#1 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

POPULAR

I'll come right out of the gate ragging on AV this year so that people don't think I'm saying this because of a game we lose, or recent decisions. After all, a clean slate and such? But that can only last for so long.

There are a few things that will have to be looked at with AV, and Gillis should be keeping a close eye this year.

Wacky line-up choices and personal grudges and butt-buddies aside, AV needs to acknowledge the necessity to be willing to change things up once in a while. Same-old same-old isn't going to cut it. Never has, never will. With a shortened season, he's going to need to act fast to keep on top of this team.

With a team like this, it shouldn't be that hard to make the play-offs, and that shouldn't be too much of a concern. But who's to say we wont be subject to another early exit?

The only issue (a serious issue) that AV gets cut slack on this season is prospect development. Although that is a vital issue this man is having... there's no time for that this season.

I say if we don't make Western Finals, AV is gone.
If we are below .500 (for some crazy reason), AV is gone.

AV has had enough chances. He has never been able to adjust. This year is not only lacking in time for his games, but it is also a test for AV. If he can't handle the adjustment that is necessary in a shortened season, he should be gone.

It should be common knowledge by now that a chimp could coach this team to success, and AV's success has been limited to one showing at the finals, and nothing else but disappointment.

And before any of you come on here and tell me of his regular season accolades, turn around and tell that to the GM of a team that needs to worry about regular season success just to sell tickets. We need a playoffs coach, not a regular season "systems" coach.

FLAME AWAY!
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#2 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I agree.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#3 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

That "same-old same-old" coach got us to game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals and helped make this team into a contender. Have no idea why people think teams can just change a coach and nothing will go wrong. AV is a great coach and he tends to be the whipping boy when no one else is performing poorly, the off-season is happening, etc. You're just complaining to complain. You didn't bring up a single good point that was backed up by an example. All in all, this is a pretty poorly constructed argument and I consider that if you truly want to express your opinions about the man like this, take some more time and effort into your posts.

#4 WolfxHaley

WolfxHaley

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Deja vu

Posted Image

#5 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Wait a minute......
I think I'm in that movie groundhog day.....
No, wait, its just CDC

Posted Image

#6 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

POPULAR

The man can not spark the team, just look at the playoffs, we looked like crap out there on multiple occasions, and he chooses to do nothing but chew his gum. Make adjustments, make changes!

Edited by PlayStation, 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM.

Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#7 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Joe_Shmo from Idaho?

#8 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I agree, but is this about the whole Schroeder thing?
Posted Image

#9 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Glad to see Vigneault is still trending
Posted Image

#10 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

if gillis wants a stanley cup every year, he needs to hire joe shmo as his coach....he says even an idiot could take this team to the top....go joe

#11 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

At first I thought he was a total badasz for being so chill and jus chewin his trident. Now, I dunno, he just seems stubborn.

#12 samurai

samurai

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

AV is an elite coach. He knows the game inside and out. He may not rank as some of the players all time favorite coach going back to pee wee, but players respect him big time.

#13 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

I hope this is the year AV is fired :towel:

#14 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

POPULAR

I hope this is the year AV is fired :towel:

i hope this is the year you become a flames fan..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Mad Cow Disease

Mad Cow Disease

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

He's not adaptable. See the Chicago series we barely squeaked through and the Kings series. You can argue he took us to the Stanley Cup finals and game 7 but it's hardly a sound argument because our lineup on paper was arguably the best in the NHL regardless of the coach.

I like the guy, but sometimes (emphasis on SOMETIMES, understanding his motivation for switching players can be rational but makes no difference so often) his line-juggling techniques (see sig, don't take it too seriously) leave everyone scratching their head.

#16 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,589 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Glad to see Vigneault is still trending

#signsthelockoutisover

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#17 Kryten

Kryten

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

AV is obviously a good coach but I would like to see him make some minor changes to his gameplan. That being said, I don't think his job will be on thin ice unless we see real struggles (basically the go to reason for why any coach would be on thin ice).
Posted Image

#18 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

Some other team would pick him up immediately if we got rid of him.

He's a good coach and his Jack Adams and two nominations would definitely support that.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#19 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:55 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#20 jigsaw99

jigsaw99

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

^ lol perfect.

#21 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,704 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

I believe AV (honestly) was brilliant for trying a smallish LW as a RW on a line with two sublimely talented players who never hit their stride before. Honestly, AV does not deserve the credit the Sedin's do. I adore the quote from Babcock saying the Sedin's have "decided to be elite!" But really, who would have put a small left wing on the Sedin's flank?

What I love about AV is he rewards work rate before all else. Its also why guys like Hansen made it before guys like Hodgson.

I honestly believe it took brilliant coaching moves by Quenneville and Julien, even Sutter to craft lines which the Canucks really had near an impossible time matching physically. Perhaps AV could have tried Torres with the Twins to ease size problems? Size, not talent, has been our down fall.

Adding Garrison and Kassian, a big depth centre (Malhotra revitalized, Lappy beefed up or Arnott) and another big wing and I reckon MG may have solved what little is missing from AV's coaching???

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 19 January 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#22 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,448 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

Take the worst coach in the NHL over the last oh, 6 years and make him the coach of Luongo, Sedin, Sedin, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Kesler, on and on and on and on.....and I will show you a coach with an awesome looking record but no cup wins.

I was wrong about AV all these years, I have always said he can not win a Stanley Cup, and I apologize for that clearly with an awesome team, any NHL coach could win a cup. If AV is eventually fired, I won't lose sleep, and I am curious to know who may inherit this team.....not likely to happen though, so i gave up wishing for it.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#23 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,249 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Deja vu

...all over again!

It wasn't that long ago I thought that the problem was AV. Hard to blame him though for injuries and a smallish non-gritty lineup not built for playoff hockey. Where I have had issues with him is in having the team prepared at times (see the wild fluctuations game to game in the Boston series) as well as the apparent inability to change things up when they aren't working (see that freaking drop pass in the neutral zone on the pp). Overall though, I've come to like AV as a coach.

Edited by MJDDawg, 19 January 2013 - 09:35 AM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#24 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

The best coach we've had since Quinn hands down, and one of the best in history, right up there with Neilson and Neale and Quinn for sure. But go ahead, since y'all are such fools and can't handle success, let's get rid of the coach, GM and starting goalie all at once. After all this is only the best run of seasons the franchise has ever had in its history, obviously someone is screwing up horribly and we might as well ditch everyone we can just to be safe.

Seriously, are our fans really this stupid or are all these people 5th columnists from Alberta and the east?

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#25 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Wacky line-up choices and personal grudges and butt-buddies aside, AV needs to acknowledge the necessity to be willing to change things up once in a while. Same-old same-old isn't going to cut it. Never has, never will. With a shortened season, he's going to need to act fast to keep on top of this team.

Seems like a contradiction there. Aren't those "wacky line-up choices" in fact a willingness to change things up?

With a team like this, it shouldn't be that hard to make the play-offs, and that shouldn't be too much of a concern. But who's to say we wont be subject to another early exit?

Do you think maybe there were reasons for last years early exit? Like our top goal scorer missing the first two games? Or Kesler playing with two injuries? Not to mention a few others that struggled after injury that season (Raymond and Booth). Then add in they were playing against one of the stingiest goalies in the league. If you think that early exit was a massive meltdown you'll have to explain to me how that very same LA team took out the wests 2nd and 3ed seeds in a grand total of 9 games.

The only issue (a serious issue) that AV gets cut slack on this season is prospect development. Although that is a vital issue this man is having... there's no time for that this season.

Everybody loves to point to Detroit as the model for success. The harping here about playing prospects is the complete opposite of that model. Prospects with a contender have to wait their turn. Period. You don't put prospects in for the sake of having a prospect on the roster. Conders let them develop in the minors and when presented an opportunity they have to seize that opportunity and prove they are the better option. Zetterberg played his first NHL game 4 years after he was drafted. They don't gift prospects a spot on their team, they have to earn it.

It should be common knowledge by now that a chimp could coach this team to success, and AV's success has been limited to one showing at the finals, and nothing else but disappointment.

One big reason for this teams succes is due to AV's insistance on a two way game from his players. He rewards players for good two way play and punishes them for weak defensive play. Raymond, Hodgson, Shirokov, Grabner, Hansen, and Kassian have all experienced reduced ice time and benching for poor defensive play. Ice time is both a reward and punishment for two way play with AV. He'll cut you slack during a scoring slump as long as you're not a handicap defensively. There's a reason Booth rarely steps on the ice in 4 on 4 OT. In todays NHL two way play essential for success and AV is very good at coaching it. I have no issue with a coach being very demanding in this aspect.

And before any of you come on here and tell me of his regular season accolades, turn around and tell that to the GM of a team that needs to worry about regular season success just to sell tickets. We need a playoffs coach, not a regular season "systems" coach.

FLAME AWAY!

You believe this team needs to "worry" about selling tickets? lmao

There's nothing wrong with AV's coaching. He did coach this team to game 7 of the finals with a crew of walking wounded. If the refs hadn't turned a blind eye and put their whistles away the team wouldn't have been nearly as beat up and likely would have won the cup. All this team needs is to get to the playoffs without key personell injured and it's good enough to have success.
Posted Image

#26 DCR

DCR

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

When people talk about replacing someone, the question that immediately comes to my mind is "who with?"

AV has the best record in franchise history, and the chances are that anyone they replaced him with would be worse. Yes, he has his flaws, but it's not like there are a plethora of better hockey coaches lying around just waiting for a job. Most of the really good coaches already have jobs, and the market is such that a good coach won't last long before someone hires them.

AV isn't perfect, but I don't see anyone better just waiting for a job.

#27 casofilia.canuck.nz

casofilia.canuck.nz

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

In professional sport everyone should be on "Thin Ice". The admin can only do as well as the guys on ice play. So if there are losses look at the players first!!

Go Canucks Go
Go CANUCKS Go.

#28 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

That "same-old same-old" coach got us to game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals and helped make this team into a contender. Have no idea why people think teams can just change a coach and nothing will go wrong. AV is a great coach and he tends to be the whipping boy when no one else is performing poorly, the off-season is happening, etc. You're just complaining to complain. You didn't bring up a single good point that was backed up by an example. All in all, this is a pretty poorly constructed argument and I consider that if you truly want to express your opinions about the man like this, take some more time and effort into your posts.

If you're a fan of this team, you should already know what the examples are, and I shouldn't have to repeat things that have been said hundreds of times on these boards. What this post is about is that this year should really determine AV's abilities. After all, we already know he's a crappy play-offs coach. If you argue that, you're not paying close enough attention.

I don't need to restate all of AV's shortcomings, and you don't need to restate his accolades. This year, it's boom or bust for AV. If he doesn't step it up, he's toast IMO.

You say I'm complaining for the sake of complaining? Well you're arguing for the sake of arguing. The facts are there. The players don't respond well to him. It's either get rid of him, or get rid of all the players... ...so...
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#29 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,059 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Posted Image

#30 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

AV is great at making players defensively responsable and we have had unprecedented success with him.

The thing that bothers me about AV is that he seems to let the players have too much say in what is gonna happen. Just a few examples that come to mind:

Lu deciding when he's going to be pulled if he happens to be crapping the bed. Fail

Now the Sedins are deciding who they want on the powerplay with them. I dunno, is AV the coach or just the fall guy to the media?

Not the best with matching up lines but he can only work with what he is given.

Because its defensive responsibility first and AV wants to keep his jerb, the younger players don't get a lot of opportunity here either.

There's some other examples but I can't think of 'em right now.

Queue Gollumpis with his boat picture.

Where's Smashian on this one? Pretty sure he doesn't love AV.

Edited by scottiecanuck, 19 January 2013 - 04:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.