Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Canada put "wrong" maple leaf on new Canadian dollar 20 bill: expert

By Randall Palmer | Reuters – 6 hrs ago

http://news.yahoo.co...--business.html

OTTAWA (Reuters) - The Bank of Canada has barked up the wrong maple tree with its new plastic banknotes, using a foreign Norway maple leaf as the emblem on the notes instead of the sugar maple that the country has on its national flag, an eagle-eyed Canadian botanist says.

The untrained eye might not at first spot the difference between the maple leaf on the new $20, $50 and $100 bills and the North American sugar maple.

But it is clear to Sean Blaney, a botanist who tracks plants for the Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Center in New Brunswick, and who brought it first to the attention of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

"The maple leaf (on the currency) is the wrong species," he told Reuters on Friday.

He said the Norway maple has more lobes or sections and has a more pointed outline than the sugar maple, and the lobe that rises in the center is shorter than the sugar maple's.

The Norway maple was imported from Europe and is now also common in North America. Blaney said it was probably the most popular tree along streets in central and eastern Canada.

"It has naturalized to Canada," he said. But it's not the grand sugar maple.

The central bank said the image on the new bills was purposefully designed not to represent any specific species but rather to be a combination of various kinds.

"It is not a Norway maple leaf. It is a stylized maple leaf and it is what it ought to be," said Bank of Canada currency spokesman Julie Girard.

She said the banknote designers created the image with the help of a dendrologist, a botanist who specializes in trees and shrubs.

"On the advice of this expert, steps were taken to ensure that the design of the leaf in the secondary window is not representative of a Norway maple," she said, adding that it was less rectangular than a Norway maple.

Blaney is not buying the explanation. "I think it's just an after-the-fact excuse," he said.

"That may have been their intention, to not have it be a specific species of maple, but they should have drawn it differently if that were the case, because the maple that they've drawn is quite clearly a Norway maple."

The Bank of Canada had to apologize in August after news broke that it replaced the picture of an Asian lab assistant on its new C$100 banknote with a woman who looked more Caucasian.

Focus groups said Asians should not be the only group represented. Critics then accused the bank of racism.

(Editing by Janet Guttsman and Mohammad Zargham)

#2 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I feel bad for the bank of Canada... All they are trying to do is make our money safer.

Posted Image

#3 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

How can a drawn maple leaf be "of the wrong species". :lol: It's a drawing!

FWYIerW.png

#4 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#5 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#6 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

But it is clear to Sean Blaney, a botanist who tracks plants for the Atlantic Canada Conservation Data Center in New Brunswick, and who brought it first to the attention of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
----

Should'nt he be studying real plants at work instead of sitting around staring at money. what a tool.

#7 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

----

Should'nt he be studying real plants at work instead of sitting around staring at money. what a tool.

I heard Blaney was a fan of Evander Kane.

Posted Image
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#8 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

Our money is the laughing stock of north america.

Every time i go to the states, i show my buddies canadian money and they laugh. I tried using a twenty in mexico and they laughed at me. For the record, i always stash a twenty spot in my wallet.

Posted Image

#9 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Every time i go to the states, i show my buddies canadian money and they laugh. I tried using a twenty in mexico and they laughed at me. For the record, i always stash a twenty spot in my wallet.

early contender for worst post of the year

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#10 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,054 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

In other news, one Canadian botanist needs more to do

#11 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

It's what he does. It's only natural that he would notice it. I don't know what you do but when I'm out and about I notice deficincies in my own trade. Anyhow it would appear someone at the mint may be indulging in other kinds of leaves...
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#12 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

It's what he does. It's only natural that he would notice it. I don't know what you do but when I'm out and about I notice deficincies in my own trade. Anyhow it would appear someone at the mint may be indulging in other kinds of leaves...

Do you mean...the MARIJAWANA?! :frantic:

#13 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Is this some kind of crapty joke?

RIP LB RR PD

#14 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

I got my hands on some of these bills the other week, and the first thing I noticed was the odd looking maple leaf. And I dont even like plants.

Posted Image

#15 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Wow no way people. Our banknotes are supposed to represent the fabric of our nation, and they should get the right maple leaf onto our money.
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#16 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

I miss the minus button... :(

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#17 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

At least we can tell the difference between a 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100, unlike the States. Make no mistake, I like the US currency, but I can imagine how confusing it can be for some people to mix up the value of the bills because they look very identical in colour. Having a colour variance makes it quick and easy to know which bill to pull out instead of having to double check before handing the cash over.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#18 Tom-The-Great

Tom-The-Great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

oddly enough, the only money with a map of Canada on it is Norwegian :

Posted Image

#19 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Good to know that info. For a second there I thought I was in Norway, lol.

#20 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Maybe they laughed at you because you were trying to pay with a foreign bill.

Judging by your post, I get the feeling that a lot of people laugh at you.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.