257 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

someone should tweet Mike Gillis and ask him if Schroeder will come back......

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#258 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

No I agree with your post, well said. Everyone starts complaining first and and asks questions later. It is frustrating.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#259 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

someone should tweet Mike Gillis and ask him if Schroeder will come back......

I'm curious if he even left Vancouver. He was released hours later than the rest of the bunch.

#260 gnarbot

gnarbot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Didn't literally the same thing happen last year with hodgson and he played every game until he was traded

#261 gnarbot

gnarbot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

Didn't literally the same thing happen last year with hodgson and he played every game u tip he was traded

#262 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

So that means he was just put on LTIR today when the rosters were submitted I guess.

That would mean we have some cap space to work with now then. We'll see what that means for Schroeder.

Unless I've missed something since my last post, I'm not sure it matters how much cap space we have and is more of a roster issue. According to capgeek, we have $69+M in cap with a 25 man roster (Kesler and Booth included). If that were even possible, we'd still have over $1M in cap space, so we could easily swap out one of our current roster players for Schroeder.

It is only to do with waivers and the 23 man roster that he's down. That may change at any point if they decide one of the other players is less valuable to us than Schroeder would be, but currently it has nothing to do with cap from what I can see.

Someone feel free to show me how that's wrong though.

Edited by elvis15, 19 January 2013 - 02:34 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#263 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Maybe not, but that could have just been AV denying before it gets out. For what its worth insiderrumours.com (@hockeyyinsiderr) says they are the frontrunners...

So it's worth nothing then?

#264 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

It is only to do with waivers and the 23 man roster that he's down. That may change at any point if they decide one of the other players is less valuable to us than Schroeder would be, but currently it has nothing to do with cap from what I can see.

It has been said repeatedly so I am not sure if people just aren't reading the thread before posting or are just in denial about Schroeder being sent down.

Last year we had to do some fancy juggling the first day of the season to max our LTIR cap relief... this year it is simply roster spaces. There are 23 players on the roster right now... unless someone beyond Kesler and Booth goes on LTIR or someone else gets sent down there will be no recalling of Schroeder.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#265 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Unless I've missed something since my last post, I'm not sure it matters how much cap space we have and is more of a roster issue. According to capgeek, we have $69+M in cap with a 25 man roster (Kesler and Booth included). If that were even possible, we'd still have over $1M in cap space, so we could easily swap out one of our current roster players for Schroeder.

I meant that we have cap space to go out and get another player. Meaning I wonder If Schroeder's spot will be filled or not.

Posted Image

#266 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:50 AM

I'm curious if he even left Vancouver. He was released hours later than the rest of the bunch.

He didn't play in Chicago tonight (Friday), though Chicago has a game on Saturday at home vs. the Aeros in which he should conceivably be in the line-up, if he was actually sent down. If he doesn't attend this game, while not being on the roster for the Canucks game (approximately 2 hour difference), then it is safe to say he's chilling in a Vancouver hotel for after the Canucks/Ducks game. It's highly improbable and a little conspiracy theory-esque, but I guess we'll know tomorrow by 5 PM PST if he really flew to Chicago.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#267 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

It has been said repeatedly so I am not sure if people just aren't reading the thread before posting or are just in denial about Schroeder being sent down.

Last year we had to do some fancy juggling the first day of the season to max our LTIR cap relief... this year it is simply roster spaces. There are 23 players on the roster right now... unless someone beyond Kesler and Booth goes on LTIR or someone else gets sent down there will be no recalling of Schroeder.

Well, there was the AV quote where he talked about having to work with cap issues, but he was likely referring to the same roster limit we're talking about.

I meant that we have cap space to go out and get another player. Meaning I wonder If Schroeder's spot will be filled or not.

That player would probably have a $2M+ cap hit if that were the case rather than bringing Schroeder back up, but that does clear up your point.

#268 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

What's the big down on Ebbett?

The guy has a lot of NHL experience. He will play with Raymond and Kassian/? just as well as Schroeder would. That game was a scrimmage and Schroeder would have found playing in the real games as difficult as Raymond would find netting a hat-trick every night.

This is not a full season, all you guys realise that but you still expect AV and MG to act like it is. We need to get off to a great start and if we kick a few asses and create a cushion, I'm sure Schroeder will get his chance.

If AV had played Schroeder and we stank it up and went 3, 4 games winless, people (the more ignorant, which means quite a few) would have blamed guys like Schroeder and what would that have done to his confidence.

AV is spot on and the lad will be played if and when we create a comfort zone..........that's the smart move. (Or of course if AE bombs :sick: )
Kevin.jpg

#269 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

Well, back to the day job I guess.....
Posted Image

TomBrady.jpg

#270 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Well I don't know what AV & G expect. Somtimes it seems like they expect rookies to come in and perform like NHL regulars, without any ups and downs or learning curves.

We're going to have a hard time developing prospects if those continue to be the expectations. It's rare for rookies to just come in and hit the ground running. Even the best prospects have a learning curve.

I like that we're trying to model ourselves after Detroit though. We should let our prospects tough it out in the minors until they're fully developed. But even the Red Wings give their prospects a taste of the NHL once and a while. Schroeder should have been given a few games last season IMO. Just enough to keep him hungry.

Yes it's fine saying things like that when your job doesn't rest on the outcome.

AV and MG were given a wake up call recently and they realise that the window is not opening any wider for many in this team. It is a short dash for the tape and some of our conference/division rivals HAVE to improve eventually while imo we have stalled (for one reason or another)

I agree that Schroeder had a good few days up in Vancouver but in all honesty I didn't see the kinds of performance that would justify THE RISK in a 48 game season. (when he played in Chicago) He has talent, of that there is no doubt but there is a blockage there which is hard to put your finger on (I describe it as a lack of swagger/attitude that behoves a small player in a league of big guys)

Having said that, this may be down to our abysmal affiliate and the coaches and systems adopted, I don't know. I grant you he did come out of himself playing with the "Sweatt type" (upgrade) that he combines best with in Raymond.

Schroeder's time will come, as I don't see him progressing much more down there and if we are ever going to know what we have he will, I'm sure get his chance when the normal 82 game season rolls around again. (or as I say above Andrew Ebbett bombs or gets hurt.......he is almost too brave for his own good that guy)

Of course there is another possibility that we haven't considered. Maybe AV wants to see someone totally different at 2nd line centre. Burrows maybe?

Edited by Bodee, 19 January 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Kevin.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.