The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

White Nationalist Party Among Sponsors Of Gun Appreciation Day

dudeone

Conservatives Don't Like This West Point Report on America's Violent Far-Right

DAVID WAGNER JAN 18, 2013

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/01/west-point-report-americas-violent-far-right/61181/

Aren't conservatives supposed to be hawkish on terror? They tend to be when it comes to foreign terrorists, but many are taking umbrage at a new West Point report on violent far-right extremists home-grown right here in the U.S. Earlier this week, the Combatting Terrorism Center (CTC) at America's leading military academy published an extensive report on the "dramatic rise in the number of attacks and violent plots originating from individuals and groups who self-identify with the far-right of American politics." Christian fundamentalists, Militia movement groups, Skinheads, neo-Nazis, and violent anti-abortionists were all cited in the report, titled Challengers from the Sidelines: Understanding America's Violent Far-Right. These factions may harbor different ideological goals, but as this chart shows, they've all ramped up their violent tactics in trying to achieve them:

f3279fb7adf809f8daacfba0eb1c48ed_626x331.jpg

"Although in the 1990s the average number of attacks per year was 70.1, the average number of attacks per year in the first 11 years of the twenty-first century was 307.5, a rise of more than 400%," writes Dr. Arie Perliger, Director of Terrorism Studies at the CTC.

In short, this report makes a convincing case about extremists trying to inflict harm upon innocent Americans, and it's full of alarming data and clear policy recommendations. Conservatives love appealing to these kinds of studies when arguing that we need to get tough on terror, right? Well,not in this case. One Republican congressional staffer—who thinks only Muslims can be terrorists—told The Washington Times' Rowan Scarborough:

If [the Defense Department] is looking for places to cut spending, this junk study is ground zero. Shouldn’t the Combating Terrorism Center be combating radical Islam around the globe instead of perpetuating the left’s myth that right-wingers are terrorists?

The National Review's John Fund also wants to change the subject to terrorists in other parts of the world:

The world is beset by terrorists—witness the American hostages taken in Algeria this week—but portions of our federal government continue to obsess about alleged home-grown threats from the "far right" ... My sources inside Congress tell me they continue to worry that efforts to monitor domestic Muslim extremists as well as interdiction efforts against radical Islamists crossing the U.S. border are sometimes put on the back burner. The government denies this, but it seems to me its protestations would be more persuasive if it spent less time producing half-baked warnings about the danger of "right-wing extremists."

World Net Daily's Michael Carl extensively quotes blogger Pamela Geller in his article on the report. "This is another appalling attempt to demonize loyal Americans and whitewash the Islamic threat," Geller says. "West Point probably is working on orders from higher ups. Or else it has bought into the dominant PC culture." Over at Newsmax, Christiana Lilly buries the lede—turning a story about far-right terrorists into a story about liberals:

The U.S. Military Academy at West Point released a paper calling far right groups anti-federalists while describing liberals as “future oriented,” the Washington Times reports.

And yes, you better believe Drudge sirened it:

images_normal.jpeg

West Point cites dangers of 'anti-federalists' in U.S....

MON JAN 21, 2013 AT 11:07 AM PST

by

David Waldman

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/01/21/1180685/-Gun-Appreciation-Day-shootings

This won't require a lot of explanation. I decided to count as many incidents as I could of firearms being discharged on "Gun Appreciation Day," and what happened as a result. After hearing the news of five woundings in separate accidental shootings at three different gun shows during the day, I got curious about how many other incidents, both intentional and unintentional, might have happened during the day.

I'm sure that my list is not comprehensive. All I did was search Google news. Still, I came up with a list of 109 separate incidents in 35 states and the District of Columbia, killing a total of 40 people and wounding 70 more.

Additional methodology note: For the purposes of this list, I have defined gun "incidents" as those in which there was a discharge, intentional or otherwise. There is one exception on the list: an incident in Las Vegas, NV in which an elected state representative brandished a gun and threatened to shoot the Speaker-elect of the Nevada state legislature. I thought that merited consideration, though strictly speaking, that might open the list to the inclusion of armed robberies and the like, even if no shots were fired. Though it's certainly well within reason to argue that such incidents should be included, they threaten to make the list unmanageable, and perhaps dilute its impact. But the subject is certainly open for discussion.

If it makes conservatives feel any better, the state legislator arrested is a Democrat.

Take in the full list, below the fold.

ORIGINALLY POSTED TO DAVID WALDMAN ON MON JAN 21, 2013 AT 11:07 AM PST.

Chicago woman loses 4th child to gun violence

Associated Press

Updated: 01/27/2013 08:21:21 AM PST

http://www.mercurynews.com/rss/ci_22461469

CHICAGO -- At least five people were gunned down Saturday in Chicago, including a 34-year-old man whose mother had already lost her three other children to shootings.

Ronnie Chambers, who was his mother Shirley's youngest child, was shot in the head while sitting in a parked car on the city's West Side. A 21-year-old man who was also in the car was wounded, police said.

Shirley Chambers, whose two other sons and daughter were shot in separate attacks more than a decade ago, was left grieving again on Saturday, WLS-TV reported (http://bit.ly/VCSh8i ).

"Right now, I'm totally lost because Ronnie was my only surviving son," Chambers said.

Shirley Chambers' first child, Carlos, was shot and killed by a high school classmate in 1995 after an argument. He was 18. Her daughter Latoya, then 15, and her other son Jerome were shot and killed within months of one another in 2000.

"What did I do wrong? I was there for them. We didn't have everything we wanted but we had what we needed," she asked Saturday.

Chambers said despite this latest tragic chapter in her life, she's not bitter or angry.

"They took my only child. I have nobody right now. That's my only baby," she said.

A few hours after Ronnie Chambers was killed, a gunman opened fire on three men near a South Side eatery, killing two of them and wounding the third, police said.

On Saturday afternoon, detectives were called to the scene of another shooting in which a man in his 30s and a teenager were shot to death. There had been no arrests.

Chicago's homicide count eclipsed 500 last year for the first time since 2008. As grim as it is, Chicago's homicide rate was almost double in the early 1990s -- averaging around 900 -- before violent crime began dropping in cities across America.

Last year's increase, though, stood in sharp contrast to New York, where homicides fell 21 percent from 2011, as of early December.

On another note, the Communist Party USA supports Obama's gun control agenda. When you have big tent parties, you're going to have extremists on both sides, but thanks to the overwhemingly liberal dominated mainstrain media in the U.S., most people are only going to hear about one of them.

Posted · Hidden by Captain Bob, January 28, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Captain Bob, January 28, 2013 - No reason given

On another note, the Communist Party USA supports Obama's gun control agenda. When you have big tent parties, you're going to have extremists on both sides, but thanks to the overwhemingly liberal dominated mainstrain media in the U.S., most people are only going to hear about one of them.

Missile launcher shows up at Seattle gun buyback

By PHUONG LE | Associated Press – Mon, Jan 28, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/missile-launcher-shows-seattle-gun-buyback-174331546.html

SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle police worked with Army officials Monday to track down the history of a nonfunctional missile launcher that showed up at a weapons buyback program and determine whether it was legal or possibly stolen from the military.

A man standing outside the event Saturday bought the military weapon for $100 from another person there, according to Detective Mark Jamieson.

The single-use device is a launch tube assembly for a Stinger portable surface-to-air missile and already had been used. As a controlled military item, it is not available to civilians through any surplus or disposal program offered by the government, according to Jamieson.

Seattle police have contacted Army officials at Joint Base Lewis-McChord nearTacoma deputy chief Nick Metz said Monday.

"Once it's brought on base and investigators have a chance to look at it, they'll see what they can determine," Army spokesman Joe Kubistek said Monday. "It's too early to give any information on it until we have hands-on access to see it and take a look at it."

Police witnessed the private exchange of the military launch tube near the gun buyback event, where gun buyers tempted those standing in long lines to turn in their weapons with cash.

"It was absolutely crazy what we saw out there," Seattle Mayor Mike McGinnsaid at a news conference Monday where officials announced they had collected a total of 716 weapons, including four confirmed as stolen.

Officers saw guns changing private hands without knowing whether the person buying the gun had the legal right to buy it, and those transactions are occurring all the time, McGinn said.

He added that the private sales of the missile launch tube and other weapons illustrate the need for comprehensive background checks as proposed by President Barack Obama, as well as other regulations at the state level.

While there were private gun buyers at the periphery of Saturday's event, Metz said a large majority of people chose to wait in line and get less money because they wanted to make sure they got the weapons off the streets.

"These are very dangerous weapons," Metz said. "They may not have looked very pretty, but (they're) definitely operable."

The firearms collected included 348 pistols, 364 rifles and three so-called street sweepers, or shotguns that include a high capacity magazine capable of holding twelve 12-gauge shotgun shells.

The program allowed people to anonymously turn in their weapons for a shopping gift card worth up to $200 -- $100 for each handgun, rifle or shotgun turned in, and $200 for each gun classified as an assault weapon under state law. Officials distributed about $70,000 in gift cards at Saturday's event.

Police took possession of the launch tube Saturday. Police said the man who had purchased it agreed to accept a gift card as compensation if the launch tube is not returned to him, though the man indicated he wanted to keep it if he was legally able to do so.

McGinn said he wanted to plan another buyback event soon and urged more donations to the program.

Meanwhile, police said people who wanted to turn in guns could do so at any time outside a buyback program, though they wouldn't be compensated for it.

Walmart sets limits on ammunition sales after demand surges

By Jessica Wohl | Reuters – 4 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.com/walmart-sets-limits-ammunition-sales-demand-surges-215758725--finance.html

(Reuters) - Walmart has started to limit sales of ammunition to three boxes per customer per day due to limited supplies, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

Sales of guns and ammunition have risen across the United States since the December 14 shooting at a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.

Walmart U.S., is the largest unit of Wal-Mart Stores Inc the world's largest retailer and the largest U.S. gun seller. The Bentonville, Arkansas-based retailer had said that it works to strike the right balance between serving hunters and sportsmen and ensuring that it sells firearms responsibly.

"In order to take care of as many customers as possible, starting Thursday, January 24, allammunition sales were limited to three boxes per customer, per day as supply is limited at this time," spokeswoman Ashley Hardie told Reuters on Wednesday.

Walmart was a charter member of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's coalition against illegal guns and adopted a 10-point code established by the Responsible Firearms Retailer Partnership that goes beyond what the law requires.

Data released on Monday by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's National Instant Criminal Background Check System showed that nine of the top 10 days for firearms checks from November 30, 1998, to January 27, 2013, including December 14, 2012, occurred since Adam Lanza killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School and then shot and killed himself. Lanza also killed his mother before the school massacre.

Walmart's policy change was reported earlier by The City Wire, an Arkansas news outlet.

(http://www.thecitywi...13#.UQmIBB1EF8E)

(Reporting by Jessica Wohl in Chicago; Editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

Teenage student wounded in Atlanta school shooting

By David Beasley | Reuters2 hrs 50 mins ago

http://news.yahoo.com/least-one-wounded-atlanta-school-shooting-reports-195921610.html

ATLANTA (Reuters) - A 14-year-old student was wounded on Thursday in a shooting outside a middle school in Atlanta and police said another student was arrested in the latest outbreak of gun violence in a U.S. school.

The afternoon shooting occurred outside Price Middle School in Atlanta, Georgia. Neither the wounded student nor the suspected shooter were identified by authorities.

Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Erroll Davis and Police Chief George Turner said at a news conference that multiple gunshots were fired from a small-caliber handgun outside the main school building.

One of the gunshots grazed the 14-year-old on the back of the neck but his injury was not life-threatening. He was expected to be released from hospital by Thursday evening, Davis said.

The shooter was disarmed and taken into custody minutes after the incident by an off-duty Atlanta police officer, Turner said. He said the off-duty police officer, who was armed, works at Price Middle School as a so-called resource officer, providing security.

Davis said a teacher's aide was slightly injured in the confusion that followed the shooting, but he offered no further details.

Police said they did not know how the shooter got his gun or what his motive was, but Turner said charges would be filed against him.

A national debate has raged over gun control in the United States since the shooting deaths of 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school in December.

Sylvester Stallone supports assault weapon ban

By RYAN PEARSON | Associated PressFri, Feb 1, 2013

http://news.yahoo.com/sylvester-stallone-supports-assault-weapon-ban-212011998.html

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Sylvester Stallone says that despite his "Rambo" image and new shoot-em-up film "Bullet to the Head," he's in favor of new national gun control legislation.

Stallone supported the 1994 "Brady bill" that included a now-expired ban on assault weapons, and hopes that ban can be reinstated.

"I know people get (upset) and go, 'They're going to take away the assault weapon.' Who ... needs an assault weapon? Like really, unless you're carrying out an assault. ... You can't hunt with it. ... Who's going to attack your house, a (expletive) army?"

The 66-year-old actor, writer and director said he also hopes for an additional focus on mental health to prevent future mass shootings.

"It's unbelievably horrible, what's happened. I think the biggest problem, seriously, is not so much guns. It's that every one of these people that have done these things in the past 30 years are friggin' crazy. Really crazy! And that's where we've dropped the ball: mental health," he said. "That to me is our biggest problem in the future, is insanity coupled with isolation."

Archived