278 replies to this topic

#181 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Its apparently got another ntc. Would have honestly rather overpaid 1-1.5 million more to make him more tradable if necissary.

I hate NTC's. You want job security? Play well, consistently, there's your job security...

I'm not calling Edler lazy or anything, that just my view on NTC's in general.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 18 January 2013 - 10:27 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#182 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

He was injured for the Kings series.

If you want to know what he's like when healthy, check 2011 playoffs. of course the bruins broke his finger after he dominated game 5... he can bring it all

#183 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

Its apparently got another ntc. Would have honestly rather overpaid 1-1.5 million more to make him more tradable if necissary.

He's a core player. You can't disrespect your core players like that. The best you can really do with core guys is make it a limited NTC. That's the new era of pro-sports.

Edler could've gone to UFA and gotten a 7-year/$49m contract with a full NTC. I don't think any GM in the league gets him signed without a NTC.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#184 Canucks17_33_22

Canucks17_33_22

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Great Signing - Can't wait to see him play tomorrow night and give him a big shout out!

That's the way to give back to the fans - thanks eddie :)

#185 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Great Signing - Can't wait to see him play tomorrow night and give him a big shout out!

That's the way to give back to the fans - thanks eddie :)

Eee!

I almost forgot! Tomorrow is game night!!

#186 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

POPULAR

Never enough for some on CDC.

MG just signed one of the best Dmen in the league to a great contract, now there are complaints of NTC attached to contract. No way Edler signs without NTC for $5 mill or $6+ mill. Money is not the issue, the thing is Edler wants to stay here and he took less to make that happen.

#187 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

MG just signed one of the best Dmen in the league to a great contract, now there are complaints of NTC attached to contract. No way Edler signs without NTC for $5 mill or $6+ mill. Money is not the issue, the thing is Edler wants to stay here and he took less to make that happen.

I just hate NTC's in general, it has nothing to do with Edler or Gillis.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 18 January 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#188 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

what a steal! how many of these Defenseman better than Edler?

1. Weber, Shea » D NAS 27 14 $7,857,143
2. Suter, Ryan » D MIN 27 13 $7,538,462
3. Campbell, Brian » D FLA 33 8 $7,142,875
4. Doughty, Drew » D LAK 23 8 $7,000,000
5. Chara, Zdeno » D BOS 35 7 $6,916,667
6. Bouwmeester, Jay » D CGY 29 $6,680,000
7. Boyle, Dan » D SAN 36 6 $6,666,667
8. Phaneuf, Dion » D TOR 27 6 $6,500,000
9. Karlsson, Erik » D OTT 22 7 $6,500,000
10. Timonen, Kimmo » D PHI 37 6 $6,333,333
11. Green, Mike » D WAS 27 3 $6,083,333
12. Seabrook, Brent » D CHI 27 5 $5,800,000
13. Burns, Brent » D SAN 27 5 $5,760,000
14. Markov, Andrei » D MTL 34 3 $5,750,000
15. Visnovsky, Lubomir » D NYI 36 $5,600,000
16. Keith, Duncan » D CHI 29 13 $5,538,462
17. Gonchar, Sergei » D OTT 38 3 $5,500,000
18. Wisniewski, James » D CLB 28 $5,500,000
19. Myers, Tyler » D BUF 22 7 $5,500,000
20. Carle, Matt » D TBL 28 6 $5,500,000
21. Yandle, Keith » D PHO 26 5 $5,250,000
22. Wideman, Dennis » D CGY 29 $5,250,000
23. Byfuglien, Dustin » D WIN 27 $5,200,000
24. Martin, Paul » D PIT 31 5 $5,000,000

probably 5-10 of them for sure, then it's a toss up. weber, suter, doughty, chara, keith are the norris trophy class. Edler is right there after them, but so are most of these guys. But I agree with the point, great great great deal for the $ - as long as the back is really ok, which probably is. he is still young enough to get over it and not let it effect his game...

#189 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

I just hate NTC's in general, it has nothing to do with Edler or Gillis.

I don't like them either, but unless they were banned under the CBA there was no way Edler was going to sign with any team in the NHL without NTC. He's a top tier Dman and has the power to demand a NTC. Any player who takes less $ to play for a team is going to have a NTC.

#190 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Praise science!

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#191 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

Canucks sign key defenceman Alex Edler to six-year, $30-million deal

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2IOjxu0Vk

Vancouver, B.C. - The Canucks have locked up another piece to their blueline, signing Alex Edler to a six-year, $30 million contract extension.
“They’re all difficult,” Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said. “But this is good for him and good for us.”

Edler is the quiet, professional Swede. He produces at an elite level, having become a 50-point defenceman who has significantly out-performed his $3.1 million-per-year contract for the past two seasons.

Edler was looking to be the Canucks highest paid defenceman and got it, averaging $400,000 more than Kevin Bieksa. And you can be sure he would have got a huge payday this summer if he made it as a UFA, from teams like Detroit, desperate for blueliners.

The deal has a no-trade clause.

It means the Canucks top-four defencemen are signed until 2016-17 which gives the team significant cost certainty.

He is also just 26, and Gillis said he believes he’s still growing, learning and developing.

“He’s got size, skating, and a great shot,” Gillis said. “He’s going to continue to get better, grow into the role of a top-two defenceman.”

Edler’s sagged badly in the spring in a five-game series against the L.A. Kings. That’s when the criticism of his inconsistency finally crossed the line into concern he may never be the top-tier, No. 1 defenceman many believed he had the talent to become.

“I think he was mentally tired, we limped into those in the playoffs,” Gillis said.

As Gillis suggested, many assumed the problem to be mental. It looked that way, as he committed a string of unforced errors.

But what if it wasn’t? What if the problems go back years?

Edler underwent surgery, because of a bulging disc, in January 2011. It was a problem that had plagued him for years. He didn’t miss games, though as he could manage it enough with physical treatments.

Edler continued to experience back spasms throughout the next season in 2011-12. He missed practices, and couldn’t play one game in December.

Those back problems crept back up for Edler this September, something the Canucks examined thoroughly while he was injured during the lockout and under team supervision.

“He was under our supervision and we had him checked out and got multiple opinions and do not believe it’s going to be an issue,” Gillis said.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2IOjpxqAN

#192 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

awesome deal. I was really worried about losing him. Next up....Higgins and Lapierre.

#193 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

Lol, was just going to buy a Kassian jersey Tmr, now I'm thinking Edler maybe?

#194 Systemaddict

Systemaddict

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,790 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Yup. And people are upset all for a NTC - which we've seen time and time again doesn't mean a heck of a lot if you really have to move a player (save for Luongo, which is really because of his contract, not the NTC).

This is a great deal for a Top defenseman Now lets just hope he takes the next step and finds the consistency to be an elite d-man for the next 6 years.

#195 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

No kidding. These two are my favorite:

I am not giddy like most on this signing because at his best he can be a beast (as much as a soft euro can be) or he can be horrible like he was against LA and at other times so far.

Time will tell whether this dea is good or bad for the organization.

I am not sold either way.

:picard:

But of course, we're all just being "fan boys". These guys are the realists. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#196 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Great signing! Thank you!
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#197 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

No kidding. These two are my favorite:

But of course, we're all just being "fan boys". These guys are the realists. :rolleyes:

I already said i loved the signing. I just dont like how MGs handed out NTCs like its his job. Any player who signs with him from now on will get one since he gives them out. Even Manny has one. Some GMs dont give them out on principle. May cost them some players/ deals/ value but at least interested players dont come to expect them. People praise MG for all his value on these resignings (rightfully so) but dont point out his willingness to give out these clauses.

Its not like Im trying to be negative for the sake of it. I was writing this stuff yesterday before this signing occured. I bet (without looking) no team in the league comes close to as many NTCs as we have.

Edit: after looking it seems its not as bad as I thought. Still, we have some of the most among teams Ive checked.

Edited by cdubuya, 18 January 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Posted Image

#198 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,823 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

lots of potential, he is not there yet in terms of consistency

hope his injury situation in the last few yrs will not be an issue when it matters the most in playoffs

5mill/yr is similar KB and hammer range.
Posted Image

#199 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

I already said i loved the signing. I just dont like how MGs handed out NTCs like its his job. Any player who signs with him from now on will get one since he gives them out. Even Manny has one. Some GMs dont give them out on principle. May cost them some players/ deals/ value but at least interested players dont come to expect them. People praise MG for all his value on these resignings (rightfully so) but dont point out his willingness to give out these clauses.

Its not like Im trying to be negative for the sake of it. I was writing this stuff yesterday before this signing occured. I bet (without looking) no team in the league comes close to as many NTCs as we have.

Edit: after looking it seems its not as bad as I thought. Still, we have some of the most among teams Ive checked.

Calgary with 11.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#200 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

Looks pretty likely that this is Ballard's final 1/2 season with the club.
At least he'll leave with a cup ring :bigblush:

Bally aint the worst d'man making 4+ mil on the nucks.. but probably the only one without a NTC... sucks i like him.
hope he gets a ring with us ........... same with Lu.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#201 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Calgary with 11.

They arent exactly a model franchise. And stajan, Glencross, Tanguay, Babchuck, and Sarich all make 3.5 or less so they arent on the same level.
Posted Image

#202 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,049 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

We get a 50 point d-man for $5m a year and they're upset about an NTC. Like one has never been waived before. Likely the same ones upset about Ehrhoff walking. I'd take Edler and his deal any day, any time, over that Ehrhoff deal.
Posted Image

#203 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

HELL. EFFING. YES.

My biggest concern was losing him after this season. Looks like I'll be keeping my Edler jersey.

Edited by Gran Turismo, 18 January 2013 - 11:56 PM.

Posted Image

#204 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

Who cares if he has a NTC? Are we going to want to trade him in the next 6 years? Probably not.

If he keeps performing like a 5 million dollar defenseman, why would we wanna trade him? If he doesn't, then we probably won't be able to anyways.

If he really starts stinking it up, he can be asked to waive his no trade or be bought out. Why fans worry about some hypothetical in the future, I don't understand.

Edited by DeNiro, 18 January 2013 - 11:55 PM.

Posted Image

#205 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

B-B-B-But I @SamJam99 didn't confirm this yet???

On a serious note, its a good feeling to know that Edler will be patrolling our blueline for the next 6 years.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#206 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

We get a 50 point d-man for $5m a year and they're upset about an NTC. Like one has never been waived before. Likely the same ones upset about Ehrhoff walking. I'd take Edler and his deal any day, any time, over that Ehrhoff deal.

I don't know about anyone else here but I'm not a fan of NTC's no matter what contract they're in, yet they are a part if hockey, whatever, I was just voicing my general opinion about them not that Edler got one.

Same thing about the trapezoid, I think it's the second stupidest thing in Hockey, but it's a part if hockey so I deal with it.

People can't say they don't like a certain aspect of contracts in general without people going on about it?

#207 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

The thing is all the players on Canucks with NTC are core players and they won't be traded anyways. Luongo is the only only one who will be and that's because he asked for a trade.

Key is MG doesn't hand out too many NMC's. Only the Sedins have those.

If worst come to worst (unlikely) MG could waive any of these players and someone is bound to pick them up.

#208 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,026 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

A player shows loyalty by taking less. A GM shows it by giving them a NTC.

All this means is that Edler wants to finish his career here.

I don't think every player should get one, but I definitely think Edler should. He's a core player, and a career canuck.

Edited by DeNiro, 19 January 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#209 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

I literally was like :towel: :frantic: when i found out about the deal. I absolutely love the way Eddie plays. big, good offensively, good defensively, and throws his body around. His value on this deal is incredible compared to what he could have got on the open market. There is no question in my mind that he would fetch at least 6.5 on the open market... he is easily better than Phaneuf. For a 26 year old guy, I have no problem giving him the term either. LOVE IT!

#210 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Who cares if he has a NTC? Are we going to want to trade him in the next 6 years? Probably not.

If he keeps performing like a 5 million dollar defenseman, why would we wanna trade him? If he doesn't, then we probably won't be able to anyways.

If he really starts stinking it up, he can be asked to waive his no trade or be bought out. Why fans worry about some hypothetical in the future, I don't understand.

If we had more of our d corps free to trade as we pleased we could have opened the door to have gotten Schultz in the offseason. This is just one little example. Its harder to move around assets. Wha if a great trade oppurtunity came around but our guys wouldnt leave? It just makes me uncomfortable and I was hoping to overpay eddy with no NTC. Maybe he wouldnt have signed without one. Hes earned that right. Im ecstatic with the terms. I dont see whats wrong with worrying about things like this. It goes both ways tho. Him signing for cheaper allows us to do more too. I just dont want this to turn into a team filled with NTCs.

Edited by cdubuya, 19 January 2013 - 12:07 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.