The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Schroeder doesn't play a game this season, Will he request to be traded?

Jordan Schroeder

Could the organization be treading on thin water regarding another 1st round prospect wanting out? He's probably paid his dues in the minors to atleast have played some games at the NHL level but keeps getting snubbed by he organization. You can only be so loyal without getting frustrated when you seem to have played well enough to earn a roster spot on the team. Then all these underserved players get spots over you must be frustrating. Ie. Barker, Ebett, Vandameer, Volpatti.

On top of that he probably views this a an opportunity to prove himself when there are so many injuries in the top 6. (Kesler and Booth) Yet the organization still doesn't give him a shot when there is a valid reason to atleast try.

He's probably thinking he has a limited amount of time left to prove that he can make the NHL and that he's earned a spot based on his play in camp.

In terms of his attitude and patience he's been really good about it but who knows how long that will last.

He's never complained, always worked hard and has tried to improve his 2 way game.

I fear he might start talking things over with his agent about the future he has with the Canucks and if better options lie ahead.

Thoughts?

Quite simply, Schroeder isn't good enough to play on the Canucks right now. I wanted to see him given the opportunity to fill in for Kes, but, obviously there are better, more experienced players to do the job. In a short season, you go with who's going to get the job done for you now. Schroeder isn't one of those guys, in management's eyes.

Unless he is traded to a weaker organization, I'm afraid you are looking at a career minor leaguer. He's just too small and not skilled enough to even control a game in the AHL.

To be honest, I would love to see more prospects getting more of a chance...but with this organization its rare to happen. If I was a prospect, I wouldn't resign and would want out...Its not a prospect friendly place in terms of advancement.

My two cents...

And yes, they should have played a healthy CoHo who was doing well instead of a 65% Kesler.

Could the organization be treading on thin water regarding another 1st round prospect wanting out? He's probably paid his dues in the minors to atleast have played some games at the NHL level but keeps getting snubbed by he organization. You can only be so loyal without getting frustrated when you seem to have played well enough to earn a roster spot on the team. Then all these underserved players get spots over you must be frustrating. Ie. Barker, Ebett, Vandameer, Volpatti.

On top of that he probably views this a an opportunity to prove himself when there are so many injuries in the top 6. (Kesler and Booth) Yet the organization still doesn't give him a shot when there is a valid reason to atleast try.

He's probably thinking he has a limited amount of time left to prove that he can make the NHL and that he's earned a spot based on his play in camp.

In terms of his attitude and patience he's been really good about it but who knows how long that will last.

He's never complained, always worked hard and has tried to improve his 2 way game.

I fear he might start talking things over with his agent about the future he has with the Canucks and if better options lie ahead.

Thoughts?

Because he's seen a bunch of young players in this organization not get the opporunity and then get traded to better ones. Hodgson is now potentially the #1 C for Buffalo and we all know how much more Grabner flourished in NYI while getting a massive pay day. Might have the mindset of wanting to escape a team where youngsters aren't given real shots at making the roster.

All the more reason to giving him a shot. 4 years is a long time and you want to develop a player just for him to leave because you never gave him an opporunity?

He might feel like it's now or never to make the NHL and establish himself and get his career going.

Fair or not fair he's probably getting impatient and that not going to be good thing if he truly feels like he deserves a shot.

Ie. Grabner and Hodsgson.

It's really tough being a contender isn't it?

When this team sucked and prospects had any easy time making the team it was, "We need to sign some quality UFA's" or "we need trade prospect/picks for guys that can actually help now". Now that we're a contender and it's, "They're not being fair to our prospects".

Canucks fans....never happy.

As a contender prospects are most valuable as depth players. To make a contender they need to play head and shoulders above guys who are waiver eligible. Otherwise you unnecessarily risk losing your waiver eligible players and hurting your depth in thge process.

Schroeder has to sieze his opportunities whether in camp or as a call-up. No prospect will be handed a spot on a contender.

JS will play plenty of games this year. MG said a couple of days ago that JS would get games soon.

Schroeder getting sent down has more to do with protecting veteran players from being lost on waivers than anything else. JS will be called up in a week or two.

To be honest, I would love to see more prospects getting more of a chance...but with this organization its rare to happen. If I was a prospect, I wouldn't resign and would want out...Its not a prospect friendly place in terms of advancement.

My two cents...

And yes, they should have played a healthy CoHo who was doing well instead of a 65% Kesler.

Alain Vigneault says Canucks won’t be going with 12 forwards, nine defenceman for very long

Don’t get too accustomed to the roster the Vancouver Canucks introduce Saturday night for their season opener Anaheim Ducks.

Coach Alain Vigneault said that he can’t see the Canucks running with the 12-forward, nine-defenceman format for an extended period.

Rearguard Cam Barker, Andrew Alberts and Jim Vandermeer are the scratches against the Ducks, while Andrew Ebbett has the second-line centre gig, winning the spot from Jordan Schroeder in training camp.

He’s between Mason Raymond and Zack Kassian to start against the Ducks. Henrik and Daniel Sedin are with Alex Burrows on the first line, while Max Lapierre is between Chris Higgins and Jannik Hansen on the third line and the fourth features Dale Wiese and Aaron Volpatti flanking Manny Malhotra.

Defence pairings see Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis together, while new contract man Alex Edler is with Jason Garrison and Chris Tanev teams with Keith Ballard.

“For the time being, this is how we’re going to start, but I would not predict us keeping nine defencemen very, very long, if I was in the prediction business,” he said.

Vigneault said the fact that Schroeder could be set down without needing waivers played into the Canuck decision.

“It was part of the early decision that we had to make,” Vigneault said. “I thought Schroeds played really well, especially that last game. That being said, Andrew had a real strong camp also. He has more experience and in Chicago he had been their most consistent forward.”

Archived