The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Schroeder doesn't play a game this season, Will he request to be traded?

Jordan Schroeder

Funny that suddenly the +/- is everything when talking of Grabner now that his most recent season is -18 (on one of the crappiest team with the worst goaltending). I'm sure if (name deleted) was a fan of someone with -18, you wouldn't hear about it, as it wouldn't be beneficial to his arguement.

Bottom line is Grabner is a bonafied NHLer and MG let him go, with a 1st rounder and a plug for a $4mil Dman who has never found his niche in Van thanks to AV.

Back on topic, JS will get his chances. His spirit will need to be incredibly noble, though,in order to override his shortcomings.

isn't it hilarious how the montreal canadians do it for years and they're geniuses, the redwings do it for years and they're geniuses.. but the second the canucks shelter young players, they're ruining prospects and running them out of town lol

course not , guys still young as hell and by monday morning he might even be called up if one center goes down

we need him depth wise this season , even if hes never played a game , think about it

players are going to go down , and the team knows it

thats why gillis said that he expects Schroeder to come up this year

He will be back up, just salary cap reasons, he clearly played well enough to earn a shot, and AV liked what he saw.

I will start to get worried if he goes 2-3 weeks without a call up, but I expect him to be called up sometime next week honestly, unless Ebbett scores in every game & plays exceptional or something.

Edit: I don't think he would request a trade anyways, the guy is loaded with character IMO, and he has worked very hard for a long time. I don't see any issues like there was with Cody.

course not , guys still young as hell and by monday morning he might even be called up if one center goes down

we need him depth wise this season , even if hes never played a game , think about it

players are going to go down , and the team knows it

thats why gillis said that he expects Schroeder to come up this year

OP hit the nail on the head. The Canucks have been absolutely abysmal when it comes to letting their "valued" prospects have a chance to show their worth in the NHL. We saw it with Grabner, we saw it with Hodgson, we're seeing it now with Sauve and Connaughton. Even if you look further back you see how the Sedins were always given much less icetime as youngsters than their stats suggested they should get. If Cory Schneider weren't such an incredibly patient, team-player type of guy would he have wanted out after being forced to play 2nd fiddle for 2 years to a guy he was clearly outperforming?

I get that the Canucks are a deep team and that they have other options that help them win "now", but if we don't throw a few games at these kids once in a while how long can we expect them to stick around? Its also good for their development to see what the NHL game is all about. There are other deep teams in this league that are giving their youngsters a look and reaping the rewards from it as well. The Canucks on the other hand are looking at having a ridiculously bad team once thise core group retires because we've alienated all our prospects.

Younger players coming up often hit a ceiling with the organization which drafted them.

Look at Pittsburg. Are they bad managers of their assets because Staal asked to be traded because he saw that he wasn't going to be anything more than a 3C in their organization?

regards,

G.

The +/- isn't everything, but the poster that claimed Grabner was top 3 two years in a row was wrong. He simply wasn't.

And, to say that 32 points is a "bonafied" NHL player is giving 32 points a lot of credit. Especially a player playing in a top 6 role. Grabner at -18 certainly shows no abilities as checking line player, or 4th line crasher, so top 6 it is. I'd be wanting a little more than 32 points from my $3M player

Archived