The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Alex Edler

Elder is a good player but I don't see how $5M per year is a discount. I would think it's on the high end of fair and the Canucks overpaid a little to keep him. For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

Guest Gumballthechewy

^^^ Exactly!

For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

Gillis said today in the intermission that Edler "worked hard to get the dollar amount to the lowest possible" (whatever..), but also that Edler would have been 'by far' the most sought after UFA defenseman next summer. Obviously that would have inflated his value... I bet on the UFA market after another successful season he COULD have gotten 6.5 million per year (with certain years loaded or whatever) or something if he wanted to maximize his dollar value. I think 5 million is definitely a good deal for Edler.

Elder is a good player but I don't see how $5M per year is a discount. I would think it's on the high end of fair and the Canucks overpaid a little to keep him. For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

Archived