The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Sedins' Next Contract

Where's Wellwood

After this shortenened season, the Sedins' contracts only have one more year left. Obviously the Canucks will re-sign them but for how much.

Should they received more than what they're currently making because of what they've achieved during their current contracts? Roughly the same? Less because they are entering their mid-30's and you have to factor in the potential for some decline?

Do their next contracts all depend on what they do this season and next? Should it be year by year from there on out or a multi-year? I remember reading comments by the Sedins that they would take it year by year after their current contracts run out. Does anybody else remember that?

I love the Sedins and I don't want them to go.

There's no point in them signing for a discount in their prime if they're gonna take more later on to make up for it. It's not like they're sacrificing much, except maybe a private jet.

I would think along the lines of a reduction in $ equal to any reduction in point totals. 3 years sounds good followed by a year or 2 after if they're up for it.

Sedins will likely sign 6 year $33 million contracts.

When their next contracts start Sedin twins will have turned 34. (September 2014)

I expect them to sign 6 year front loaded contracts, keeping in mind the variance rule. I don't think Sedins will play past 39 so they pbbly won't play out the 6th year.

Remember the cap - benefit recapture rule only applies to contracts 7 + years in length.

You have to really try and predict their production which is tricky considering the fact that they're probably the two best conditioned players in the league and very similar to Lidstrom.

I can see them scoring at a point-per-game or above for the next 2 seasons (including this one) then a drop to maybe 50-60 points which would make them worth about 5 million.

4 years, 5 mil.

Four years / 5 mil then if they have the legs will sign 1 yr's following. Gillis won't want to sign them to 5 years but will if he has to, and I doubt they want to sign that long, think they'd rather see where they are at when they are 38.

Just another reason we really need to get some offensive youth in the system via trade or draft this year. Window for these two guys to tutor is closing. The value they would bring to a potential young star is immeasurable, much how Linden did for them.

Only thing they must do, is retire as Nucks, unless of course we are so bad by then they are traded at a deadline like rentals for their chance at a cup if we haven't got one by then.

Archived