The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All over again.. Are Canucks Tough Enough?

Canouver

We have enough toughness and size if the players we have use that ability.

1. Addition of Vandermeer was huge in my mind. He is a tough SOB who will answer the bell with anyone and can play. He'll see alot of time in the playoffs if we come up against teams trying to goon it up.

2. Kassian. He knows his role. He knows the coaching staff doesn;t care if he scores but want him to a) use his speed to get in a hit/pound dmen B) protect / come to the aid of his teammates if necessary, not to goon but be a threat c) protect the puck, play well in the corners, and play responsibly defensively. Pts are gravy, he knows this and if he delivers well he is going to be a problem for most teams. As much as I love burr on the first line, this is why I want him there, play that game and he'll open up even more room for the sedins (ie play the role Bert did for Nazzy)...

3. Garrison is a big kid. He can play any game you want, he's got size

4. Beiksa can bring more physically

5. Edler is a great hitter and needs to bring that part back into his game, little Ohlund can hit like Big Ohlund and can add that facet more consistently

6. Weise and Volpatti- MUST do their jobs and Weiss needs to understand his role - hit hit hit...

We are not small and won't be pushed around. Part of that was coaching and discipline in the playoffs vs Boston. Nucks expected the refs to do their jobs, they didn't

Our forwards really haven't changed at all but I don't think that was our main problem - it was on defence and MG did a fantastic job of shoring that up. Garrison, Vandemeer and even Barker can all be very physical guys which is what you need in the playoffs - big bodies on defence that grind down the forwards and punish them into the boards every single shift so that over a 7 game series they're broken down and can't score anymore.

That's how Boston beat us - they didn't have that many big forwards actually. L.A beat teams with a tenacious forecheck and big forwards grinding down the players. Doesn't matter who does

We have enough toughness and size if the players we have use that ability.

1. Addition of Vandermeer was huge in my mind. He is a tough SOB who will answer the bell with anyone and can play. He'll see alot of time in the playoffs if we come up against teams trying to goon it up.

2. Kassian. He knows his role. He knows the coaching staff doesn;t care if he scores but want him to a) use his speed to get in a hit/pound dmen B) protect / come to the aid of his teammates if necessary, not to goon but be a threat c) protect the puck, play well in the corners, and play responsibly defensively. Pts are gravy, he knows this and if he delivers well he is going to be a problem for most teams. As much as I love burr on the first line, this is why I want him there, play that game and he'll open up even more room for the sedins (ie play the role Bert did for Nazzy)...

3. Garrison is a big kid. He can play any game you want, he's got size

4. Beiksa can bring more physically

5. Edler is a great hitter and needs to bring that part back into his game, little Ohlund can hit like Big Ohlund and can add that facet more consistently

6. Weise and Volpatti- MUST do their jobs and Weiss needs to understand his role - hit hit hit...

We are not small and won't be pushed around. Part of that was coaching and discipline in the playoffs vs Boston. Nucks expected the refs to do their jobs, they didn't

We aren't as tough as some other teams, but we are tougher than before. We had an above average amount of fighting majors last year and I'm pretty excited about Jim Vandermeer, he may not play much but if we need him he'll go at it with anyone, and he plays nasty on the ice.

However I don't think toughness is why we lost last year (not that being gritty and tough is a bad thing). The Kings did NOT beat us up, they scored more goals and played defense. You win in the playoffs by being aggressive, physical and playing with balls, not necessarily by fighting. I think we are capable of that, but our skill has to show up as well.

In the playoffs, when Edler throws around his weight, it intimidates the other team, but he only seems to do that once every four games or so..... I'd like to see Kassian do that, hitting can be a little bit of an art form though, it's all about the timing and Eddie has that, not too sure about some others, Ballard is pretty good at the hipcheck, instead of that though, why not go for the full body hit

We aren't as tough as some other teams, but we are tougher than before. We had an above average amount of fighting majors last year and I'm pretty excited about Jim Vandermeer, he may not play much but if we need him he'll go at it with anyone, and he plays nasty on the ice.

However I don't think toughness is why we lost last year (not that being gritty and tough is a bad thing). The Kings did NOT beat us up, they scored more goals and played defense. You win in the playoffs by being aggressive, physical and playing with balls, not necessarily by fighting. I think we are capable of that, but our skill has to show up as well.

Archived